1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Boss SD-2, believe the hype!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Bentayuk, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Bentayuk

Bentayuk Supporting Member

My Boss SD-2 arrived last night, battered and old, but working. It was the best I could get to under $100.

[​IMG]

I plugged it into my Gibson LP / Origin 50c and HOLY SH*T!

First I’m going to say that the Crunch mode is actually pretty good. It REALLY reminds me of the Crunch channel on a DSL. In fact it has more gain on tap, which many have wished the DSL would. I boosted it with an MXR ZW-44 (modded SD-1) and it almost reacted exactly like a DSL’s Crunch channel boosted. 80’s Hard Rock / Thrash heaven!

The Lead mode is no joke! It is the most JCM 800 sounding pedal I’ve played. It instantly turned my Origin into the amp it should be! It has enough gain and punch on tap to really give you that cranked JCM tone. I’ve owned 2 JCM 800’s (one 2203 and one 2203KK) and it’s uncanny.

One thing that really stands out is the tone knob. It NEVER gets fizzy! I turned it up all the way, and it stayed thick, and just got clearer with more cut.

This pedal has to be tried to be believed. So believe the hype! There are several awesome JCM in a box pedals these days, namely the JHS Angry Charlie and PAL 800. But I cannot believe it took until 2019 for me to play this pedal, let alone find out about it, the best 800 tone has been there all along!

valvestate, Kevsonic and monty like this.
  2. LordThurisaz

LordThurisaz Member

I really don't need this pedal...

Why must you do this? Lol

valvestate, Ren007, one4five and 5 others like this.
  3. MESA/BUDDA

MESA/BUDDA Member

The pedal is full of win. Glad you found one. Love mine. Got it for $45 CAD less than two years ago in 8/10 condition. That's $33 USD! Lol!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    Bentayuk likes this.
  4. Bentayuk

Here’s some other MIAB pedals I’ve owned:
    • Boss ST-2
    • Boss DS-1
    • Wampler Plextortion
    • Carl Martin Plexitone single
    • Mooer 002 UK Gold 900
    • Hardwire SC-2
    • Digitech Hot Head
    • Fulltone OCD
    • ProCo Rat 2
    • Amptweaker Tight Rock
    • Okko Dominator
    When it comes to JCM 800, the SD-2 is definitely top of the pile. I’d like to try the Angry Charlie of PAL 800 at some point too, but it should be remembered they’re $50-100 more.

valvestate likes this.
  5. LordThurisaz

LordThurisaz Member

But you're playing it in front of a Marshall, so... surely that has a lot to do with it?

As for calling the DS-1 a MIAB... I don't hear it at all. Maybe a broken Marshall, but even then...

stonem and indeedido like this.
  6. Bentayuk

I’ll be sure to try it into a Fender too, but yes I have a Marshall, so that’s what it’s going into.

As far as I know, the DS-1 was designed to be a Marshall stack in a pedal, abet not a great one.

LordThurisaz likes this.
  7. LordThurisaz

LordThurisaz Member

8. rushrocker

rushrocker Member

And now I want another pedal.

valvestate, Fredescu and LordThurisaz like this.
  9. soundxplorer

soundxplorer Member

Bentayuk likes this.
  10. monty

monty Member

Damn you, I'm going to have to stay away from L&M for a bit now.

LordThurisaz likes this.
  11. BearBryan

BearBryan Member

What hype? It's always been a sleeper along with the OD-3.

valvestate likes this.
  12. Riffa

Riffa Member

Every now and again someone comes along and does this. Dammit, now I have to go find one

valvestate likes this.
  13. Void_pointer

Void_pointer Member

I got one off eBay a few years ago when I read an interview with Steve Wilson where he said he used one in his live rig. The high gain side is really good. It Can get to almost fuzz. I have no idea but I always wondered if it was similar circuit to HM-2. The low gain side is terrible IMO. Which is too bad. But a cool pedal for $30.

Bentayuk likes this.
  14. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

It should just be an SD-1 and DS-1 in one box. And then you can combine them. I wonder how they tweaked each circuit.

15. flyonthewall150

flyonthewall150 Supporting Member

Eh, it's alright. Find the OD side flubby, and the lead side overly compressed, middy, and lacking low end.

16. Steve73

Steve73 Member

I like mine a lot, I just like my OS2 a bit better....

17. Brutus

Brutus Member

Run it into an SD-1. All of a sudden it takes on a whole different aspect. I don’t care for it by itself, but this way, yes.

18. OotMagroot

OotMagroot Supporting Member

I still want an OD-2. Plus, we haven't mentioned the DS-2 in this thread yet.