BOSS SY-1 Synthesizer

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 7thString, Jul 11, 2019.

1. JosephZdyrski

JosephZdyrski Member

Totally agree. I’m not planning to rush out and buy either but the at the price point of the Boss I can actually see maybe picking one up especially when they hit the used market.

The fact that as they put it in the main video... it will track at Paul Gilbert speeds is actually a huge plus and a real concern for some players.

mech likes this.
  2. PatriotBadger

PatriotBadger Member

This thing sounds surprisingly good and flexible. I'm pretty heavily invested in the 13-pin stuff at this point (and have been forever), but I have to say that this would give me a decent amount of the things I'd regularly use with some welcome simplicity. Seems like a good effort.

Michael Evrard likes this.
  3. whackystrings

whackystrings Member

At first I thought that the concentric knobs for the guitar and synth levels would be best served by a simple blend pot but then figured that Boss's design is better for lots of reasons. Blending amounts will depend on the type of "patch" I would select. Having synth pads, arpegiator and the organ sounds alone will be great.

4. lefort_1

lefort_1 Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt Gold Supporting Member

The webpage sez they have something called a TonePedia Player where you can try out different sounds.
    Perhaps they have examples of what you're looking for there?

It's referenced on this page:

https://www.boss.info/global/products/sy-1/

5. mikebat

mikebat Member

This will be a no brainer for me.

I am either going to have it in a loop on my Helix after the amp and cabs, assigned to a footswitch and sent to the main XLR output, or have the pedal running in parallel, but to a separate discreet output direct to FOH.

Michael Evrard and Kelly like this.
  6. songtalk

songtalk Member

Yeah sign me up. Gonna have to get one of these. :dunno

7. russintexas

russintexas Member

Pre-ordered. This past weekend I had been looking at a Roland GK3/GRXX setup. This should satisfy that itch.

8. Elantric

Elantric Silver Supporting Member

Mono only - no Stereo

(I grow weary of overproduced misleading demos that showcase the player and not the actual unit under review )

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    Not Orange, Wolfboy1, UliM and 5 others like this.
  9. Maltese Fan

Maltese Fan Member

Just saw these. I'm definitely going to get one.

10. Elantric

Boss Tonepedia Player -interactive platform for tone exploration
    [​IMG]
    https://www.bosscollectors.com/en/tone-pedia/
    https://www.tonepedia.com/faq
    What is TonePedia?
    TonePedia is an interactive platform for finding, testing and comparing guitars and related gear, using high quality demos recorded in a neutral environment.

Why TonePedia?
    Because the world of musical instruments is bigger than ever and still rapidly growing. While more and more products are being released to the market, us, guitar players, have less locations where we can test them, let alone compare them.

You mentioned something about “Neutral Environment”, what do you mean?
    There are many things that can influence sound. From room size and treatment to the equipment used in the recording. We have invested countless hours and resources into designing and treating recording rooms, testing and comparing recording gear, from power banks to cables, preamps and microphones, until we reached the point where the interference of our recording environment came to be as little as possible with the sound of the recorded products.

Interesting, so what gear do you use?
    A lot of gear! And different one for the different guitar types (electric, acoustic, bass). Soon we will add a page to the website with the entire chain explained. Until then, here is a list of companies you will find gear from in our studios: Antelope Audio, RME, CAL, Neumann, Shure, Earthworks, Beyerdynamic, Royer, Sennheiser, EV, Dynamount, Cordial, Furman, ADAM Audio, KRK.

But still, it’s not as playing the guitar in real time, right?
    Right, and we urge you to play instruments by yourself! That being said, using TonePedia gives you an extremely good impression of the instrument you're reviewing (we don’t say that, our users do). How? Comparison!

Comparison?
    Yes! Just as it is much easier to identify a color more precisely by reviewing it next to a similar color, it is easier to understand the characteristics of an overdrive pedal effect for example when comparing it to a second overdrive pedal effect. Our demos are made in a way that keeps all elements BUT the demoed product in exactly the same setting, so a true comparison will be possible.

