boss rc50 or ehx 2880?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by The Whiz, Oct 15, 2008.

1. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

I'm trying to decide between these two loopers. Probably use live either solo or with a drummer at some point. Want to be able to hook up electric guitar and effects pedals, microphone and maybe a drum machine (midi synced). And I want to be able to patch the output to guitar amp and pa/monitors and be able to route my electric guitar/pedals to my guitar amp and the microphone/drum machine to pa.

I'm pretty sure the RC50 can do all that but I question its sound quality and I keep reading about several issues like it being useless with tempo or pitch changes. I also read that the RC20XL has noise issues and wonder if the RC50 also has them. I also like that the RC50 seems to be able to transition from 1 phrase to another (ie verse to chorus) and back.

The 2880 looks cool and fun to use (as long as I have the foot controller too) but I question whether it has the routing options of the RC50 and it doesn't look like it would be easy to switch between phrases unless I devote a verse to one fader and a chorus to another fader and then somehow adjust faders on the fly. But I'm hopefully overlooking something. That said certain technical limitations might force me to work around it and find a creative way to make it work for me. I'm kind of preferring the layout of the 2880 and footpedal for being creative. I'm concerned about reliability of the ehx though.

Thoughts? Experiences? Insults?
    Stlusni? Secneirepxe? Sthguoht?

2. aziltz

aziltz Member

im pretty sure the EH can only store one song/loop in its memory. and you need flash cards for more, but the boss can store a whole bunch.... correct me if i'm wrong.

3. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

Not a big deal. I'm not looking for something to store loops, but more of a creative/improvisational tool to build loops live. I see on the EH there are stereo outs and panning for each of the 4 tracks so maybe I could use that to route between guitar amp and pa/monitor. I suppose another idea would be to put my amp BEFORE the looper and feed it with a line level cab simulation like a palmer or something. And then run the looper out to a stereo pa.

4. Spudman

Spudman Member

RC50 hands down will allow you to be uber creative. No noise issues I know of from the unit but I do know that it will loop noise from your input devices. No worries otherwise.

5. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

Something about the 2880...daddy likes.

6. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

7. Johnson

Johnson Member

are either of these loopers true bypass?