Boss RC-10R Rhythm Loop Station

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by flyingmusicman, Jul 11, 2019.

1. yoyo1983

yoyo1983 Member

2. DecoWaves

DecoWaves Silver Supporting Member

Yes; I experienced similar issues with the Ditto X4, both: having a perceivable volume drop right at the start of a loop and, drifting, if not losing, the sync with the Midi Clock over time. Great while it worked but unstable. When I find myself spending more time on user forums or searching and hoping for update firmware than that of actually using the pedal -- that's a big red flag.

Having shared that ... my issues with the Infinity Looper were numerous too. The tasks I was tried to accomplish with these loopers is very simple; I'm not a crazy deep-diving looper and yet, both the Ditto X4 and Infinity continued to randomly trip up. I went through at least two Infinity Loopers, working with the company to troubleshoot one of them, hoping for new firmware updates, searching and reading blogs only to find out so many others had similar issues and, if one was lucky to find a solution, it felt more like voodoo magic than something based on logical explanation. Throw in a beat buddy and midi sync into the mix and .... Point being: Ended up not being nearly as much fun/enjoyable as I was hoping.

Returning to my initial thoughts on this thread, until now there seemed to be no middle ground or solid combination of what seems like two devices/functions that seem to be made for each other. Our choices were: (1) buying a fancy/expensive looper (more likely to have software glitches) and combine that with some sort of rhythm unit, (2) get a mid-level looper with just some basic background beats (often with little or no control over the rhythm section), or (3) venture down the Trio Path which was sort of cool and cheesy all at the same time but, did not lend itself well to a live performance.

All just my observations and opinions --- I do think this new Boss Pedal is headed in the right direction in having both a looper and rhythm/drum pedal tied together in one unit but with separate controls and option to use either together or independently. I could Boss easily expanding on this through secondary controls (aux switches) or using their 500-series pedal format to have dual looper and rhythm section (think: rc-30 upgraded to a 500 enclosure ...)

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  3. MartyReasoner

MartyReasoner Member

I agree with you 100 percent.

Blue Bee likes this.
  4. Waldo Nova

Waldo Nova Member

I sure hope so. :) That's a feature that only about 3 or 4 loopers have and dictated which looper I ultimately went with. I would think that information wouldn't be buried somewhere (or not even written yet) in the manual.

Zakor likes this.
  5. Quad4

Quad4 Member

No new info. Refers to a September release date.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  6. Zakor

Zakor Supporting Member

Sure hope it has a play once feature.
    Another New video of the unit. The rep mentions that they are still finalizing the details...

7. Not Orange

Not Orange Supporting Member

After viewing several of their demo videos it's obviously their RC-1 and DR-880 drum machine in one pedal.
    No user defined rhythms new kits/sounds like a Beat Buddy. No autogenerated rhythms like the Trio or the SDrum.
    Very old wine in a new bottle. Hard pass for me.

8. DecoWaves

DecoWaves Silver Supporting Member

The RC-1 can only do one loop with overdubs. With the RC-10R, it can do two different tracks allowing for independent verse and chorus loops/parts as an example. This, to me, is a big difference between these two units among other things. I am curious as to how that will work if one only wants to do loops (no rhythm). Also ... I would be curious to see if the quantization can be applied to the loop with a user set tapped tempo w/o having the rhythm tracks. I would suspect, based on control panel style control, there might be some very nice deep editing features to allow the pedal to work in a lot of different ways.

This will probably be just one of those things that we will have to see the manual when it comes out ....

9. Quad4

Quad4 Member

Really hoping the RC-10R gets a full set of features. Hopefully Boss makes this pedal a serious, perhaps simpler competitor to the Aeros Loop Studio.

Hoping Boss/Roland is listening to their customers and has support for:
    • Up/Down phrase/memory via footswitch/midi
    • Write operation during playback (this might be easy or hard depending on the underlying design) via footswitch/midi
    • Play once (one shot) phrases
    • More than just two section song phrases (e,.g., beyond AB). The above items are all in support fo that.
    • Ability to name phrases/memory locations (demos show this for Rhythms so there's hope).
    • Quantization on/off control and options
    • Midi control of any button press or option value.
    • Series looping
    • Overdub Fade control
    Nice thing about digital pedals is that there's a lot of enhancement that can be added to the basic platform via pure software changes. Suspect there's a time crunch to release, but perhaps after launch.

Would love to see a pedal that provides upgrades to a basic platform features beyond the initial v1.1 post lunch bug fix. H9 is smart in this way. There are a bunch of creative ways to support this from a business perspective.....

Turnipfarmer likes this.
  10. Zakor

Zakor Supporting Member

My recollection is that Boss was not great at updating things with new enhancements. Is this still how they operate?

Not Orange likes this.
  11. baseggio

baseggio Member

MIDI, onboard storage, nice display, and a small-ish footprint is enough to get my attention. But I'm definitely waiting for more specifics.

12. brewbaker

brewbaker Supporting Member

Just watched some of the videos and skimmed the manual. Song structure capabilities, part A, part B, where’s the bridge?

13. Zakor

Zakor Supporting Member

I'm just trying to find the bridge
    Has anybody seen the bridge?
    Please
    Have you seen the bridge?
    I ain't seen the bridge!
    Where's that confounded bridge?

presence and JosephZdyrski like this.
  14. Not Orange

Not Orange Supporting Member

Take it to the bridge.

[​IMG]

15. scottrolf

scottrolf Member

Does anyone see this replacing the RC-300?

I have the 300 but don’t use the expression pedal or the EFX.

If the RC-10R can at least accomplish what the 300 does less what I explained I don’t use, then I’d really be interested just based on the real estate savings alone.

Any help on this?

Thanks

16. YOGA64

YOGA64 Member

Any news about shipping time of this unit?

17. mac jones

mac jones Member

No news. I've been checking. No reliable ETA. You can never tell with these. It could be today, or next month. I would count on next month

Of course the usual suspects have pre-orders with low ball ETA estimates to get your dollars.

18. pouldam

pouldam Member

flyingmusicman and amitsnyderman like this.
  19. mac jones

mac jones Member

Thanks for that. Not sure when this will be out. I would count on the middle of next month, but I will buy one for $300, which ain't cheap. I like BOSS stuff. I may also by their new synth pedal. Lot's of new stuff.

20. claxor

claxor Member

Looked at the parameter guide. Looked at the MIDI section. Confused as to which CC# controls things like start loop, stop loop, etc. (see pg. 10)