• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Boss RC-2 quantization

funkycaveman

Hey all! I've been trying to get some more info on the RC-2's quantize feature. This seems great for most loops but I have stuff I want to loop in other time signatures (6/8 for example). Since the RC-2 only can quantize to 4/4 and 3/4, I am hesitant to purchase it.

Obviously, I don't want the pedal to try and put the loop in a time it is not in. I've read the manual and searched for other posts and it seems that quantization is only enabled IF you enable it. Otherwise the loop you record (timing and all) is what is played. Is this correct?

I know that it won't be able to quantize to 6/8 but I am trying to make sure that I can disable the quantize feature so if I record in 6/8, the loop will be in 6/8.

Thanks!

tmuka

you can record without the metronome on the rc-2, that works just like the hold function on the dd-6 if you're familiar with that. without the metronome your tapping accuracy is much more crucial to setting up a well timed loop. if you're playing by yourself it really wont matter, it just takes a little more work. my guess is that you should try setting the time signature to 3/4 when recording in 6/8. Just pick a rhythm sound that is more metronome like and you should be fine. all you really care about for quantization is that the start and end tap happen at the right moment. that is where the quantization helps.

i no longer own my rc-2 since i moved to a computer based setup with mobius, but i hope this helps!

tmuka

if i remember correctly the jamman will do any time signature 1-17 / 4. or something like that... i gave mine to my dad for christmas or i'd check for you... hope this helps!

ToneJamFX

if i remember correctly the jamman will do any time signature 1-17 / 4. or something like that... i gave mine to my dad for christmas or i'd check for you... hope this helps!
Thanks, that was the only thing holding me back on buying that.

funkycaveman

So do you all think the jamman would be better for looping odd time signatures? I was originally leaning toward the jamman but I had read that it affects your tone more than the Rc-2.

funkycaveman

I ended up going with the Jamman. Got it for like 50% off at a New Years blowout sale!

So far, I couldn't be happier. Works well with different time signatures. Still experimenting. Timing the overdubs is a little bit tricky!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom