1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

boss sd-1 - opinions?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by markplaysguitar, May 23, 2011.

1. markplaysguitar

markplaysguitar Member

hey everyone, this is my first post, so forgive me for any noob-ishness

i'd love to hear your opinions on mods for the boss SD-1! mine is in the mail, so i havent actually played the stock one yet, but it seems like a decent platform (being a tubescreamer, essentially, as i understand it) that can be improved and made into something even better for a little money.

that said, any recommendations?
    i've been looking at Analogman's 808 Silver mod, and JHS's trans-am mod...opinions welcome.

current basic setup = blacktop tele > egnater rebel 20 w/matching cab

thanks! :D

2. allanh91

allanh91 Member

My sd-1 isn't modded. It's the first pedal I got and I will never sell it.

It's definitely a tubescreamer variant, and you'll get thick woody overdrive tones with it, but it gets smoother and more palatable in my opinion when you take the tone down a little.

Not on my board all the time, but I love coming back to it :D

Keep us posted with your mods, but remember, don't get the mod done for the sake of getting it done, enjoy the pedal for a month or so, put it away for a couple of days, then go back to it, weigh up what you like and don't like, and see which mod fits.

No need to fix what isn't broken eh? :p Saying which, it's only £40. You could get another ;)

3. greeny23

greeny23 Senior Member

i've had 4 of them personally and modded them all, along with modding countless others. i find they sound great stock, i just like changing a few minor things for my taste.

4. markplaysguitar

markplaysguitar Member

@allanh91 - wise words. this will be my first pedal as well. i'll play around with the stock version for a while, for sure.

@greeny23 - i didnt see a mod listed on your website for the SD-1...what modifications do you typically make on them?

5. Big White Tele

Big White Tele Member

Ive had a few, stock and modded, but the best one for me, Tele into Blackface, is an original Made in Japan stock one.

6. tlpruitt

tlpruitt Member

I too have modified a bunch of SD-1s over the years but I am currently digging a stock SD-1.

7. Muzzy

Muzzy Supporting Member

Same here. Keep it stock and play it for a while.

8. effectsman

effectsman Supporting Member

I had the Analogman SD1 with silver mods for a while and found it a great OD with lots of transparency compared to a more traditional TS. I also have an Analogman KOT so I was kind of covered for the transparent OD category, although the SD1 is definitely a different flavour. I now regret selling it :bonk

I don't think you could go wrong either way to be honest. Analogman does have a fine ear for tone, so I would trust that the improvements he has made were not just for the sake of tweaking. But keep it for a while and see how you can make it work in your rig. It may sound fine out of the box with your set up.

9. greeny23

greeny23 Senior Member

updated my website just for you :) drop me an email if your interested in me modding anything, i can work on whatever you're after really.

10. Championguitar

Championguitar Member

i like mine stock. eventually i'll probably have it modded but for now its just fine for me/

11. musicman1

musicman1 Member

I bought a SD1 a few years ago thinking that it would be a good companion to my DS1 and provide a softer, less grinding more amp like od.

Ive just never gotten along with the pedal. I dont find it particularly sensitive to volume pot changes and generally its either too clean and too mid rangy or too fuzzy sounding and lacking in harmonics or real riffing power.

It probably would excel sitting in front of a slightly dirty tube amp where it would act as a nice solo boost and add a little bit more grind to an already pushed amp.

It always seemed to sound good at home and never right on the gig where as the DS1 never disappointed me.

As for the various mods, with all the available demos on modded SD1s available I never thought the mods sounded good enough or better enough to warrant doing.

12. effectsman

effectsman Supporting Member

^^^ This! Needs to be going into an amp on the verge of breakup IMHO to sound it best. DS1 is a different animal and can take a clean channel and turn it into a cranked kinda marshall sound.

SD1 into a cooking amp though sounds really good. Mind you a DS1 set not too hot into a cooking amp can also sound amazing!

13. whiteop

whiteop Senior Member

The full clone mod makes it round similar to a Fulltone Fulldrive 2; one of my favorite OD pedals that's a TS9 variant. Look it up online.

14. rob2001

rob2001 Member

For pushing my JCM 800 it's great. I think it's just OK as a stand alone dirtbox into a clean amp. The tones don't sound so great when you play alone but they sit in a band mix very well. They do have issues. There is bleed with the gain set high and they do suck bass, but pushing a dirty amp these things don't matter much.

15. Bezzy

Bezzy Member

I love it, its the best cheap pedal you can buy IMO, also I would never mod it. It loves going through a very loud amp.

16. gibsonguitar1988

gibsonguitar1988 Member

I've always liked it but I've always wished it had a hint more gain and definitely more low end. But otherwise I'd say it's the best OD in the 100 bucks or less price range.

17. hacker

hacker Member

SD-1s and OD-1s were used by plenty of metal guitarists in the 1980s to push their JCM800s. They, like all Boss pedals, are on plenty of rock recordings from that time period as well. Pete Townshend has been using an SD-1 live recently into his Tone Kings

There was a concert to celebrate the Stratocaster on cable TV a short while back and many of those bands were using an SD-1 right on the floor

18. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

the coolest thing about your "noob-ishness" is that it's no different than folks who have been hanging out here for years.

you're already asking about modding a pedal you've never f*cking heard through your gear. that makes you a bonafide gear pager. you now have platinum status.

my personal advice is that you should wait until you get your pedal. . . then turn off your computer and play your sh*t.

if it sounds excellent. . . you should come back here and tell us. this place could use a bit more of that. . . .

:YinYang

19. markplaysguitar

markplaysguitar Member

great! that's actually exactly the kind of thing i wanted to use it for. i love the tone of my amp lightly overdriven, but I was having trouble getting enough oomph/grit/etc. for solos

not bad for a first post...

20. Kev O)))

Kev O))) Member

Wait and play it stock first before deciding on any mods.

I too didn't think I would like it out of the box but in fact, its kicked all the other dirt off my board and I don't see it going anywhere soon.

Besides, if its good enough for Mike Ness than its good enough for me!