BOSS RE-20 (delay and reverb in one?)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by cityinmind, Mar 23, 2008.

1. cityinmind

cityinmind Senior Member

Is this a good all in one pedal for delay and reverb? I am just starting to use pedals and am going to be needing both delay and reverb, but was going to be getting a single pedal for each. Didn't know if the RE20 could do both well. *FYI - was concidering the DD20 delay and still debating what stand alone reverb to get. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated, thanks

2. Galapogos17

Galapogos17 Gold Supporting Member

I have an RE-20 and would not use it for Reverb alone. You can set the delay time short and use a bit of reverb to get some cool reverb like effects.

What type of delay sound are you going for?

Currently I also have a Dr Scientist Radical Red Reverberator. It's a pretty good reverb pedal. It's warm and natural sounding. It's a bit more pricey than EHX holy grail, but it was less noisy and I liked the way it sounded better.

3. tastylicks

tastylicks Supporting Member

Though roughly half of the modes on the RE-20 give you echo+reverb, I personally do not like the sound of the reverb. It's just sort of trashy sounding to my ears, which could of course be a sound you're looking for. I love the echo, though.
    I previously owned a Boss RV-3 pedal which had a much nicer reverb sounds, esp. the plate setting. Heck, even using a short delay to mimic a verb (with the very same RE-20) as mentioned above sounds better to me than the 'verb in the RE-20.
    Others will no doubt chime in about the Holy Grail reverb pedal and more if you're serious about a pedal reverb.

4. Isaiah4Autumn

Isaiah4Autumn Member

IMHO....

From what i've heard I would recommend the Nova Reverb by TC Electronics:AOK Now if you ask me if I have this pedal personally I would have to tell you; no I do not. The reason for that is that I have reverb built into my 71 twin so it is not needed but if I was going to buy a reverb pedal I would go with the nova for sure. True bypass, etc :)
    BTW....I love the RE-20 pretty close the original....but there is nothing like a tape delay...save your money and buy the Fulltone Tape Echo....

5. Andre357

Andre357 Member

F129o6-yp-[]=][plokij

6. wilerty

wilerty Member

I use a RV5 and a DD20, and they work well together. Had an RE-20 for a couple weeks, but it didn't have near as many features as the other two combined.

I'm looking forward to trying the new NOVA System processor though ...