BOSS SY-1 Synthesizer

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 7thString, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Brockstar

Brockstar Member

I am actually playing guitar right now and my boss sy-300 :p and sorry, but I feel like it's personal among those who have been waiting for them to give us firmware stuff for almost 5 yrs with the sy-300.... it's like they gave us something, dropped us off at a secluded island and said have fun and we'll be back, but deep down inside you know they're not coming back lmao! And the fact that they're toying with people and acting like they're releasing something new and people getting duped into it as well etc... I was hoping for a revamped sy-300 one day, but yet this is what they did with their time. Fine, i'll go away, sorry!

Not Orange, Imerkat and Vhailor like this.
  2. Brockstar

Brockstar Member

Don't forget @empress_effects ZOIA as it's capable of awesome synth stuff too via guitar or midi controller etc.

Daniel Krawchuk likes this.
  3. CrashC317

CrashC317 Member

If you want to see the limits of the tracking.

bobco631, Michael Evrard and JesperT like this.
  4. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

Pat Metheny type action at 9:56

5. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 We brake for nobody Supporting Member

The main drawback of the SY-1 for me is that while it sounds great and gives you a ton of options without the need for an editor or app, there’s no way to get more than one sound without having to stop playing and change all the settings. No way to save a sound and recall it on the fly.
    The C4 can be set up to store 3-6 presets that can be accessed with a simple toggle switch, no MIDI or USB needed live. Apples and oranges, I guess.

Michael Evrard likes this.
  6. Jr Deluxe

Jr Deluxe Member

Youll need 2 to switch between settings. Now you might as well find a used sy300.

Not Orange, Brockstar and LSMFT6 like this.
  7. FuzzFacetious

FuzzFacetious Member

They never update my DS1 :(

8. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

[​IMG]

9. northstar6000

northstar6000 Member

Wow that tracks amazingly. I am sold. Please take my money. They are going to sell a ton of these!

10. GaryMcT

GaryMcT Gold Supporting Member

Latency is such a huge issue on the EHX stuff (for me). This should be fantastic!

11. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

12. Vhailor

Vhailor Supporting Member

If you buy a box from Fractal, or Kemper, or any of a variety of other places, you can reasonably expect to get some post-purchase firmware updates with a few new capabilities, and some bug fixes, to help you make better use of your box's pre-purchase capabilities.

Not only does Roland / Boss not give you new post-purchase capabilities (except only very rarely) but they don't even seem too concerned about fixing bugs.

13. Jr Deluxe

Jr Deluxe Member

Im not as fast as say steve vai but i dont have a problem with latency or tracking on the synth9. The synth9s problem is it losing tracking on bends or even a wide vibrato with some patches. And it needs a gate for some patches. And no presets like the sy1. But its still pretty cool. Its not either/or for me its give me all.

Not Orange and Vhailor like this.
  14. 4b454e

4b454e Member

That's been true historically, but dramatically better for more recent products.

roachone likes this.
  15. Vhailor

If you could give me some examples, I'd be interested to know.

And I'm not trying to be snarky here, I promise: Roland / Boss's unconcern for products, once they're shipped, is something that I have always found to be very disturbing.

So if you could, without too much trouble and without needing to find and paste supporting links please, give me some very basic idea, I like to know.

: )

RiverDog and Brockstar like this.
  16. monty

monty Member

And the DS1X.

Help!I'maRock! and Silver Hand like this.
  17. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

The SY-300 tracks perfectly on bends and fast passages. It only starts to glitch out once you start to push the polyphony.

From the videos, it looks like the SY-1 is an improvement in that respect.

18. tobereleased

tobereleased Member

I really like the look of this. It won't replace my SY-300, as what personally attracted me to it was the level of control over the synth sounds, but I can definitely see the market for a good set of curated synth sounds with a (much) simpler UI. I think this is going to be a great pedal for a lot of people, and who knows, maybe I'll pick one up to run in the loop of my SY-300. ;)

Brockstar likes this.
  19. 4b454e

4b454e Member

:beer
    The Katana amps have gotten updates - I'm not sure whether it's just bug fixes or more features, since I don't own one.
    The GT-100 got a significant firmware update - but yes that was about it, there.
    The GT-1000 has gotten several updates since release, both in terms of bug fixes and new features/effects.

I'd love to see Boss code this into a GT-1000 update, but I think there are a few reasons that won't happen :dunno

I'm not going to argue that the frequency is on par with Helix, et al - much less their support (Line6 has clearly earned a legendary reputation for service!)
    I'm only pointing out that they've been listening and responding much more than they used to.

Vhailor likes this.
  20. Vhailor

Thank you for taking the time to post that!

(Here's what concerns me lately in this regard; it doesn't really properly belong in this thread but I'm gonna put it here anyway: the MD-500 Filter engine does not really work correctly, as per Tri Pedal Review's YouTube review, linked below, relevant section starting at 8.15. The MD-200 will, apparently, include the Filter engine. Tri Pedal Reviews is a pretty level-headed guy but, if I remember correctly, his final evaluation of the Filter mode was "kill it with fire". Will Roland fix it before they throw it into the MD-200? Or not? And if they do fix it for the MD-200, will they thereupon backport that fix into the MD-500? It is for Roland, and only for Roland, that this would even be a question at all. Note that if Roland has already fixed this bug then this whole section is mistaken and so completely irrelevant. )

: )

Not Orange, monty, Brockstar and 2 others like this.