BOSS SY-1 Synthesizer

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 7thString, Jul 11, 2019.

1. See3po

See3po Member

It's hard to compare the Enzo to the SY-1 since it isn't out yet. The SY-1 seemed to really come to life with other pedals in the loop.

I find the Enzo is tough to control and hard to get volume balanced right. I usually end up just running it with a dedicated line out. Looking forward to seeing if the SY-1 is easier to manage.

JosephZdyrski likes this.
  2. JosephZdyrski

JosephZdyrski Member

I really look forward to trying it with my TE2 or PS6 in the loop. S-Bend mode one octave up with a medium to slow rise/fall should yield interesting results. If it tracks as well as the PS6 that’s all anyone can ask for.

3. Moody Tuner

Moody Tuner Member

Make sure you cross post in a Meris thread. You’re likely to find more allies there.

These two products are not competing for the same user base. The SY-1 is going to outsell the Enzo by a landslide, but that’s beside the point.

hippietim likes this.
  4. grozeil

grozeil Member

My idea as well : loop fed with PS-6, DD-7 and HM-2. Should be chaotic!

5. grozeil

grozeil Member

According to that video, it seems that the effects in the loop affects the synth sound (around 7:30)?

6. hippietim

hippietim Member

I have an Enzo as well. It can sound very good but the usability is poor. I’ll never understand why anyone would create a pedal where every control as an “alt” function without labeling the box. That’s the one thing they should not have carried forward from Strymon.

All that aside, the Enzo doesn’t sound better than the SY-300. It sounds quite different. I think they are fairly complimentary really. I’m looking forward to the SY-1 as a simple “quick dial” synth pedal and from what I can tell, it will deliver that.

Wolfboy1 likes this.
  7. olejason

olejason Supporting Member

I had an Enzo. The sounds generated can be quite nice but the usability/stability is an absolute mess. It's a decent choice if you're hellbent on generating those sounds from a guitar and don't care about not having any real control over output level but something like a Minilogue is immeasurably better in every way.

mech, xcc, Kidrock1986 and 1 other person like this.
  8. Pewtershmit

Pewtershmit Member

You can see him turn up the direct level. The direct sound is only effected by the loop.

grozeil likes this.
  9. Cornholio

Cornholio Member

I played with this for awhile at Summer Namm today. It's a very fun pedal, and it tracks well. Works with guitar and bass. I love EHX, but I hated the Synth 9 and I ended up selling it. Most of the sounds were bad, like a cheap casio. The sounds on this SY-1 and night and day better. I have one on pre-order. The only thing that may be a challenge for a live rig is no sort of user presets. But I guess that is the trade off for the small footprint.

This will be a hit

triviani, monty and Wolfboy1 like this.
  10. monty

monty Member

Nice to hear from someone who used it. I too love EHX and own the Mel9 and B9 pedals but was really let down by the S9. Cant wait to try this one out!

11. stockment

stockment Member

I’m really curious about the organ patches compared to my ehx C9. I don’t expect them to be as good, but the idea of a built in hold function (coupled with my mini vent) has my interest piqued...

monty likes this.
  12. Kidrock1986

Kidrock1986 Member

Enzo is superior alright but it's hard to set it up, like all current Meris products. I think Meris target a specific group of users. That's why there are many used Enzo on Reverb. And Boss SY-1 just looks like plug and play.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    TelePrankster, hippietim and See3po like this.
  13. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Member

Sounds amazing judging from the demos, third on my GAS list.

First I need a Nux Tape Core Deluxe, which I properly get next month, as that is actually relatively cheap, then an EHX Attack Decay, and then finally the new Boss SY-1.

The EHX Attack Decay and Boss SY-1 ought to be able to cover all my synth needs.

No doubt it is, but it is also slightly bigger and over double as expensive, and far from everyone will even need more features than what the Boss SY-1 got.

14. Kennyscrown

Kennyscrown Member

Rock School - I used to love it. I started playing guitar in 1984, and we used to watch Rock School religiously, especially for the interviews. There was nothing else like it.

It's unbelievably embarrassing to think just how much I loved it.

monty likes this.
  15. monty

monty Member

Yep, debating flipping my B9 for this. I don't need all the organ patches, just a good one and the other sounds on the Boss would be icing on the cake.

stockment likes this.
  16. Jr Deluxe

Jr Deluxe Member

You would consider selling a pedal to buy another? The very thought makes me sick . Now excuse me while i built a fort out of pedals i dont use and crawl in it. I cant wait till the SY-1 comes out. My fort needs another brick.

Not Orange, marshcj, 2pods and 2 others like this.
  17. TelePrankster

TelePrankster Member

I've never put my hands on a Meris pedal but I tend to agree with you. They seem to target a specific kind of user, which I was until a couple of years ago. I now prefer simple stuff and plug and play in general.

18. radiophonic

radiophonic Member

Deirdre! Henry! Geoff! It's all on YouTube! I'd forgotten how sarcastic the keyboard player was in Series 2.

19. radiophonic

radiophonic Member

I'm really impressed with this sonically and the tracking looks great. However, the 11 position switching looks like a studio thing rather than a live proposition. I panic over my PS6 under stage lighting - the detune chorus setting is right next to S-Bend! I think for live work, I'd want presets if I was running more than a single sound which is why I'm leaning more towards the Source C4. It does seem that no fuss guitar synth tech has finally arrived for real though and that it's now just a case of picking the options and complexity that you want rather than complex = good = expensive.

20. Kidrock1986

Kidrock1986 Member

Yup that's what happened to me with their Mercury 7. Good thing that's exactly what I'm looking for my project band. But if I want to cover other songs as requested by my other band who love covers, I have hard time dialing other different reverb sounds from the Mercury.

TelePrankster likes this.