BOSS SY-1 Synthesizer

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 7thString, Jul 11, 2019.

1. olejason

olejason Supporting Member

For you guys who keep mentioning "cheesy" sounds... what sort of synth sounds are you looking for? The SY-1 seems to be targeted more towards vintage style semi-modular sounds which are really popular in the pop/EDM world right now. Seems like you guys would prefer more modern hi-fi sounds like you might find in VST's?

It also seems like a fair number of people were expecting a rompler pedal which obviously isn't what BOSS was trying to do with this thing.

xcc, Michael Evrard, monty and 2 others like this.
  2. Not Orange

Not Orange Supporting Member

Does anyone do a ROMpler pedal? Because I'd buy that in a flash.
    Market is getting flooded with the video game and 'analog' synth pedals.
    I've got several of those and would like to add a ROMpler for more realistic instruments (strings, horns, etc).

monty likes this.
  3. jondom22

jondom22 Supporting Member

Which vintage style synths do you think it sounds like? I typically like making guitar synth sounds that are more akin to vintage moogs, jupiters and junos.

Michael Evrard likes this.
  4. olejason

olejason Supporting Member

Not that I'm aware of, I've seen people run the Roland pickup into a laptop for that sort of thing but nothing contained in a pedal. Agreed it would be awesome and that seems to be what a lot of guitarists actually want in a "synth" pedal they just don't really know the terminology to get their idea across.

Many of the presets are definitely attempting to ape those sorts of sounds. Stuff like the SH-101 as well. Honestly it seems like a lot of people are sort of unfamiliar with what synths actually sound like outside of the context of a mix or other effects.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  5. forgivenman

forgivenman Member

That’s me- I know what I like but have no idea how to describe the sound

Wolfboy1, Tone Loco and Zakor like this.
  6. jondom22

jondom22 Supporting Member

I own the SY-300, and I love it, but I don't think it sounds like any of those synths really, it just has its own sound for lack of a better description. If anything, I think the stock presets sound closer to 90s synths you would hear on TRL 1999 with Carson Daily's frosted blonde fratboy flip hairdo ; ) One man's cheese is another man's food.

Again, I really do love my SY-300, my initial comment was the sound of the stock presets of the SY-300 (and SY-1) vs. the sounds you can program within the SY-300 once you start blending oscillators, filters, LFOs, etc. That's where it can start sounding very cool and unique. I think for those looking for a more traditional synth sound in a pedal without having to use a hex pickup, the C4 sounds a lot better in that regard. YMMV

Not Orange likes this.
  7. HipUncle

HipUncle Supporting Member

If I can get a handful of sounds, that's all I really need. I don't want to replace a keyboard player; I do really want to have a sound or two that passes for a GR300, and some pads. So If I can find at least 4 useable sounds, I'll be happy.

jondom22, Zakor, Squatch57 and 3 others like this.
  8. Jr Deluxe

Jr Deluxe Member

They should use the sy300 editor so you could design sounds then load them into slots in the sy1.

9. Silver Hand

Silver Hand Member

My guess is that would just get the SY-1 to steal sales from the SY-300 more than it would get buyers who wouldn't buy an SY-1 to buy one.

monty likes this.
  10. Jr Deluxe

Jr Deluxe Member

Maybe but many who want an sy300 arent going to shell out the $700 no matter what but might pinch out $200 for the sy1. If boss gets 3 if these people to buy an sy1 then they equaled out the saled loss. And one of them might find the sy1 a gateway drug to the sy300.

Wolfboy1 likes this.
  11. FuzzFacetious

FuzzFacetious Member

If I have dirt pedals in the loop, and engage a dirt pedal, but the SY is off, will I just get the distortion or will it mix in the clean signal too?

HipUncle and Zakor like this.
  12. HipUncle

Good question...I'm assuming that you would just get the clean signal. I'm hoping that the loop is only active when the pedal is turned on. I'm guessing that the only way to have the dirt in the loop process your guitar with no clean guitar and no synth sound is to turn on the SY and mix the synth sound all the way off, hoping that the synth can in fact be mixed all the way out.

I wish the manual was posted somewhere.

edit: the manual is here, but it's still not clear exactly how the loop functions https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/SY-1_eng02_W.pdf

one more edit:
    this video at 7:23 demonstrates the loop better:

It's a parallel loop, and there are concentric knobs to control the amount of the loop/dry as well as the synth. If you don't plug anything in to the send/return, then you just get the dry signal. But if you do plug something in the send/return, that takes the place of your dry signal. I.e., it's an insert loop on the guitar signal. It's described as a parallel loop, but it's in parallel with the synth signal, and it's an insert on the guitar signal.

So answer your question, if the SY is off, you will not hear any of your dirt pedals that are in the SY loop.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
    Vandrovec and FuzzFacetious like this.
  13. FuzzFacetious

FuzzFacetious Member

That's a pain.. I was hoping toto simplify my chain by looping the dirt, so it would be Guitar - Drop - SY1 - filter machine - amp.

Now I definitely have to keep all of the dirt pedals in the.chain :/

Before or after synth, I wonder?

14. HipUncle

You can put dirt in the loop, just be aware that if you want the dirt without the synth, you'll need to adjust the mix controls accordingly. Personally, if you've got more than one dirt pedal, I'd put one in the SY loop.

FuzzFacetious likes this.
  15. FuzzFacetious

FuzzFacetious Member

[​IMG]
    How would you suggest i go about adding the SY-1 to this board? (Dimension C, CDR and Echo Machine are in amp fx loop)

16. Steven

Steven Member

I´m going to jump on the train when the SY-200 arrives.

Daniel Krawchuk likes this.
  17. HipUncle

It's a tough call, and depends on the kind of sounds you want to make.
    - If there's anything you want to hear on your guitar while the synth is playing, put that either in the Sy-1 loop or before the SY1 (if it doesn't cause the SY1 to mis-track)
    - anything that will cause the SY1 to not track (experimentation required), I'd put after the SY1.
    - personally I'd put reverb/echo after SY1, but if you had reverb before distortion within the SY1 loop, you could get a MBV guitar sound accompanied by synth, so I'd be tempted to put the Zoom multi-effect in the loop.

And so on...

FuzzFacetious likes this.
  18. Flogger59

Flogger59 Member

35 years ago I was THE GR300 and GR700 guy. I later left those things to the keyboard guys. I found guitar synthesis antithetical to the expression allowed by the guitar itself.

With one exception, the Jan Hammer/Jeff Beck doubled solo sound. The loop would allow me to do that. Color me intrigued.

HipUncle and Squatch57 like this.
  19. sam_spade

sam_spade Member

I think this pedal would be really boss, with just a few saveable presets. :D

20. Vandrovec

Vandrovec Member

Do any of the bass synth variations have a range control like the Boss OC-3?