Boss RC-10R Rhythm Loop Station

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by flyingmusicman, Jul 11, 2019.

1. guitarmek

guitarmek Member

oh yeah that'd be pretty nice!

i ask mostly because i've been eying a 300 lately. would love it if they just made a compact (well compared to the 300 lol) version with 3 loops and 6 buttons (play/stop for each loop) -- the drums are interesting to me but to me just a bonus.

does anyone know if you can load your own drum sounds or if it has any 808 sounds or other electric kits? that would certainly make the rhythm side more appealing to me.

2. crumjack

crumjack Member

I am interested to see this when it’s in the wild. And see what the MIDI capabilities are like.

I know, or at least highly doubt, this unit can do this, but I would love something this that can not just loop but also be used to trigger backing tracks.

3. xcc

xcc Member

According to the manual this thing can sync to MIDI, which is rare amongst looper pedals. So that’s cool.

Not Orange likes this.
  4. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I dunno, this just seems like a letdown. Yes, it's nice to have a drum machine integrated with a looper but there's some serious deficiencies here compared to the other stuff that's available:
    1. The drum machine is pre-packaged loops. I'm guessing you can create your own in software, but it's still just a Boss drum machine like they've been building forever. Doesn't feel like the Beat Buddy which is spawning an ecosystem of hacks and cool rhythms. And nothing like the Digitech choices which can detect your playing and shape a custom loop for that.
    2. Only 2 parts? What song only has two parts? Even classic rock and 60s RnB has verse, chorus, bridge. The Trio+ and similar can do 5 parts. The old Boss 500 series looper does at least 3 per song.
    3. Integrating the looper-what does this really bring to the table? With the Digitech, it's the one thing I'd love to see changes-the ability to record the loop and have the drum machine create the rhythm at the same time. Here, you've got a drum machine and a looper in the same box, but it appears the only thing they communicate back and forth is the start/end and change part. Having a Beat Buddy and a midi-enabled looper would give you the same functionality with more advanced capabilities?
    4. Oh yeah, and both the Trio+ and the Beat Buddy can add bass lines to the "drum" part.

If it were super cheap then maybe it'd be worth jumping on, but it doesn't seem like that's the direction Boss is going. Not the game changer I would have hoped for.

5. MartyReasoner

MartyReasoner Member

I own a beat buddy and it's not my thing. Believe me, I have gone deeep with the midi. I want this boss looper to simplify things. I'll wait for the midi parameters and once I confirm this is decent from a clock I/o perspective my beat butlddy and ditto x4 are going for sale. I use my beat buddy as a glorified metronome it seems like sometimes, but I love having a beat on my board. I also only want a simple looper. This is a perfect product for me.

Suarkttam and inheritsfrom like this.
  6. MartyReasoner

MartyReasoner Member

When someone figures out how to get their hands on the parameter manual, please post the link here. I don't think it exists yet.

7. townsend

townsend Member

With the RC-10R, can one download backing tracks from online sites and store them in the 50 user locations available? I am referring to backing tracks from a site such as this one: https://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/

I think the RC-1 has that capacity, but I have never owned an RC-1. Thanks.

8. JELIFISH19

JELIFISH19 Member

I just see it as a looper with a decent rhythm section. Does it really need to be more than that. The Beat Buddy isn't a looper and the Trio isn't a great one. Most multitrack loopers are only 2 tracks. A Beat Buddy with a midi looper may do the same thing and more but a multitrack looper with midi isn't cheap. An Infinity Looper (cheapest multitrack looper with midi and ability to save loops) is $450 and a beat Buddy is $300. Getting both is more than twice as much as the rc-10r. I think the rc-10 is fine for what it is right now. But who knows, no one has one yet and there's still a lot of missing information. We don't know it's flaws and we don't even have the full parameter guide.

Not Orange likes this.
  9. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Cheapest midi enabled looper is the RC-50 at $250 used. Still, you do have a point. But what would prevent you from buying an old Boss drum machine and using one track on the RC50 for the drum track? It does take up more space, though... I'm sure this will sell, just think it's a missed opportunity to be great.

