Boss RE-20 Space Echo Club

ruger9

Silver Supporting Member
they won't waza something that hasn't existed before. I'd be happy with an RE-2 that costs $100 less than a waza version. And if they went compact, I don't see modulation controls being part of it - they'll have a hell of a time just fitting the standard controls - 7 knobs plus mode dial on the RE-20 - onto a compact chassis, never mind adding new ones. three concentric knobs and ditch the preamp? people will complain. keep the preamp, ditch the spring reverb? people will complain. drop the EQ? people will complain.

people are gonna complain whatever they do. Even doing nothing, as they are now, people complain.

But... the RE-20...did...does...exist....

As for the rest of your post, yup- that's consumerism.

aaronjcurtis

Here’s what I want to know about this pedal, your dry tone…. How much does it really mess with it? Perhaps it’s even better with it? That’s been the one thing that’s held me back from getting one, but maybe I’m being ridiculous and I should just buy one.

depotgear

I don't think the RE-20 has changed, I had one from 2010 and now have a new one from 2018. Because yours is from 2007, only a year after release they may have made some manufacturing changes to streamline it as it was new back then?

Also the RE-20 does have a slight modulation, basically you can set the same delay time on both tape head modes 2 and 3, but there will be more modulation on tape 3 because the tape head is "further away" causing more tape damage/movement. It's subtle but it's there.
I agree, in fact I didn't want to mean that there are two versions. I like the RE-20 at the limit of oscillation for its atmosphere as well. I played it just before shipping it and I noticed something different, so I compared the other one. I asked here why I saw there are expert users. so a few days ago I quickly made a video with the phone as a reminder just for me before packing it. unfortunately it's very bad quality and maybe you can only understand the different frequency cut on the repeats decay. As I said before, in low intensity settings there is not much difference, even if I heard it as well :)

John Mark Painter

Gold Supporting Member
Here’s what I want to know about this pedal, your dry tone…. How much does it really mess with it? Perhaps it’s even better with it? That’s been the one thing that’s held me back from getting one, but maybe I’m being ridiculous and I should just buy one.
Following…

I tried one when they were new and instantly hated what it did to my tone and unplugged it and gave it back to my friend I was boring it from.

depotgear

Not to worry mate. I was only wondering if I was missing a trick.
And I keep eyeing these every once in a while but never have the nerve to pull the trigger because they are fairly pricey and I think that a DSP based delay from that long ago could be somewhat, well, past their sell by date, you know.

Like ruger9 says, high time for Boss to release a Waza version. Wíth wow and flutter modulation I would be absolutely all over that.
I agree with you, it's a dated model and I hope a new updated Space Echo comes out. However for my little experience I still prefer it among the various tape echo I've tried in this price range. But I haven't tried the space echo mode on the RV-500 or DD-200 yet

ruger9

Silver Supporting Member

Well. It DOES digitize the dry tone. I sold the 1st one because of it.
BUT even tho it does digitize the dry signal, it barely messes with it... I sold #2 anyway, in "the great tape delay quest".
Then I grew up, and realized I was making a mountain out of a molehill (less than a molehill actually, more like an ant hill). Then I sold #3, don't remember why. I think I wanted actual modulation.
In the end, I have #4 now, and I love it just as much as before, and have no intention of selling it.
OH- and it's got a noise gate when on. A GOOD one. It's QUIETER ON than off.

ruger9

Silver Supporting Member
I agree, in fact I didn't want to mean that there are two versions. I like the RE-20 at the limit of oscillation for its atmosphere as well. I played it just before shipping it and I noticed something different, so I compared the other one. I asked here why I saw there are expert users. so a few days ago I quickly made a video with the phone as a reminder just for me before packing it. unfortunately it's very bad quality and maybe you can only understand the different frequency cut on the repeats decay. As I said before, in low intensity settings there is not much difference, even if I heard it as well :)

Thanks for the video. It does demonstrate what you describe. Fortunately, the next time I will need to use a delay like that is... never. In all PRACTICAL uses, meaning in the way 99.99% of users will actually use them, the two are identical.

BTW- this isn't a criticism or any kind of hit on your opinion. You ARE right. They DO sound different, at those settings. A little. But the vast majority of people will never hear it/use them like that. I have to think what's going on in your video is like someone described above, "competent tolerances."

depotgear

Thanks for the video. It does demonstrate what you describe. Fortunately, the next time I will need to use a delay like that is... never. In all PRACTICAL uses, meaning in the way 99.99% of users will actually use them, the two are identical.

BTW- this isn't a criticism or any kind of hit on your opinion. You ARE right. They DO sound different, at those settings. A little. But the vast majority of people will never hear it/use them like that. I have to think what's going on in your video is like someone described above, "competent tolerances."
Yes, you are right. I posted this video because I made a bad explanation and I didn't mean that there are two RE-20 versions. Unfortunately was recorded by phone, at low volume on a small amp. I know that no one will ever notice this, but to me it is quite evident even at lower intensity settings. The frequency response is different already in the early repeats, even the tape warble simulation seems different to me. I use tape echo a lot for background atmospheres, for rhythmic I use DMM

chromewaves

But... the RE-20...did...does...exist....

