BOSS RT-20 hidden fuctions!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Thunder Dash, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Thunder Dash

Thunder Dash Member

So...I've been playing around with my BOSS RT 20 and have found quite a few "hidden" effects. All it takes is just fooling around with the settings.

1. Dubstep "wub" effect: To achieve this effect, you'll have to set your pedal on the fourth preset "The univibe. Have the effect level and intensity all the way up for this to work. Set your slow speed at around 11 'o clock for a slow eighth note wub. Set it to around 1 o clock for a triplet wub at roughly 100bpm. For the fast setting, set it to between 1 and 2 o clock for a fast eighth note wub, roughly around 140bpm. Be sure you have the rise time knob all the way up so that the alternation between the slow and fast speed is instant.

2. Closed envolope filter: You will need the initiate the "brake" for this one and also use the univibe setting (The enhanced rotary with the stack amp [3rd setting] can also work as well.). With the brake on, notes you play will sound filtered. You may turn up the overdrive to give this sound a more grindy texture.

3. Almost-natural clean boost: Be sure you running clean through this setting. This setting also requires the brake. It's best if you have it on the first setting, which is the standard rotary speaker. Make sure your overdrive is down. You may turn up ever so slightly to give the sound a very subtle crunch.

4. The obvious Overdrive: With the brake on, preferably the setting on the enhanced with the stack amp on, you can use the pedal as an overdrive pedal in case you don't have a separate one on your setup.

5. Warble Chorus Slow/Fast: It is preferred that you only limit yourself to using the first two settings for this one: The standard and enhanced rotary speaker. Have your signal running absolutely clean with the overdrive knob all the way off on the pedal. Have your slow setting probably around 9 o clock or 10 o clock. You can back down the rise time so that the rate from the slow chorus to the fast rotary chorus is nice and gradual.

Well...that's all the hidden functions for now. Try them and see how you like them!

xcc likes this.
  2. Roughyed

Roughyed Member

I use my rotosphere as an overdrive sometimes. Work's surprisingly well.

3. $tratcat

$tratcat Member

Love my RT-20. I use an expression pedal to control the speed. Great feature that it won't go any slower or faster than you have on the speed dials.

4. Thunder Dash

Thunder Dash Member

I actually hooked up my piano sustainer pedal into the expression pedal jack and it worked surprisingly well.