Boss quality controll - deteriorating ???

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by hamfist, Jan 13, 2008.

1. hamfist

hamfist Member

Am I the unluckiest man on the planet, or is Boss QC going down the pan ?

I've played the guitar for over 20 years, but only owned my first Boss pedal in the last year. I thought I should be safe as Boss's reliability record seems to be well known.

Anyway, my first purchase (brand new !) was a DD-6. That died after about a week. I took that back to the shop, thinking that it must be a one-off, and I used the refund value , plus a bit extra to get a DD-20. But now, 4 months down the line, the DD-20 has just died on me. :jo

It's not as if I'm hard on my pedals. They always stay velcroed into my flightcased pedalboard. And I only get out of the house about once a fortnight. I'm pretty gentle with my feet too. The DD-20 was powered with a dedicated Boss PSA power supply as well.

So am I seriously unlucky, or is Boss's QC really starting to slip recently ?

2. somedude

somedude Member

I've never had a Boss pedal die on me... including some of their recent pedals.

3. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

Use your foot to stomp the pedal, not an axe. :)

4. screamtone

screamtone Supporting Member

+1...

I've worn some Boss pedals out by using them 4-5 nights a week, every week for 4 or 5 years, but breaking one is unheard of in my neck of the woods. Even the ones I wore out still worked, just not as well. Sounds like bad luck to me.

5. MjCartney

MjCartney Neo-Maxi Zoom Dweebie Silver Supporting Member

6. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

Never had one go south on me

7. hamfist

hamfist Member

I would doubt a power spike. The power in the UK seems pretty steady. Other people's Bosses seem to cope with all sorts of dodgy power so ..........Yup, looks like I am the unluckiest man on the planet. :puh

8. homestar_kevin

homestar_kevin Member

Yeah, it's honestly probably you man. hahaha thats rough, but boss easily makes the most solid products in the pedal game. I've never had one die from normal use, I've messed one up using the wrong adapter but that was me.. not the pedal.

9. bluesmann

bluesmann Guest

That sounds kinda rare to me also. The only issues i've had was a few years back with a bad switch and that was easly replaced.

stress not! 5 year warrantee

10. IAE

IAE Member

i would tend to agree boss QC has dropped as years ago boss were THE pedal to rely on.

i bought an RC2 and it died on me within 3 months,its in getting repaired now.
    i hear the odd complaint about boss effects dying but i never heard this complaint in the 90's.

11. crosse79

crosse79 Member

Never had a boss pedal die on me before..... tough luck man. Try one more tiem - after that go for a Nova Delay :)

12. mrmuzikhead

mrmuzikhead Member

Everything Boss /Roland I've ever had was bulletproof but my little microverb amp died an early death. No abuse, some components inside just disintegrated. Looked like it was due to moisture but the amp was never exposed to any moisture. Strange.........I miss it but won't buy another one.

13. bluesmann

bluesmann Guest

just a added 2 cents

Everything i've bought thats Boss has always performed to my expectation or higher. I have a personal practice amp a cube 30x that i use sitting next to my computer learning songs. It has a good lead tone i like to use and when i need a cleaner tone for stuff like "sultans of swing" i just back off the volume on my guitar a little. its a great little tool for personal practice. I also have a Br864 8 track digital recorder. Same thing great portable tool that sounds top notch! There's some really smart people at Boss!

Thank you Boss!

14. JeffreyC

JeffreyC Member

My Boss TU2 just recently went haywire on me. It flashes the cent lights like a christmas tree when powered up. It's just over a year old which means the parts are still under warranty, but the labor is not. It would cost about $50 + to send it in for repair - bummer, that's half the value of the pedal and I could probably get a used one for that.

Before this, I've had many boss pedals and not had any problems. My DD20 is still working fine after 2+ years of continued use as is my TR2 and old Super chorus from early 90's.

15. bluesmann

bluesmann Guest

have you got it in stream meter mode? 11 LED's lighting?

16. Joses

Joses Member

hmm, i'd honestly say its tough luck. i've been using the same TU-2 for the last 5-6 years and its still ever faithful and reliable, and to my knowledge all of my friends using boss pedals almost never seem to complain about them dieing (in fact now that i think of it - never)

17. JeffreyC

JeffreyC Member

Hmmmm, could be I guess. Not sure. How do I tell?

18. bluesmann

bluesmann Guest

in one mode the 11 LED's light up and move in one direction or the other. if thats what you were talking about with lights flashing your tuner not broken.

19. JeffreyC

JeffreyC Member

Cool - thx. I'll check it out tonight and look over the manual too.

20. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

Ive been buying boss pedals left and right lately and have yet to have a problem.
    Sorry about the bad luck...