BOSS RV-500

Ice Monster

Does anyone still have one? Just curious about buying one to use with my DD-500, or wherever the delay section in the RV-500 if sufficient?

Does anyone still have one? Just curious about buying one to use with my DD-500, or wherever the delay section in the RV-500 if sufficient?

The modulation on the delays in most of the RV-500 algorithms (Space Echo would be the exception) is not like the delay time/sample rate modulation that is in most if not all of the DD-500 algos. It's more like the delay line goes through a chorus or flange prior to feedback. It doesn't sound as wide to me and it's part of the reason I sold my RV-500. The delays themselves are fine; I just personally prefer the DD-500 modulation.

Kriig

The modulation on the delays in most of the RV-500 algorithms (Space Echo would be the exception) is not like the delay time/sample rate modulation that is in most if not all of the DD-500 algos. It's more like the delay line goes through a chorus or flange prior to feedback. It doesn't sound as wide to me and it's part of the reason I sold my RV-500. The delays themselves are fine; I just personally prefer the DD-500 modulation.
Thats why we need both :rolleyes:

Anyone know how the Space Echo on the RV500 compares to the DD500?

DD-500 Space Echo does not have any reverb available, that's the main difference that I heard. Both have multi-head options (that being the only RV-500 option to have multi-tap delays available within a single algorithm).

cosmic_noodles

Silver Supporting Member
Has anyone used the RV-500 to emulate the DIG? You get access to two digital delays that you can set up in series or parallel, plus control of the modulation. I'm just wondering if anyone has been successful getting DIG-like sounds by setting the the two delays to different subdivisions of the same tempo.

Steve94

No I'm saying the entire unit powers off if you try and edit anything. But only when I'm using the PP2. When I power it off a wall wart it works fine. Maybe my VooDoo is worn out.
Did you ever figure this out? I recently bought one and it just randomly kept turning itself off and on again...

skern

I'm hoping one of you who owns an RV-500 can help me out.

I understand that I can use ASSIGN 1-8 to control up to eight TARGET parameters simultaneously per patch. I was under the impression that if I set SRC to EXP PDL, then I could sweep these parameters manually with an external expression pedal. However, fooling around in the editor I noticed that for each ASSIGN I have to choose a MODE: momentary vs. toggle. I don't want either momentary or toggle. This makes it seem like the expression pedal just triggers an automatic sweep, like a footswitch would. Is this the case? Or is MODE irrelevant unless using an actual footswitch?

The same question applies if I'm using an external MIDI sweepable controller and setting SRC to a CC#.

effectsman

@skern I think you need to set it to momentary. This allows it to be any value within a range which you can adjust via the expression pedal. Setting it to toggle is when you just want the effect to go from one state to another eg on or off but no values in between.

skern

@skern I think you need to set it to momentary. This allows it to be any value within a range which you can adjust via the expression pedal. Setting it to toggle is when you just want the effect to go from one state to another eg on or off but no values in between.
Yeah, it's just confusing because in the manual, Momentary is described as "The value will normally be OFF (minimum value), and will be ON (maximum value) only while the control is being operated." This is not what I want at all. But I guess that's just a description for when you're using a switch as the source?

effectsman

Yeah, it's just confusing because in the manual, Momentary is described as "The value will normally be OFF (minimum value), and will be ON (maximum value) only while the control is being operated." This is not what I want at all. But I guess that's just a description for when you're using a switch as the source?

Yes the manual is confusing. I have an MS-3, but I watched a video of how to hook up the expression pedal and assign it to different parameters, and that setting of momentary vs toggle was one the reviewer talked about. Maybe search online as BOSS has put out video how to's to help people. The manuals can be a bit sparse on detail I find.

skern

@DisasterArea is there a way to transmit MIDI CC from the MIDI Baby to the RV-500 using the USB ports on both? I tried many settings. When the Baby is set to USB Host mode the RV-500 recognizes when it's hooked up ("USB Connected") but does not respond to any incoming CC. I tried changing USB mode on the Baby and RV-500, tried using MIDI thru, changing all kinds of MIDI routing options on the RV-500, with no luck anywhere.

I understand that the USB port for the RV-500 is primarily for hooking up to a computer (which works) and that using the 5-pin connectors on the RV-500 and MIDI Baby works perfectly too, but I want to use the USB so I can use the MIDI out from the Baby with another pedal.

EDIT: If the answer to the above is "no," is it possible to use some sort of MIDI splitter cable to connect the MIDI out on the Baby to MIDI inputs on two separate effect pedals, thus transmitting the same CC messages to both pedals? Though, after a bit of research, it seems like this is not inherently possible, and I'd need to buy a MIDI Thru Box, which I'd like to avoid.

Last edited:

DisasterArea

Owner, Disaster Area Designs and Alexander Pedals
@DisasterArea is there a way to transmit MIDI CC from the MIDI Baby to the RV-500 using the USB ports on both? I tried many settings. When the Baby is set to USB Host mode the RV-500 recognizes when it's hooked up ("USB Connected") but does not respond to any incoming CC. I tried changing USB mode on the Baby and RV-500, tried using MIDI thru, changing all kinds of MIDI routing options on the RV-500, with no luck anywhere.

I understand that the USB port for the RV-500 is primarily for hooking up to a computer (which works) and that using the 5-pin connectors on the RV-500 and MIDI Baby works perfectly too, but I want to use the USB so I can use the MIDI out from the Baby with another pedal.

EDIT: If the answer to the above is "no," is it possible to use some sort of MIDI splitter cable to connect the MIDI out on the Baby to MIDI inputs on two separate effect pedals, thus transmitting the same CC messages to both pedals? Though, after a bit of research, it seems like this is not inherently possible, and I'd need to buy a MIDI Thru Box, which I'd like to avoid.

Why not just run from the MIDI output of the first pedal to the MIDI input of the second? The Boss pedals will pass incoming MIDI along the chain and are reliable at doing so.

USB won't work because the Boss stuff needs a driver, it's not class-compliant.

skern

Why not just run from the MIDI output of the first pedal to the MIDI input of the second? The Boss pedals will pass incoming MIDI along the chain and are reliable at doing so.
Interesting. This is what I tried originally, but it didn't work. However I went back and messed around with it and finally got it working. It turns out the Tx Channel on the Boss is irrelevant. I had originally set it to match the channel of the other pedal. But what ended up working is having the Baby transmit on both channels. Even with Tx Channel turned Off on the Boss, it still works. Thanks for helping!

hello
does the carry over (trails ) work on the delays also or only the reverbs?

and can you change dd-200 patches through midi by changing patches on the rv-500?

JESMTL

I guess I’m confused. Isn’t reverb or delay modulation just modulation of the delay time?

Top Bottom