Boss PS-5 Super shifter

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by semi-hollowbody, Jun 25, 2008.

1. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

Anyine have the boss PS-5 super shifter pedal?
    How useful is it?

2. mike@nortoncable.com

mike@nortoncable.com Member

I had one before - its can do some 12 string kind of effects, has a whammy option sort of when you hold the bypass down, Also can do Pitch shifted delays- , if you looking for more dynamic pitch glides the Whammy reissue is more suited for Glides vs the PS5, if space on the pedalboard is an issue the PS5 is great, the usuall tiny boss chassis. Almost forgot, It doesn't like tracking Chords into the upper register,for instance a high G major @ the 14th fret octave up sometimes can sound gargley.

As for useful - well it all depends on what your after..
    I owned one for 2 weeks, took it back swapped even for a digitech whammy IV Reissue and that was more custom to playing audioslave or steve Vai stuff over the boss.

3. LouRossi

LouRossi Member

Sold it and continued to use my Whammy (wh-1 @ home & xp-100 for live)

4. Tbone135

Tbone135 Member

I have one song that I have to have it on my board for. It does pitch shifting and harmonizing really well as long as the pedal is AFTER the distortions. It's pretty fun with the expression pedal too.

5. gearboy

gearboy Member

I use it for the Whammy function and a pre-dirt chorusy effect. I wish the detune tracked better.....we could use the vocal help!

6. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

I had one, and dumped it. Its a much better pitch shifter/harmonizer than a whammy as far as live performance, but It doesn't do "whammy" effects well at all. Its also a lot more controllable than the whammy. I feel like I want to pick one up again just so I can re-introduce live harmonies.

7. nek

nek Member

I have one set up that depending on mode gives two useful live sounds. One is an octave down and the second is a slight periodic detune that combined with a flanger give a great leslie simulation.

8. ?&!

?&! Member

I had one, and I loved it. I sold it 'cuz my new amp doesn't have an FX loop, and it doesn't track for sh!t through the front end. I pretty much used it for Iron Maiden-style harmonized leads (harmonist set for diatonic thirds in whatever key the solo was in), and it sounded killer. You have to make sure that it is in the loop, and you are really, really in tune, or it will sound weird. I actually like the Whammy effects on the PS-5 better than an actual Whammy pedal. You can set the speed of the pitch shift, then step on and hold the bypass pedal for some weird effects. You can set it for quick octave jumps (ala Jack White) or dives, or you can set it really slow for a crescendo or decrescendo effect. If you use an expression pedal, it will do most stuff that a Whammy will. I'll buy one again if I ever get another amp with an FX loop.