Boss SD-1 with a AM Silver-Mod?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Melodic Dreamer, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

I was thinking of having an SD-1 sent off to Analogman for his famous Silver-Mod. Has anyone done this with their SD-1 before? If so, what did you think?

2. bostonwal

bostonwal Member

Get the push-pull knob as well - the Asym clipping is the way to go. I liked this pedal much more than an AM Classic Mod TS-9 and a Keeley TS-808. I get a digeridoo sound at times with it when tuning down a step. Very nice.

3. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

Thanx,
    How does it compare to a OD9 or a TS9 with the same mod?

4. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

+1

I don't know about the digerdoo part, but the AM silver modded SD-1 is a great pedal. The Monte Allums mod is quite good as well, and it's only $20--just leave out the 2x gain part.

Even the best of the modded TS-9 pedals can sound "cardboardy" to my ears, but the SD-1 never loses that extra little bit of grit that makes it sound more natural. And I agree that asym clipping is the way to go, again more grittly and organic sounding.

5. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

So does the push/pull knob give you the option for both types of clipping?

6. fuzz_factor

fuzz_factor Supporting Member

Exactly. The push/pull lets you switch between the two types of clipping. It costs an extra $25 when send your pedal in.

I just bought a SD-1 myself and I'm thinking of sending it off to Analogman. Anyone care to comment on what the Silver mod gives you that the regular 808 mod doesn't?

7. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

I think it has less mids and more clarity than the vintage Mod. I played a friends Silver Moded Od9 and it was freaking awesome!

8. fuzz_factor

Thanks. More clarity sounds good to me, but I'm not sure about the less mids part. I have several OD pedals right now and the one I like the least is my OCD, mainly, I think, because the lack of mids makes it sound thin to my ears.

I like the SD-1 because it's a l little ruder than the OCD. Perhaps if I send to to AM to mod, I'll just get the 808 with the push/pull knob.

9. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

Well, the mids were not scooped at all. There just wasn't a huge mid-hump in the sound, but more usuable mids in my opinion. It sounded fuller and clearer with more bass than a standard TS style pedal. It wasn't thin by any means.

10. prsnstrat

prsnstrat Member

Never heard the AM mod, but the Keeley mod was just OK and I have the Allums modded one now, which is my fave of the two so far.

11. fuzz_factor

Ah, thanks! Something to think about...

12. bostonwal

bostonwal Member

Yeah, the digeridoo sound is something that takes some searching on my rig before I find it, but the AM Silver SD-1 with Asym clipping is the key ingredient. I'll try and make a recording of it and post it.

13. Thazy

Thazy Member

Don't forget about CMATMODS as well. I have his SD-1 TS808 mod and it's really a great sounding pedal.