BOSS SY-1 Synthesizer

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 7thString, Jul 11, 2019.

1. thatguyoverthere

thatguyoverthere Member

It seems the SY-1 is at its best in tandem with time effects. These sound great, thanks for sharing!

2. Silver Hand

Silver Hand Member

Neat version of the radiohead song.

monty likes this.
  3. Oldschool59

Oldschool59 Member

For those of you who already have the SY-1, two questions:

1) how fast is the tracking, can you feel the lag when playing?
    2) how does it do on chords and polyphonic tracking in general?

Thanks in advance.

4. slimefuzz

slimefuzz Member

It's not actually tracking, it's real time processing to make the synth sound, no lag.
    Best with 2 or 3 note chords. can be glitchy with complex chords.
    One reason chords aren't great is there's too much harmonic complexity the way the
    synth picks up all the overtones.
    The next gen SY tech should have an option to isolate or greatly highlight the fundamental.

Silver Hand and Oldschool59 like this.
  5. tobereleased

tobereleased Member

I think what the SY series pedals do best is definitely being super fun. I love my SY-300, but I appreciate it more for the fun than for the sound quality.

6. monkeybrains

monkeybrains Member

I've had the SY-1 for a couple of weeks now. I think its really good fun too.
    My personal findings is that I really need an expression pedal hooked up to it so I can use the filter to swell in the higher octaves. I'm using it with a TE-2, DM-3 and an RV5 (I do love boss pedals!) to really spread out the sound and make huge soundscapes that I record on a looper and play over.
    It sounds great for what I want to use it for. It tracks fine, although I do normally play slow, I did put it through its paces with some faster stuff and it kept up with me!. Like others have said it works best with simpler chords (root,5th, 3rd).
    If it had presets that would have been super useful. Overall Very happy and don't regret buying it.

Silver Hand, monty, Zakor and 3 others like this.
  7. Clark GriswoId

Clark GriswoId Supporting Member

I concur with @monkeybrains .

An expression pedal is really needed to pull out the real potential.

8. Steve Y.

Steve Y. Member

For anyone else currently using this pedal, have you noticed that it gets obnoxiously loud depending on effect level, depth setting and string attack? I get that as any of those parameters are increased the resulting volume will be increased to some degree, but I have had multiple occasions where it just gets ear-bleedingly loud. Maybe I need to put a compressor pedal directly after the SY-1 to knock down those amplitude peaks?

AcceptableNorm likes this.
  9. Silver Hand

Silver Hand Member

Pretty much any guitar effect with a sweepable frequency boost can benefit from a compressor after it. Bass players that like to use filter pedals are very familiar with this issue.

monty likes this.
  10. Silver Hand

Silver Hand Member

Have many of you received your pre-orders yet? I was on the first round of pre orders for CME and they were supposed to ship last week. So far not shipped, no update, and they've opened up pre orders again for another batch estimated for September. Should I be cancelling and ordering from somewhere else?

11. esppse

esppse Member

I'd love a 200 series sized version of this, having midi, etc but very portable. My SY300 is taking too much space in my rack.

Silver Hand likes this.
  12. AcceptableNorm

AcceptableNorm Member

I've had one on preorder with zzounds since mid July. I just called them for an update of when I might expect it to ship. He told me that they are expecting to receive some for shipping on Aug 31. But he said that it will be a small shipment of only 5 to 10 of them. He said that there are around 100 people ahead of me for preorders. I'm starting to wonder when we will actually be able to get our hands on these. Sounds like Boss isn't making many of these. The guy I work for just got a Earthquake Data Corrupter, now I'm considering canceling my preorder and just getting the data corrupter for now and wait and see what happens with the SY-1 and it's actual availability.

Silver Hand likes this.
  13. Silver Hand

Silver Hand Member

I contacted CME and they said Boss pushed their shipment back to September. It looks like these SY-1 pedals might be drawing more attention than Boss anticipated.

14. Steve Y.

Steve Y. Member

Thanks for the feedback! I tried putting my CS-3 directly after the SY-1 and it seemed to help a lot. Those nasty amplitude spikes are all but eliminated, and if I want to get loud I can just switch off the compressor. Good stuff!

songtalk, Silver Hand and monty like this.
  15. AndyMander82

AndyMander82 Member

Went to the local shop for an eq pedal last Friday and came out with one of these instead and apparently only 3 or 4 sent to shops in Ireland. Have no practical use for it but its a lot of fun. It seems to work a better with humbuckers for me as the high e string is not very audible with my guitar with single coils.

Will try it out with the looper when I get a chance this weekend and see what I can come up with.

Silver Hand likes this.
  16. Kidrock1986

Kidrock1986 Member

Got a mint on reverb priced at brand new then proceed to cancel my pre-order on sweetwater. Did not bother to negotiate when I got a reply from sweetwater of the shipment delay. It looks like Boss under estimate the demand world wide.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    AcceptableNorm and Silver Hand like this.
  17. Steve Y.

Steve Y. Member

I spent some time with the SY-1 last night. Per above, I put the CS-3 compressor/sustainer directly after the SY-1 and it is a lot more predictable and enjoyable in this setup.
    Here's a little synthy jam I was stuck on last night. Background loop is with SY-1 in one of the "Lead" settings with some guitar tone mixed in, CS-3 turned on, volume pedal swells into Ventris reverb with a shimmer setting. Second "lead" synth part is with SY-1 in one of the 'Pad' settings, everything else the same. 'Clean' lead part is with SY-1 turned off, everything else the same. The guitar is a Classic Player series (Made in Mexico) Jazzmaster in the neck pickup position with tone around 5, playing through a Roland JC-120 and Fender Hot Rod Deluxe in stereo:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qgbp1eix4o0ye7c/New%20Recording%20397.m4a?dl=0

Wolfboy1 likes this.
  18. Wolfboy1

Wolfboy1 Grandpa but...Not Yet Old! Silver Supporting Member

I got a Data Corrupter. Had it for a few months and sold it. Some people love them but I was completely underwhelmed. Really had a hard time coming up with anything usable for live playing or really enjoyable for home use. YMMV but there are plenty of used ones available. When I sold it I bought an Enzo. I haven't used it yet live but it is far more fun to use and really an instrument unto itself. I am working on some live uses and it has potential, I also think crowds will like it it if used creatively as it's not just noise. I'd wait for the SY-1 if that's what you want. Also IMHO, presets are key with these synth/avant-garde pedals pedals for live use.

19. AcceptableNorm

AcceptableNorm Member

Thanks for your response. Fortunately I won't be playing live or anything like that. I just play in my little corner of my home office at bedroom levels.
    I do dig the sounds of the data corrupter, I'd love to wait for the SY-1, but I think the data corrupter will fill my need for crazy weirdness for now.
    The Enzo does look like a pretty cool synth pedal, I've watched a few videos of it on YouTube and I'm pretty impressed by what I heard. So many amazing effects these days but not enough money to buy them all..

Wolfboy1 likes this.
  20. Moody Tuner

Moody Tuner Member

The SY1 is still on my list because I’m a huge BOSS fan, but I just picked up a Korg Monilogue and the DD200. I will be running the Korg through my Data Corrupter, rainbow machine, bitquest, guitar Disruptor, guitardammerung and my joker octave pedal. Maybe not at all at once, or maybe all at once. Either way, I’m good for now.