Boss RV-5 and Strymon BigSky questions

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by GuitarLover16, Dec 7, 2016.

1. GuitarLover16

GuitarLover16 Member

Hello! I have two questions regarding these two pedals

Modulation:
    I am wondering how one would dial in the RV-5 modulation sound on the BigSky.

I plan on getting one in the future, and the BigSky is obviously more versatile than the RV-5, and has longer decay times.

This is apparently a person who achieved that modulation on his BigSky
    https://m.soundcloud.com/ryguymcgee/big-sky-vs-rv-5-first-take

The main reason I ask this question is because I'm trying to achieve a certain reverb tone as I've posted in other threads:
    http://www.tdpri.com/threads/modulated-reverb-tone-rv-5-vs-strymon-bigsky.690042/

I don't have a BigSky, but I just want an idea of how one could dial in that modulation tone on a BigSky since it's apparently already possible.

Which Pedal?:
    Also, on another note, I'm conflicted between the RV-5 and the BigSky. Money is not a problem.

RV-5: Beautiful detune type modulation, ok reverb modes, short decay times apparently. $150 new

BigSky: Detune type modulation, presets, versatility, but apparently doesn't have a volume knob (so I'm afraid I'd have less control over the reverb sounds) $478 new

Thanks in advance!

2. Tri Pedal Reviews

Tri Pedal Reviews Member

Just hearing the first part of the song it sounds more big sky'ish to me.

Watching the videos it looks like he is using an expression pedal. Might be a volume pedal, but I doubt it considering you can hear the initial note ring out, which would point to big sky. RV-5 has no expression pedal input to my knowledge.

RV-5 doesn't have a volume knob. I think the only reverb I ever had that had a output volume knob was the Empress reverb.

Don't have time to delve into it further, but those are my thoughts looking at it for a short time.

GuitarLover16 likes this.
  3. GuitarLover16

GuitarLover16 Member

Oh whoops! This whole time I was confusing the effects level knob on my RV-6 with a volume knob lol.

Oh ok so never mind about that volume thing with the BigSky.

Ok I'm leaning towards the BigSky since it has longer decay times and apparently can get that RV-5 modulation.

ThinPaperWings likes this.
  4. ThinPaperWings

ThinPaperWings Member

I read the TDPRI thread -- it wasn't a BigSky on the recording as that wasn't out yet. Given that it was the studio it could have been a wide variety of things, even a rack (or two). For live BigSky seems a possibility due to the expression pedal use.

As a former owner of the RV-5 (sold it 10+ years ago) and BigSky owner, I would try the BigSky if I had the money. There are one or two threads on here about whether the BigSky can do the RV-5 modulate and I think the answer is pretty much yes. There are many advantages IF you like ethereal reverbs, the main one being modulation is adjustable on all algorithms (while it is not on the RV-5) AND the modulation is different from algorithm to algorithm. The Swell modulation is different than the Hall modulation for example. None of the modulation are really 'detuning' per se, it's modulating the delay times (of some or many of the delay taps, which is what digital reverb is, multi-tap delay) in some fashion. You can actually use the Shimmer voices to do +10/-10 cents in the reverb, that is detuning.

You also have, on many reverbs, additional tone controls (hall has low end and mid, many others have low end) and pre-delay control on every algorithm. You can do a lot more than just imitate the RV-5.

Regarding the 'volume' knob, what you have is a blend control that can go do 100% wet as well as a 3db boost/cut saveable for preset. So you can adjust volume to a degree with that although there's not a ton of gain. Using the two together gives you plenty of flexibility.

For RV-5 imitation, I would try Plate first but Cloud might be able to work as well.

5. GuitarLover16

GuitarLover16 Member

Thanks for the answers guys! I'm probably going to get the BigSky. Amazing pedal.

Also, final note, tried searching but I couldn't get a clear idea. Does the BigSky have reverse reverb? Meaning, if I play something, will the wet signal be that same thing but backwards? Is it the same thing as the reverse setting on a Boss DD-5 or DD-7 pedal? Thanks!

6. ThinPaperWings

ThinPaperWings Member

Yes, it has reverse reverb. It's part of non-linear mode, which has 3 sub-modes. As a reverb the 'echo' you hear back is going to be a lot more diffused than the discrete repeat of a delay. It will be more washed out than a DD-5 or DD-7 (or any other delay) reverse setting.

7. GuitarLover16

GuitarLover16 Member

Oh alright. Thanks! Sounds like a neat setting. Am excited about the reverb possibilities!

8. -Empire

-Empire Supporting Member

Start with the hall mode if you're trying to emulate the RV-5 modulate mode.

GuitarLover16 and LordByron like this.
  9. GuitarLover16

GuitarLover16 Member

Ok thank you very much. I'll keep that in mind! Ambient lush reverb with sweet modulation, here I come!