1. During the first week of August 2020, we'll be upgrading the software TGP runs on to the currently available up-to-date version. The software version is a significant upgrade, so there will be some downtime as we do the work under the hood. We've got a team of professionals, including the software development company assisting the process. We've conducted substantial tests using backups of the current forum to ensure a smooth and successful upgrade. We've gone to great lengths on the design of the theme (aka 'skin' or look and feel) of the forum to offer a better user experience for members and visitors. The default theme will be new, yet clearly influenced by the classic TGP look. We will have a dark version of that also easily selectable. Also available will be a "Classic TGP" theme that closely matches the current theme you are accustomed to using with the current software. There is also an easy width adjustment to make it set width or expand to your window width for each theme. As we get closer, I'll update everyone so hopefully, no one will be caught by surprise.
    Dismiss Notice

Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Madison, Mar 18, 2020.

1. dave b-4

dave b-4 Member

I had replaced my SD-1 with an OCD. I’ve since added it back to the board. Plays great on its own as well as fantastic into the OCD

fretless and The-Kid like this.
  2. Pidgin English

Pidgin English Member

That sounds like some nice Ace Frehley tone right there!

NorCal_Val likes this.
  3. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

Not as much as you’d expect. More like John Sykes’ tone on Thin Lizzy’s “Thunder And Lightning” album.

monty and Pidgin English like this.
  4. OotMagroot

OotMagroot Supporting Member

I still have one that I bought a few years ago. Still totally stock. Occasionally I break it out and replace whatever TS I'm using (and I am ALWAYS running a TS of some sort) just for grins. I'm gonna keep it as one of my secret weapons when I need it.

leonard d rock and The-Kid like this.
  5. Mentat

Mentat Member

I just scored one last week off Ebay. It has the stacked mod. Hardly anyone was bidding on it, so I got a really great deal. I'm going to make a small all Boss pedal board, and use it as the only drive.
    Really happy to finally get one. Great pedal!

monty and The-Kid like this.
  6. HoweFan

HoweFan Member

Yank C6 and bump C3 up to 0.1uF and it's a fantastic lil' pedal!

leonard d rock likes this.
  7. mici

mici Member

SD-1 in front of cranked Orange Rocker 30 is probably the best tone tone I've ever heard!

monty, fretless and The-Kid like this.
  8. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr Gold Supporting Member

Many of us like the TS tone, but find it just a tad dark and it CAN get sizzly/fuzzy when the gain is up high. The SD1 just sounds sweeter, slightly brighter, not QUITE as big of a woody mid-bump as a TS. Both are great, but I agree that I have a slight preference for the SD1 over the TS.

Junco Partner and fretless like this.
  9. doghouseman

doghouseman Member

I like it in front of my Bogner ATMA. Just started using it. Sounds great. It also stacks well with other distortion pedals and stacks well with the built in Bogner distortion.

Yes, tried and true, classic pedal.

NorCal_Val likes this.
  10. doghouseman

doghouseman Member

Also, are the WAZA SD-1s worth it?

The-Kid likes this.
  11. TheNewWhatNext

TheNewWhatNext Member

My brother's old SD-1 gets a lot of use. I run it with an Fender Bassbreaker 45 Head which has very Plexi/JMPish characteristics, almost like a switch from punk rock to hardcore punk in a single stroke. Absolutely badass, cutting and raw but full and warm at the same time.

12. MissoulaGriz

MissoulaGriz Member

I’m a convert! Been using my original ‘83 TS9 since I bought it new. Never really thought much of it then I bought an SD-1 a year ago just to check it out. All these years I could have been rocking an SD-1!
    So glad I figured it out. Better late than never.
    I still love my old trusty TS9 but now it’s in “retirement.”

fretless and The-Kid like this.
  13. metrokosmiko

metrokosmiko Member

I like the way the SD-1 overdrives an amp but I don't think it beats a regular TS9 in any way. I did a shootout with some friends the other day and the TS9 was just so much smoother. The bass cut on the SD-1 felt too dramatic in comparison.

I wonder why the OD-3 isn't more popular. It's the most balanced of all Boss overdrives, to my ears, and the most "amp" sounding.

Pidgin English likes this.
  14. Pidgin English

Pidgin English Member

Oh hell yes!!! That’s awesome! Thunder and Lightning was my 2nd favorite Lizzy album after Jailbreak. The solo on Cold Sweat doesn’t get talked about enough. John killed it on that album.

NorCal_Val likes this.
  15. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

Yep!
    That solo is a GOOD solo. Really good.

Pidgin English likes this.
  16. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Member

I like my SD-1. I like it a lot. But I have a regular rotation of drive pedals and the SD-1 is certainly in heavy rotation among them. I rotate through my Bad Monkey (which is currently on the board) and the MXR Il Diavolo, which is also very good. Both my amps have two channels, so a drive pedal has to be able to do a bunch of things.

I need it to boost the clean channel for crunch and leads. Even better if it's sensitive enough to react to the guitar's volume and pick attack changes. I also need it to boost the crunch channel for distorted leads, and again, sensitivity is preferred.

The SD-1 does all these things for short money.

17. phazersonstun

phazersonstun Member

There’s a handful of drive pedals boss has done a great job on.

The SD-1 is pretty wonderful to me as a boost into an amp or dirt pedal that’s already cooking a bit to heat it up some more. The low cut & mid bump make it an effective tool that way.

The OD-3 has been a staple in my arsenal for years. This one does very well as a main light to medium gain OD. Perhaps a bit too full in the lows for some amps but I tend to dial a bit of low out of the amp to compensate & leave the pedal on all time then ride guitar volume for cleaner tones & stack with an SD-1 or ST-2 for gainer things.

I’ve got much pricier stuff or things I like more for a specific sound, but between the Boss stuff I’ve kept around, (OD-3, SD-1, ST-2 x2, FB-2, BC-2, GE-7, TE-2, TR-2, RV-5, RV-6, TU-2) I could happily gig / record with em & there isn’t much I couldn’t convincingly dial in.

They’ll probably continue to work longer than me too.

middy and monty like this.
  18. MikeMcK

MikeMcK Silver Supporting Member

Love the SD1. It's not on my board these days, but when I was going through the very expensive pedal-hunting process I once got "stuck" with a backup pedal-board that included 2 of them. The first was unity gain (gain at 0, volume all the way up and tone at noon) and the second was used as an OD, all into a Hayseed 30.

At the time I was playing with a local hero, killer guitar player and it was the one and only time he made a point of telling me how great my rig sounded that night.

I've said it before, but if the SD1 was only available as a hand-soldered $300 circuit, the waiting list would go out for years. My two cost me $60 total (one used but mint).

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    monty and Sean Mac like this.
  19. jman

jman Supporting Member

I have had a number of stock and modded SD-1's,like them more than TS's.

...yep,OD-3 is also a good one.

fretless likes this.
  20. The-Kid

The-Kid CIOKS dealer and seller Vendor

Yes!!!!

Main reason I got an SD1!

Shot out a stock one vs a Waza......

The stock mode is a bit nicer than the stock SD1 and the custom side transforms it into another pedal in a good way.

However the SD1 50$ is great on its own either way and Ima pick one up too to pair with my SD1W and the other TS and OD809

doghouseman likes this.