BOSS RV6 or Supernatural for a ~$115ish ambient addition? Or polara?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by wundergussy, May 2, 2016.

1. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

I'd like to add a reverb/ambient option to my pedalboard, but not sure if it's going to stick around, or how much I'd use it. As such, I don't want to spend much over $115-120, and it'd be nice if it retained that value. I've had an RV5 and an HOF before; the modulate on the 5 was great, but didn't use too much else. The HOF didn't inspire me much. I had a Wet that was awesome, but a one-trick pony and expensive for one trick. I'd like some options, a nice buffer, and at least the options of Shimmer, Modulate, and some sort of hall/big space thing. I will never use the spring, so I don't care if it's good or sucks.

Thoughts on a choice between these two?

TGP Note: Please don't suggest "saving my pennies" for your favorite whatever. This is not going to be somethibg I use a lot, so I don't care if the Big Sky cured your warts or if your Immerse mowed your lawn. Feel free to suggest other things in this price point that have the three modes I listed.

InAbsentia likes this.
  2. Katzenkönig

Katzenkönig Member

The Supernatural, and for that price, nice.

p.mo and Tom Von Kramm like this.
  3. Sentenced

Sentenced Member

I bought the USA made Supernatural for ~$175. For the new price this is a no-brainer. BUT, I've never tried an RV-6...

Tom Von Kramm likes this.
  4. Snare227

Snare227 Member

I use an RV7 on my board for typical spring/hall settings and I use a Supernatural for bigger washes. I don't think you'll be disappointed in the Supernatural for the price for ambient sounds.

5. starkd12

starkd12 Member

Supernatural is great. Currently only using it as a spring reverb BUT the ambient sounds are killer

6. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Supporting Member

I had a Supernatural for a while. Great pedal, but the detune on some of the modes, esp the Shimmer, is either something you love or hate.

I just got an RV-6 and quite enjoy it.

Basically, the Supernatural has a few ticks of "bizarro" built into it, and the Boss is more straight down the middle.

I am not an ambient player, but I've played in bands that have had that type of influence in their guitar sound, and I'm certain you could make either of these work for you.

7. blackba

blackba Member

I had a similar budget and went with the boss rv6. I have a digitech rv7, which is a great pedal, but not the best for ambient. The reviews and clips of the supernatural just didn't grab me, in some clips I could hear digital artifacts, which I just don't hear in the rv7.

I watched a video of the boss rv6 going head to head with the strymon bluesky and felt the rv6 more than held its own.

On the rv6, I mainly use the hall, plate, and mod. Still working the shimmer sound into my set.

Some others to consider are the digitech polara, which is basically an rv7 with halo (shimmer) and a love pedal hsr3 (Out of your budget, unless you can find used).

AshMaui likes this.
  8. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

Is the Polara a step above the Supernatural? Or is it the Supernatural plus hall?

9. Tom Von Kramm

Tom Von Kramm Vendor

Polara is the next-gen RV-7.

The Supernatural is still its own thing.

InAbsentia likes this.
  10. blackba

blackba Member

In the old digitech Model line up the Hardwire RV7 was the standard reverb pedal and the Supernatural was for the more ambient reverbs
    The Polara is basically the RV7 with the Halo (Shimmer) added, smaller size, and new graphics. I can speak on the RV7 (not tried the polara), that it will do ambient, but I found that with the level all the way up on the Hall setting was like the Boss RV6 with the level at 12oclock on the hall setting. That is why I mentioned that ambient was not the RV7's strong suit.

If Ambient if your main goal with this purchase than the supernatural or Boss RV6 is the right tool for the job.

Here are the reverb list for the Supernatural:
    http://digitech.com/en-US/products/supernatural
    Lexicon Reverb Types
    • Plate - The classic studio reverb heard on countless hit records.
    • Plate mod - Plate reverb sweetened with chorus.
    • Shimmer - Ethereal reverb with cascading octave shifts.
    • Supernova - Deep space reverb with twisting flange and pitch-shifting.
    • Shine - Shimmer reverb with a thick lush chorus added.
    • Pherb - Rich Lexicon Hall reverb with a hint of phasing.
    • Spring - The unmistakable classic ‘surf ’ reverb.
    Here is my comparison of the Digitech RV7 and Boss RV6.
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/in...erb-with-comparison-to-digitech-rv-7.1692831/

11. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

Thanks! Looks like I can get a new Supernatural for under $110

12. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

RV6 is what I have. Boss is a tank and holds value for a lifetime.

MIM#1 likes this.
  13. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Supporting Member

If you are gonna use a lot of shimmer..check those vides on the Supernatural first. There is a dissonance on that algo that is either something you will love or absolutely hate.

14. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

Thanks guys. $107 new Supernatural coming my way!

15. jnam

jnam Member

Go supernatural and don't look back. Those lexicon algo's are deeeelish.

16. minty901

minty901 Member

what always bothers me about the digitech reverb pedals is that the plate and hall modes (maybe others) always have really obvious, oscillating modulation in them. doesnt sound realistic imo. im not even talking about the "modulated plate" mode on the supernatural.

17. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

I don't need a reverb to be natural, actually. I only see digital reverb being useful for an obvious "effect." My amp has spring and I use an analog delay set very subtle for echo which I haves found more useful than reverb for an always-on ambiance. I want a reverb machine for spacial, in-between tracks weirdness. And actually, this will go toe-to-toe with a Subdecay Echobox, as I only need one thing to fill this niche.

18. rummy

rummy Member

Digitech has been doing reverb right. RV-7, Supernatural, or the Polara. You can't go wrong.

19. gatordoc

gatordoc Member

The SN is a good choice and that's a great price for one. Although it is an ambient reverb pedal, it also does a really good plate and spring reverb if you keep the Mix dialed back a bit. I really like my WET for just adding some subtle reverb but the SN is more versatile and ambient.

20. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

Yeah, I am looking purely for something to hit for ambience in between songs, or to provide a big counterpoint to a harder part. Don't need it for subtle stuff during riffing.