10. Quad4

Quad4 Member

Does the RC-10R have 99 individual phrases? Or does it have 198 total phrases counting the A and B parts of the 99 slots?

11. DecoWaves

DecoWaves Silver Supporting Member

I find this product to have piqued my interest; the key: A real/dedicated looper with a direct, but optional, connection to a rhythm/drum machine.

I ventured down the path of having the Beat Buddy and trying to midi sync that with the TC Ditto X4 and, shortly soon after, an Infinity Looper --> read: there was a lot of money and board real estate tied up in the combination of those pedals. While it had some cool features and solid sounds for sure, I ended up selling the Beat Buddy and various high-end loopers because it whole setup felt too complicated -- not very stable in the midi clock sync -- and just not as fun to sit down and play much less attempt live.

As for the Trio, it always seemed much more for a practice and song writing tool than that of a spontaneous live performance and, as was, a lot more focus on the whole rhythm portion and less attention to the looper. While perhaps possible, it just seemed like it was sort of all or nothing.

This new Boss Looper just seems to fit nicely right somewhere in the middle. A very reasonable size, dedicated/independent looper, optional rhythm function with its own controls and ... for $300, well below the cost of the Beat Buddy with a Midi-Sync compatible looper. From first appearances, it looks simple (not gimmicky) and as if it would feel natural to use in a live setting.

inheritsfrom, Not Orange and Jerome like this.
  12. Not Orange

Not Orange Supporting Member

I'm waiting for some people who get a chance for hands on experience. But I am interested

13. JELIFISH19

JELIFISH19 Member

There's nothing stopping you. But space and simplicity is a big deal. The cost is also a big deal. Even if you get a rc-50 and an old drum machine, would the results be better than the rc-10r even though you spent the same amount of money or more?

I think it's great so far. I'm planning on preordering it as soon as the parameter guide is available. I was actually waiting on a good deal for an ehx 22500 because it's a multitrack looper with some rhythm capabilities. But this seems better in almost every way for my needs. There aren't many multitrack loopers out there and they start at $260.

The thing that would really send it over the edge is an octave option for simulated bass but I understand why it's not there since those pedals are best in the front of the signal path and loopers typically work best last. It might also be better as a 500 series pedal with 3 switches for a bit extra flexibility. But otherwise, it seems to do exactly what I want from a looper. But that's the thing with loopers. There isn't one that works for everyone. If you make one that has everything a looping fanatic wants, it becomes too complicated for people who just want a simple looper. A looper isn't like other pedals. Everyone has different needs out of them and there are very few options. This will be a game changer for some people.

14. Quad4

Quad4 Member

IMHO, a device needs to be able to play both recordable tracks simultaneously (in parallel) to be called multi-track.

Your mileage may vary.

15. 2+2=5

2+2=5 Member

and the Winner is...

16. Zakor

Zakor Member

I’m pre-ordering one... looks like a good balance

17. MartyReasoner

MartyReasoner Member

I dunno about you but my midi experience with the Ditto X4 has been very disappointing. Sync is bad and always cuts off my attack at beginning of my recording. The midi parameters for some reason do not include undue or redo, quite possibly the most absurd omission in any product I have encountered.

18. p.mo

p.mo Supporting Member

my brain hurts watching that guy play and tap dance. did it take like 40 hours to program that thing to do one song?

xcc likes this.
  19. Waldo Nova

Waldo Nova Member

As much as I appreciate the detailed section in the manual re: adding the rubber feet to each corner of the bottom of the pedal... This looper does not have a "PLAY-ONCE" feature. This is a make or break feature in loopers for me and useless without it. One would think that by now, this would be a standard feature. Am I the only one that requires this in a looper?

baseggio likes this.
  20. Quad4

Quad4 Member

It's not clear if the RC-10r has or (doesn't have) a play once feature. This should be covered in the infamous "Parameter Guide".

My guess is it may have that feature, and hopefull it plays well with other feartures. For example if they expose a true up/down via footswitch or midi, will that go the the A or B section ... and do you have a choice?

Waldo Nova likes this.