Boss PS-6. cool or gimmicky?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by RussT, Mar 3, 2015.

1. RussT

RussT Member

Hey guys I was keen on a Boss PS-6 for a harmoniser pedal – even though it’s a pitch shifter I’m pretty sure it functions better than the boss HR 2

Any comments on PS 6 vs HR 2

But mainly im interest in what ppl think of the PS 6 overall. The S-Bend seems really cool and I play in a pretty experimental band – but im unsure of whether this pedal is practical or just a bit gimmicky with all the pitch shifting tricks it can do

Also when set to major or minor is it just doing major/minor 3rds etc for each not you are doing or does it move diatonically to the scale you are in ie in D minor it can tell that a D tracks a minor third for the harmony same for the E, but F will go up a major third? Its pretty important I think for a harmoniser to do this…

Anyone got any comments. Love or hate for the PS 6 ?

Alternative recommendations in the harmony/pitchshifting market?

2. twp

twp Likes guitars; loves music... Silver Supporting Member

I've owned both - kept the PS-6 but the HR-2 is great as well.

HR-2 didn't track perfectly but was definitely workable. There is a "dry input" as well - you can run a totally clean signal into that (say from the tuner out of a master buffer) and it will track based on the clean signal, even if the dry signal presented to the effect input is distorted. That helps a lot with tracking. What I liked most about the HR-2 was the ability to dial in two separate voices with separate mix controls for each.

The PS-6 tracks really well and sounds nice enough. The s-bend function is cool - kind of a poor mans whammy that doesn't take a ton of board space. Expression pedal option makes it pretty versatile. Sometimes in use my PS6 in the loop of my superego. Can build some harmonies there difficult to achieve otherwise.

3. twp

twp Likes guitars; loves music... Silver Supporting Member

The PS-6 does this in Harmonist mode (diatonic pitch shift) but not in Pitch Shift mode.

4. charmonder

charmonder Member

Personally, I prefer the digitech whammy in harmony setting for minor/major thirds. it's cool to use the pedal to shift and if the song changes keys you're still in good shape.

5. BrandonAy

BrandonAy Member

I don't like its harmony settings, but the pitch shift, detune, and S-bend are all cool features. It's like a not-as-good Whammy, without the Whammy size.

6. Belmont

Belmont Member

it's one of the very few pedals that surprised me in a positive way.
    I use it in combination with a Whammy V, the two together make a potent pair.

7. Transmisser

Transmisser Member

+1

I Like mine too.

8. ERGExplorer

ERGExplorer Member

My biggest recommendation is to consider not whether you think it's "gimmicky," but instead think about whether you want/need any tasks which the pedal performs. If you have a use for it, it is useful and practical for *you*. If you don't have a need for it, it is superfluous for *you*.

Thinking in this way makes gear purchases easy. You only worry about utility, and not about whether it fits someone else's definition of being a gimmick.

I hope that way of thinking about it frees you from "gimmicky" even being a consideration in the future.

9. RussT

RussT Member

yep very true, but sadly i am a gear whore and have to have everything that even appeals to me in the slightest way for a minute feature. :brick

10. Godspeed64

Godspeed64 Member

I bought the PS-6 for the detune mode, to replace an Ibanez FL301 for light modulation and add a few modes alongside as well.

It is such a great, great tool. I have way too many settings for it and constantly switch around.
    In case you'd ever be interested:
    Pitch Shifter, +12 up, left guitar up till 2:15. Used to create a pad-like feel.
    https://atlasbandsg.bandcamp.com/track/we-edge-closer-to-the-start-2

S-Bend, -12 down, right guitar between 0:30 to 1:00 for a swooping stuttered sound.
    https://atlasbandsg.bandcamp.com/track/attractor-dynamics
    Same effect here: https://atlasbandsg.bandcamp.com/track/tread-softly-in-the-half-light-2

I also have a song with my groove rock band where I go Morello-esque but that's not been recorded yet. I also use the Detune mode regularly.

11. thecornman

thecornman Member

Love it and use it all the time!

12. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Pitch detune chorus for the win, just a hint of it blended in. Thick and substantial without the modulation, it's a effect that stands up regardless of wether your playing it clean or balls to wall breakup.

13. shinksma

shinksma Member

I've been looking at a PS-6 so I can accomplish the harmonized guitar solos at the end of Hotel California. In theory it should work fine, but I worry that my technique will make it all go sideways.

Maybe I should just buy one and see. :idea

Nah.

I need to over-analyze and dig through endless TGP threads and Youtube videos of other people and their skills for another couple weeks.

:nuts

And then I'll buy one, and wonder why I hadn't had it all these years.

:bkw

14. stucker

stucker Member

If you have a good understanding of harmony and can set the key correctly for a particular song the PS-6 is very powerful. It tracks very well. I like the detune function as well but haven't experimented much with the bending and pitch shifting features.