Boss RC-2 looper owners - some pointers needed

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by MartinC, Sep 28, 2008.

1. MartinC

MartinC Member

Just bought myself an RC-2. I'm a newbie to the world of loopers.

I was trying the pedal out for the first time last night and couldn't figure something out. I read the manual but still no luck. So here I am ... :huh

Using the "Auto" mode I was able to record and overdub a loop that included several measures (4/4 bars). No problem ...:phones

Using the normal record/playback/overdub mode (indicated by a black circle and an arrow pointing to the right on the mode knob) I couldn't do the same thing ... :dunno

Here's what I was doing:
    • First I picked a drum pattern and set the tempo.
    • Next I set the mode knob to the normal record/playback/overdub position
    • Then I pressed the pedal to start recording. What I found happening was the RC-2 would record for 1 measure, then repeat that first measure whilst I continued recording measure 2. During measure 3 I could hear what I'd recorded in both measures 1 and 2. And so it went on ... whatever I played was just added to a stack of single recorded measures. By measure 12, I could hear 12 recordings all playing simultaneously.
    • Next I pressed the pedal to stop recording ... and erased what I had recorded by holding the pedal down for 2+ seconds.
    I tried the above a few times (following what I think the manual says to do ... on pages 13-15). I even tried selecting a different, empty phrase track to clear out any recording that I thought I may have done accidentally. Still no luck. I really want to use the regular (non-Auto) recording mode 'cos the Auto mode means I'm going to have to play something right at the beginning of the first measure to kick off the recording ... and I mightn't want that.

Can any experienced RC-2 owners give me some pointers?

I'm 90% sure that this is user error, but does anyone think my pedal is not working as Boss intended?

Thanks!

2. Jimi D

Jimi D Member

Unless you're tapping the pedal at the start of each measure, I don't know why it should behave like that... Mine starts recording when I tap (once!) and continues to do so until I tap (once!) again, at which point it stops recording until I tap again (once!) to add something to the loop...

3. MartinC

MartinC Member

Nope ... just tapping once to start recording.

4. MartinC

MartinC Member

Anyone else able to help?

5. MartinC

MartinC Member

6. MartinC

MartinC Member

Aw ... c'mon ... gotta be someone out there with some experience with the non-auto mode ...

7. johnrambo

johnrambo Member

i use the standard mode only but i've never bothered to set up a drum beat before i started recording. typically i just add it in later if at all.

8. Tube Guy

Tube Guy Silver Supporting Member

I sometimes start recording, tap out four beats (not on the pedal) without guitar then hit stop. That way I can start the drum backing going on it's own at the the right tempo and then add guitar next.

There are videos on Youtube of a young german kid doing some simple, but impressive demos.

9. MartinC

MartinC Member

OK ... hadn't thought about doing that.

When you're tapping out the four beats, are you doing this before setting the tempo using the tap tempo feature ... and without the guide playing?

Thanks

10. Tube Guy

This is an alternative to using the tap tempo. At this point there is no guide playing.

The other point to note is that you actually need to tap/count the length of the loop you want to record which may be more than 4 beats.

So:
    1) press pedal to record
    2) tap/count out the loop length (no guide playing) with guitar volume off or not being played
    3) press pedal and guide starts to play
    4) let guide play on its own for one or more loops
    5) press pedal to record first guitar part (you'll need to make sure you get the start of the loop)

11. MartinC

MartinC Member

Thanks Tube Guy.

You've got some seriously nice gear for sale by the way ... makes me wonder how tasty the guitars you're keeping must be! One of my nearest shops is a Collings dealer. I've never played one 'cos I'm a little scared of finding a guitar that I just have to have ... they're ludicrously expensive in Australia. Over $10,000 for a City Limits Deluxe. 290 would probably be my cuppa.

12. Tube Guy