BOSS SY-1 Synthesizer

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 7thString, Jul 11, 2019 at 3:29 AM.

1. Dr.Picklebottom

Dr.Picklebottom Member

awesome. this is what boss is great at doing. im glad all the waza garbage wasnt all they were working on.

im def getting this.

Anacharsis likes this.
  2. whackystrings

whackystrings Member

I envision using this maybe one song per set in my covers band. Luckily, I will use that break time to fetch my headlamp and magnifying glass to set the parameters for the next song...only half-joking...

ur2funky, 4inchjones and DTuned like this.
  3. magnus02

magnus02 Member

4. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

My thoughts exactly. This is going to annihilate the EHX Synth9.

5. ChipOnly

ChipOnly Supporting Member

6. korgi

korgi Member

I was really looking forward to some new waza garbage! :bonk

7. johngregson

johngregson Member

It even *looks* great. Really looking forward to this one!

hippieboy likes this.
  8. jondom22

jondom22 Supporting Member

The tough part about potentially giving up the SY-300 is that beyond the basic synth sounds, you have control over 6 LFOs that can modulate the filter, pitch, or volume, up to 3 sequencers, plus the slicer and a slew of fx. Add to that MIDI control to switch between patches on the fly, and utilitarian things like the built-in tuner, using it as a volume pedal, LPF wah, etc. I'd prob need to replace it with an SY-1 (polyphonic and fast tracking capablities) + C4 (assuming better quality synth sounds, arp, amazing envelope/lfo/exp filter options...but not polyphonic and requires editor) + Boss MD-500 (slicer, pattern filter) which is more than the $400 I bought the SY-300 for on reverb, and would take up as much (maybe a lil more) space.

Dammit! I hate you tgp and interwebz for giving me so many choices and information! ;)

9. olejason

olejason Supporting Member

Really impressive. It looks like a great option for people who don't want to fuss too much with building presets or learning about synthesis.

Should be interesting to see how it compares to the Source Audio C4 which seems to more focused on monophonic (I know it can do polyphony in some cases) sounds with a lot of deep editing capabilities.

forgivenman likes this.
  10. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for Silver Supporting Member

This is a good idea. The SY-300 sounds great and tracks amazingly well, but it's huge and kind of overwhelming to program. This should get that cool sound and tracking in the hands of guitarists who don't want to be synth nerds.

Does it have that arpeggiator, though?

11. monty

monty Member

Damn, took them less than a minute to pick my pocket this time. Love it!

pickaguitar, RiverDog and Silver Hand like this.
  12. jondom22

jondom22 Supporting Member

From the website and demos, it looks like it has some arp patches. They would be pre-programmed tho which I don't like since it will be too easy for the thousands of SY-1 users to be using the same arp sequences on songs.

Either way, I'm def gonna check this and the C4 out when they hit stores. Def would be ideal for my smaller jam board.

13. R.C.Moran

R.C.Moran Silver Supporting Member

It might be a little competition but the Synth9 is so focused on sounding like particular synths, and is a little more user friendly for getting what you want immediately rather than having TONS of sound options. I think both will do just fine on the market.

JosephZdyrski likes this.
  14. northstar6000

northstar6000 Member

This looks awesome. I would never have considered the big SY-3000, just too expensive and overkill for my needs.

But hot damn this looks really well thought out. And it sounds great. Stephans demo really showcased some quick and slow playing and I didn't hear any glitching or any artifacts.

Sadly I am sure in Canada this will cost $300 or more. But still I want it.

hippieboy likes this.
  15. olejason

It is completely different than the SYB-5

Silver Hand likes this.
  16. CrashC317

CrashC317 Member

I dig it. I would guess 90% of guitarists remotely interested in synth sounds would go for the SY-1 over the C4. Really, all most guitarists care about is -- does it make cool sounds I can use? SY-1 seems to check that box. It's simpler, cheaper, appears to track better and has polyphony.

Source Audio is well aware they cater to a niche of a niche of a niche (guitarists > interested in synth sounds > willing to deal with USB, MIDI, and phone/desktop apps). For those few, like the guy a couple posts above, it exceeds their needs and is well worth it. Whether there are enough customers in that niche to turn a profit remains to be seen.

17. olejason

Yeah for people hellbent on using a guitar/bass to trigger a hugely tweakable mono synth the C4 is going to be hard to beat. The Future Impact is really the only other pedal I know of that can compete.

18. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 We brake for nobody Supporting Member

That’s a little unfair, i use several SA pedals and have no MIDI or USB on my pedalboard. I only need to use the app if I want to do deep editing. The guys who want recallable presets/banks likely already use MIDI whether they have SA pedals or not, and if they want that functionality with the SY-1, tough luck. I’m also curious how the lack of stereo processing will hurt the SY-1.

It’s a nice upgrade from their past synth offerings, definitely not a re-housing of the SYB-5.

Wolfboy1 likes this.
  19. Beydski

Beydski Member

According to the manual you can connect a dual footswitch to access the Hold feature AND a tap tempo or pitch shift feature. That’s pretty cool. I always thought that’s how Boss should have implemented the Warp feature on the DD-6/DD-7 pedals.

monty and Help!I'maRock! like this.
  20. JosephZdyrski

JosephZdyrski Member

Interesting how they put another sy-1 in the loop....and how they worked together.

So I’m assuming that one could put something like a delay or a verb through the send and return as well. Wish they showed a Demo of how stuff like that would sound.