But what about the guitar player, doesn’t he influence the sound?
    You are right, he does. When recording, we always listen to our guideline-instrument-recording and try to record the new instrument with the same feeling as the one with which this guideline instrument was recorded. It is also important to remember that different guitars do make the player play differently, so in order to keep things real, and since we are not computers but human beings who love playing guitar, some emotions do find their way into the demo and that is totally fine, cause it’s actually the guitar influencing us. But really, we try hard not to enjoy ourselves… (-:

Why am I hearing level differences between different instruments?
    Because
    1. Each pair of ears hear different frequencies at different volumes! In order to keep our demos neutral, but still comparable, we use a tool called LUFS Meter which is essentially a volume adjustment tool which works based on the human ear. in other words: it measures the perceived loudness and sets all demos to the same general level based on how us, humans, hear. For this levelling to work as intended, an output system with a wide frequency range is needed. This leads us to point number 2.
    2. The output system you are using - We strongly recommend using a good pair of headphones/speakers with a wide frequency range. We do not mean that you must have a pair of some seriously fancy high end units (though yey for you if you do!) using a more than the average in-ear headphones / notebook speakers is advised for a more real experience.

I compare two products and I do not hear much difference, is something wrong?
    Not necessarily, it can be that for your ears two products sound similar (especially if they are from the same manufacturer and share similar characteristics). Remember that part when we spoke about every-ear-hears-differently? Same case here, no need to visit the ear doctor just yet.

How do you choose what settings to record?
    It depends. Some are fixed settings which all demos share (like the VOX’s mid level setting on guitar demos and the gain settings on the pedal on “gain demo” playing style) while others are set based on the instrument (like the VOX’s low level setting on guitar demos which is set to deliver a clean signal of the guitar or the repeats of the delay on “delay demo” playing style). We do this so you could compare products on the one hand, while on the other experience the different characteristics of a specific product.

I have more questions, what’s now?
    Fantastic, send them over to us at support@tonepedia.com. We update the FAQ section regularly based on user questions, so don’t be shy and send us an email.

11. petty1818

petty1818 Member

Looks awesome! I will be getting one for sure. I hope there’s a nice variety of organ tones. I tried the EHX 9 series but they were either too noisy or too difficult to use live.

12. Elantric

or ( for me) too high latency

13. CrashC317

CrashC317 Member

I agree it's unfair in the context of their other pedals that don't need a phone or computer. But the C4 pretty much requires connecting it to your phone or computer. The 6 sounds and 4-ish knobs you get out of the box aren't enough to justify $249. Which means they've immediately lost most guitarists who don't want to deal with USB/MIDI/apps.

hippieboy likes this.
  14. Brockstar

Brockstar Member

If you wanna hear what sy-1 sounds like, just listen to any sy-300 video because it's the freaking same thing in a smaller format with less sounds and less tweakable lol :p

15. Daniel Krawchuk

Daniel Krawchuk Member

This is turning out to be the year of the synth pedal. So far in 2019 we've had the EHX Mono-Synths, Keeley Synth 1, C4 and Spectrum, and now this. The C4 is what I'm lusting after though. Being able to call up presets/not having to **** with knobs live and the deep editing is what I'm after. Polyphony isn't all that important to me since I'm a bassist. This does look like a quality pedal though. I do like that they've carried over the Hold feature from the SYB pedals. I used to use that all the time on my old SYB-5.

Silver Hand likes this.
  16. High Pedality

High Pedality Member

Seriously dude, relax with it. We've already heard on say the same thing on all the multiple threads and YT videos. Please go play some music or something.

17. CJReaper

CJReaper Member

Nice, this might replace the Sub N' Up I'm currently using for Organ sounds.

18. jammybastard

jammybastard "I'm losing my edge, but I was there..."

looks and sounds like a MUSE music video.
    nothing wrong with that.

chandra likes this.
  19. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 We brake for nobody Supporting Member

That price difference mainly comes from the fact that you’re buying something made by a small American company versus a large Japanese corporation.

Not Orange and Silver Hand like this.
  20. tjontheroad

tjontheroad Just Wanna Be Misunderstood Silver Supporting Member Vendor

New Jersey... YOU GOTTA PROBLEM WITH THAT?!?!
    Best thing about this to me is that they’re continuing to use the the SY tech for new products. Hopefully that’ll mean a SY-500 or whatever in the future that includes a real set of ADSR envelopes and a more friendly editing UI.