Boss SD-1 and or Boss OD-3 owners

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Encounter, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Encounter

Encounter Member

I'm interested in potentially purchasing one of these 2 pedals, with or without being modded. I'm having trouble distinguishing the difference between these 2 (original and or modded) because every video that I have found are a bunch of morons playing the same stupid licks. All I want is someone to play simple (triad) chords. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to make a demo video for me. If someone can't make a video, perhaps you could give me advice or input on them. Thanks!

*Keep in mind that I am NOT a "heavy rocker." P&W player here!*

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  2. jazzfromhell

jazzfromhell Member

I prefer the OD3 going into a clean amp, whereas the SD1 shines as a boost into a crunchy/distorted amp IMO.
    It's a really great low/medium od, a bit flatter than the SD1, which has more gain and a bit of a midhump.
    For chording I'd say OD3.
    It also stacks brilliantly into a Boss Blues Driver.

3. vanguard

vanguard Member

OD-3 is a slightly scooped, bass-heavy overdrive. the gain is very smooth and has a huge sweep.

the SD-1 has a very prominent mid-hump and cuts some bass. the distortion is gritty and amp like.

if your amp is scooped or flat EQ'd get the DS-1.

if your amp is middy (marshall, vox, tweed, etc.) get the OD-3.

4. Encounter

Encounter Member

That's really helpful. I play pretty basic stuff (P&W) and it would be used for my primary (light) overdrive, with my clean AC15 and a tele. Do you have any experience with the Keeley modded ones? (SD-1 or OD-3)

5. Encounter

Encounter Member

Describe "scooped" ;)

6. jkokura

jkokura Member

I much, much prefer the OD-3 and I've owned both. An OD-3 and BD-2 and you're probably a very happy guy.

All three are great for modding platforms as well, and changing a few components can take these inexpensive pedals and really expand their tonal qualities.

Jacob

7. Encounter

Encounter Member

Anyone have experience with a Japan version of either? I mean is there really a huge difference between the vintage Japanese ones?

8. Championguitar

Championguitar Member

Od-3 wasnt ever made in japan
    I own an sd-1 and from playing it as well as using an od-3 alot in shops i prefer the od-3 for its bassier tone but thats just whati like, the sd-1 it thinner and not adwarm

9. Encounter

Encounter Member

Ya my bad. Just read that there isn't a Japan OD-3. I really had my heart set on a Keeley modded one, but don't see anywhere on his site that he mods the OD-3. Yet I've heard that a few guys have theirs modded from someone else. Are you familiar with what the mod does exactly?

(Keep in mind that I'm assuming a keeley mod or any mod on one will make a difference for the good. I'm primarily assuming that because I had a Rat, then modded by Keeley, and it was a night a day difference)

10. Grizz_Lee

Grizz_Lee Member

I have a od-3 that I bought from a guy here with a monte allums mod done to it. He didn't remember which mod it was but I absolutley love it. By far the best boss od i've ever played, i'll try and get a short video up later!

11. Encounter

Encounter Member

Thanks! Do you have any experience with a non modded one? If so, how did they compare? ;)

12. drwiddly

drwiddly Member

I own an OD3 and a couple of SD-1's (all modded now) but, prior to modding, I found the OD3 to be a bit bass heavy and mushy sounding. The modded version is much tighter but still with plenty of thickness. Good for chord work, especially into a clean amp.

The SD-1 is more of a Tubescreamer type pedal and works well into overdriven amps. The modded versions tend to be smoother sounding without the shrill edge that the stock version has.

I'm in the UK and my pedals were modded by pedal mods UK. Not much use to you but you might find their site informative: http://www.pedalmods.com/index.htm

13. vanguard

vanguard Member

see the right eye on your emoticon? imagine that were an EQ curve.

14. JRBain

JRBain Member

The SD-1 is (in my opinion ;)) what the tubescreamer should have been. And it is, so the electronically enlightened tell me, essentially a TS with asymmetrical clipping. (right?)

In practice, it's very middy, pretty compressed, excels at a darker top end (tone control isn't the most effective), and cuts some bass. It isn't an amp in a box, and was made to drive the front end of a JCM800, or whatever. Or at least, that is probably the most popular application.

It is my overdrive of choice, personally. I used it for 5 years stock, before having it modded last year. I had it modded on the condition that it would preserve the basic essence of the tone...

They (Pedalmods UK) did a grand job indeed, and they basically made the 'goods' better, whilst working on the shortcomings. Those being that the tone control, as said, isn't very usable on the stock pedal (unless you like really shrill, bassless overdrive sounds, I suppose), it cuts bass, and it's quite noisy.

Get rid of these, and you have something that's positively wonderful. I love mine; there is no other overdrive on my board right now. :aok

15. Encounter

Encounter Member

Very helpful! The mod you had done (for the OD-3) sounds to be a bit like the Keeley DIY mod, described by one of his employees in the following:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Simplify, Simplify, Simplify!

Well maybe one ?simplify? would have done as a famous thinker had once responded. This article will give you a couple tips that you can apply to the BOSS OD-3 and then extrapolate to other effects pedals or even amps. Some mods are very simple, you just remove parts. Most players know that you can remove V1 from some amps and get a little more volume or gain from the amp. Some mods have been talked about for the Big Muff in which you just take our parts.

Here are more 3 mods that simplify, simplify, simplify by taking out our ?shorting? out parts.

The first mod is to remove D6 and D7. You can put them on a switch to toggle this on and off but I think a quick listen will convince you that those can go. These two diodes give a very slight increase in distortion but when removed give you a much livelier and open sound. The reduced gain you'll have is so slight that I think it would only offend those that run this pedal gained to maximum.

Have fun simplifying yourself and your circuits!
    Robert Keeley Electronics, Inc. Email: fx@rkfx.com Web: www.robertkeeley.com

[/FONT]Is this what you experienced with your mod?
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]

[/FONT]

16. McStrats

McStrats Member

Prince plays a Boss OD2 Joe Walsh plays a OD3.

17. Encounter

Encounter Member

Lol! Both great guitarist! And I'm pretty sure that Prince only uses Boss pedals ;)

18. john l

john l Member

Im a dirt pedal fanatic and the SD1 is my favorite OD ever. This is a pedal you would want to use in conjucntion with a an amp breathing a bit already. If you want something to run into a clean amp and use more like a distortion then you may want to go with the OD3 for its more polished sound.

As far as the SD1 goes I have a bunch of japanese and Taiwanese versions and most of them sound the same, however I do have a couple older ones that sound a little better to me but its probably due to components drifting more than anything as I dont think anything circuit changes were ever made.

You can find used SD1s all day long around here for 10-20 bucks you should should give one a shot a see what you think.

19. phazersonstun

phazersonstun Member

I heart the OD-3.
    Into a clean amp it sounds great. I don't find it scooped at all just not mid humped.
    & it doesn't chop your lows off.
    The best stand alone OD Boss has ever released IMHO.

The SD-1 is useful to me as a boost into an over driven amp or boosting other pedals, but not so much as an OD on it's own.

20. sleejay80

sleejay80 Member

SD-1: basically a Tubescreamer, yeah it's technically different blah blah blah mostly the same.

OD-3: closest thing I can think of, in terms of tone/range/role, within my experience, is Fulltone OCD. (Lots of common descriptions fit the two: clean-to-hard OD, flat EQ, scooped for some, bass heavy for some, fairly dynamic, fairly transparent, does both rhythm&lead, etc, etc, etc )