Boss RC-3 owners, are you happy?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by HiBoost, Jan 22, 2012.

1. HiBoost

HiBoost Member

Thinking about getting one of these but there were some rumors of "issues" when it first released (though I couldn't find anything concrete on what those actually were)... just trying to figure out if this thing has proven to be pretty solid or if I should look elsewhere for a quality looper...

Thanks,
    Jeff

2. Steve Mavronis

Steve Mavronis Member

I got one in the beginning of January and love it. I did get the 1.20 update from the Boss website via USB cable. Just follow the update instructions carefully. I also backed up the folders from the RC-3 to my PC as a precaution which i will do periodically.

3. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

The only thing i dislike is that it goes straight from record to overdub. Wish it went straight to play without overdubbing.

4. crxshdxmmy

crxshdxmmy Supporting Member

^^ You can change that. Check the manual.

5. arch23

arch23 Member

No... I sold it and got a Jamman Solo. I couldn't bare the noise it brought to the chain, and couldn't get rid of it... Also there was no option to plug headphones to the output - I need that option.
    The Jammman Solo seems simpler to use. Easier to remember the steps for changing modes or a preference.
    With the RC-3 i needed the manual to remember which button I need to press for 2 seconds...
    Last thing the JamManager software makes it very easy to manage the loops in the pedal. For the RC-3 it was working with the a file manager software and following an annoying naming convention.

That can be easily changed. I don't remember in which page but see the owner manual. You need to hold one of the buttons for 2 secs... :)

6. MadMike62

MadMike62 Member

I'm thinking about getting either that or a DD7 (got a thread going about dat).

Read up about the RC-3 and concerning the noise issue, seems that this pedal usually doesn't like sharing the same power source as other pedals on most given boards, or being daisy-chained.

7. cholula69

cholula69 Supporting Member

Has anyone run the RC-3 next to the RC-2? I have been holding off getting a new loop station for awhile. I really like the small footprint of the Boss but a lot of people have commented that there are a lot of functions and buttons to remember due to the compact size.

8. HiBoost

HiBoost Member

I've got a voodoo pedalpower2, can I expect to use that without noise issues?

9. MadMike62

MadMike62 Member

If you haven't bought the Rc-3, I'd check around first. Maybe you can PM someone on this forum that's running it the same way you want to run it. From what I read, noise arise when chained with other pedals, no matter what power source

10. Flight1311

Flight1311 Member

Just a heads up - Best Buy is blowing out the RC-2 for $89.99.

11. Fuzz Of Doom

Fuzz Of Doom Member

I just put mine back on my board and love it for a riff remembering tool. It's much better than the RC-2 especially for ease of use and memory. I'm running it off the PP2+ and don't really notice any extra noise that isn't there already. I had the JamMan Solo for about a week and that pedal added a ton of noise to the chain.

12. No.9

No.9 Member

The RC-2 makes a faint high frequency noise, even when providing good/clean power, other than that it's fantastic. If the RC-3 is dead silent I would consider picking it up to replace my RC-2.

Anyone else notice that with the RC-2?

13. coolhand78

coolhand78 Supporting Member

I just got one, and so far so good, it's a bit of a tone sucker, but it is boss so you really go into it knowing that... I'm still very new to looping etc, but its pretty fun, great writing tool etc...

14. HiBoost

HiBoost Member

Just to throw out a curve ball here... all I'm really wanting to do is lay down a rhythm and then play lead over it while it loops... I just came across the Boss Micro BR which seems like it can do WAY more than the RC-3 and it's cheaper too. Any thoughts on using this or some similar digital recorder for this task compared to doing it with the pedals?