As for the rest of your post, yup- that's consumerism.

but there’s no precedent for waza-ing a non-compact pedal. RE-2 would be new. RE-20w would more likely be a RE-200. Which is a lot of horsepower for a single effect.

depotgear

I was thinking about how to play with it .. I guess I'm not really the only one using a Space Echo for oscillating sounds. There are many records with oscillating tape echo on guitars, keys or vocals. In fact I think that maybe it is used more on this way, but not only to create noise .. Also in a musical way like a background atmosphere as a reverb.

Ry@n

but there’s no precedent for waza-ing a non-compact pedal. RE-2 would be new. RE-20w would more likely be a RE-200. Which is a lot of horsepower for a single effect.
Reasons I don’t really expect this to ever happen:

1) As you mention, it’s a lot for a single effect, especially when there’s already a version of that effect in the DD-200 (and I think they’d rather just sell you a DD-200).
2) Assuming they’d adapt the look to coordinate with the 200 series, I don’t see how you keep the Space Echo aesthetic, which is part of the appeal of the RE-20.

Slideman

So how does everyone think the RE-20 tape echo is “aging”? Still competitive, still has ”that” sound, others come close in pedal format, but not quite? I still really enjoy and am inspired by the pedal when I bought over 10 years ago….and never let it go..unlike other pedals. However, other than my big box DMM, I’ve also been enjoying the BED to cop most of my tape delay tones (including the DMM options), but the RE-20 still has it’s own thing going for it IMO.

Tubes99

So how does everyone think the RE-20 tape echo is “aging”? Still competitive, still has ”that” sound, others come close in pedal format, but not quite? I still really enjoy and am inspired by the pedal when I bought over 10 years ago….and never let it go..unlike other pedals. However, other than my big box DMM, I’ve also been enjoying the BED to cop most of my tape delay tones (including the DMM options), but the RE-20 still has it’s own thing going for it IMO.

Think the RE-20 is still definitely it's own thing, still definitely has it's place in today's market. I still think Boss should update it, add modulation/tape age controls and the ability to turn the preamp on or off and it'd would be golden. It's still the only pedal that actually emulates the Space Echo sound. The Volante is an incredible piece of gear, and can do most of the bells and whistles EXCEPT for the preamp and general EQing that the Space Echo has. It's so close but my board doesn't sound the same without my RE-20.

chromewaves

I just went through a mental process of getting a DD-200 to replace my current tandem of RE-20 and DD-8, but after playing with them last night, I might just take the DD-8 off the board to get a little more pedalboard real estate. As much as I like the idea of a million options, I've never stuck with superdelays and really don't need anything beyond what the RE-20 gives me. a little more modulation control would be nice, but it's not ruining my life. And I just love the look of the thing on my board, no matter how much space it takes.

And to be clear, I wouldn't have gotten rid of the RE-20, but it would have ridden the pines alongside my big box DMM for a while.

aaronjcurtis

I've been using the MTHRFCKR=RPTR with good results. I like that I can take the preamp out if I want, and the modulation Sine or Square wave options as well as LFO Depth and Speed are nice. I would like to try the Roland RE-20 one day though.

ruger9

Silver Supporting Member
Think the RE-20 is still definitely it's own thing, still definitely has it's place in today's market. I still think Boss should update it, add modulation/tape age controls and the ability to turn the preamp on or off and it'd would be golden. .

:agree

That would be perfection. And it would bring the RE-20 up to a "never sell" for me, possibly "only delay I'd ever need" (well, ok... maybe one of TWO: because I'll always have one real analog).

Kev O)))

Went down a deep,dark rabbithole looking for "that" delay/echo tone after selling off my first, second, and probably third RE-20. These included the Boonar, El Cap, Skreddy Echo, and IDK how many others and in the end, I picked up another, recent build RE-20 and it sounds even better than I remember.

It might be a BOSS, it might be over a decade old design -wise, but its the perfect Tape Echo for me and its a keeper. And, that Master Volume (love it or hate) works amazingly well with both the amp & other pedals.

aman74

Silver Supporting Member
Think the RE-20 is still definitely it's own thing, still definitely has it's place in today's market. I still think Boss should update it, add modulation/tape age controls and the ability to turn the preamp on or off and it'd would be golden. It's still the only pedal that actually emulates the Space Echo sound. The Volante is an incredible piece of gear, and can do most of the bells and whistles EXCEPT for the preamp and general EQing that the Space Echo has. It's so close but my board doesn't sound the same without my RE-20.

Well, the Boss DD500, RV500 and I guess people in this thread say the DD200 also has one in it as well, but I’m not as familiar with it. They also do much more as well of course and I believe at least one of them offers more control on the modulation.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom