• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Boss SD-1: New or Elder?

Guit

Hi, I just got an '82 JCM 800 4104 combo and am considering stacking it with a Boss SD-1 since everyone says it is the shiz.

Question: Should I get a used vintage model or the new kind?

Please be specific in terms of model numbers. I've seen there is a SD-1W available as well.

Thanks!

metrokosmiko

There's two things you ought to know: 1) that the SD-1 is a Tubescreamer pedal, and 2) the circuit is very utilitarian in what it does to your amp. Namely, it cuts bass and highs, adds mids and compression and a tiny bit of gain. Any pedal that does this (any tubescreamer) will get you "there" if the main tone is coming from your amp.

Having said that, there are two ways to go about this.
  • Acknowledge the utility nature of the circuit and try a stock, new SD-1 off the shelf at your local store.
  • If you still want to get something "nice", I would urge you to look at the Fulldrive 3 by Fulltone, which is based on the SD-1/Screamer but offers more tonal possibilities (a 3 way mode, out of which one is especially meant to boost amps), along with an independent clean boost you can use to crunch your amp or for gain staging purposes. A brand new FD-3 packs packs more value, costs less, and is equally as rugged as the SD-1w.

OotMagroot

First, it's been a skooch since I last played through an SD-1. That said, I've had an hour or so with this new one and it sounds just like I remember it. So, if it HAS changed - it couldn't be by much.

This unit has the newer bottom sticker that's silver and has minimal info on it. AND, for those that must know, it still has the larger circuit board - not the tiny one with the newer SMT stuff (so, it should be mod-able).

Fulldrive-1

A SD-1 and a 4104 were made for each other, more or less. Awesomeness with NO hoity-toity booteeky aura necessary. Really, this combination kills.

Buddy of mine had a Reeves booteeky-Marshall and a silver Klon. Amp sounded tubby and fizzy, Klon didn't do much for the tone. I went over his house with the old Marshall and SD-1. Night and day.
New production should sound as good as the oldie stuff. I have a Fulldrive on the Board for Marshall-goosing but I have an old SD-1 floating around the house for occasional use.

mici

Hi, I just got an '82 JCM 800 4104 combo and am considering stacking it with a Boss SD-1 since everyone says it is the shiz.

Question: Should I get a used vintage model or the new kind?

Please be specific in terms of model numbers. I've seen there is a SD-1W available as well.

Thanks!
Do not bother with vintage SD-1 unless you find it for 10$ or so. I had 1982 SD-1 and the new one from 2016, both had JRC4558DD and sounded the same.

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
A stock SD-1 is adequate. I hear really nothing about the Waza version, which I find curious.
There is the Keeley 5-Star GE mod which adds some really great tones while maintaining the original function of the pedal. I have seen those floating around as low as $80. But for $29, any used SD-1 is a safe bet IME.

OotMagroot

are the new SD1's redesigned with micro surface mounted parts, like the new DS1's?

Meaning you cannot easily mod them anymore
Nope, opened up my brand new one yesterday. It still has the larger board that should be easily modded. I suspect it's just a matter of time before it goes the way of the DS-1 and BD-2.

Orwells Ghost

It's my understanding that the Waza version is actually made entirely of discrete, through-hole components, meaning there are actually no IC's in there, just discrete transistors. To my knowledge, it's the only TS style pedal constructed in this manner. What effect this has on the sound at stock settings I can't say, but it's something to consider.

Blix

Norwegian
Silver Supporting Member
It's my understanding that the Waza version is actually made entirely of discrete, through-hole components, meaning there are actually no IC's in there, just discrete transistors. To my knowledge, it's the only TS style pedal constructed in this manner. What effect this has on the sound at stock settings I can't say, but it's something to consider.
It's almost all SMD actually.

wornoutjunkie

If you have the cash get a used SD-1w, if you dig the SD-1 sound, you probably will try to mod it, this one its already "modded", sounds great into dirty amps.

danbond

There's two things you ought to know: 1) that the SD-1 is a Tubescreamer pedal, and 2) the circuit is very utilitarian in what it does to your amp. Namely, it cuts bass and highs, adds mids and compression and a tiny bit of gain. Any pedal that does this (any tubescreamer) will get you "there" if the main tone is coming from your amp.
Just wanted to jump on this a little.

The SD1 clips asymmetrically to the Tubescreamer. They sound different and the more you turn the gain up the more you hear it. They can also sound similar (level up, gain down) The SD1 also cuts less bass and adds less mids. Pretty different.

There is also quite a lot of gain in both pedals - not heavy distortion, but smooth gain for lead playing. Also, a decent amount of level available.

SD1s have hardly changed, so try it and either it'll be the right pedal or the wrong one. Don't chase down different variants if the stock one isn't doing it for you.

Also try the MXR Badass OD. Similar thing. Maybe better as an OD. Less compressed.

stinkfoot

Like Blix said, it's all surface-mount, except for a few capacitors. I see at least one IC in there (labeled "IC3", curiously enough), but can't see the type or what it's used for. At the same time, there are a lot more transistors in the SD-1w than in the regular SD-1, so there might still be some truth to what you heard. It'd be interesting to see a schematic of this one...

Trending Topics