BOSS SY-1 Synthesizer

Frosted Glass

Not only does Roland / Boss not give you new post-purchase capabilities (except only very rarely) but they don't even seem too concerned about fixing bugs.
There was also the “bug” with the RC-3 where the loops weren’t seamless that got fixed pretty quick.

HesNot

There have been a handful of updates to the DD500 and MD500 pedals....

Anyway - this is interesting. I almost pulled the trigger on an SY300 used about a year ago but even used the size/cost and utility seemed like overkill for my applications.

FuzzFacetious

If you could give me some examples, I'd be interested to know.

And I'm not trying to be snarky here, I promise: Roland / Boss's unconcern for products, once they're shipped, is something that I have always found to be very disturbing.

So if you could, without too much trouble and without needing to find and paste supporting links please, give me some very basic idea, I like to know.

: )
:beer
The Katana amps have gotten updates - I'm not sure whether it's just bug fixes or more features, since I don't own one.
The GT-100 got a significant firmware update - but yes that was about it, there.
The GT-1000 has gotten several updates since release, both in terms of bug fixes and new features/effects.

I'd love to see Boss code this into a GT-1000 update, but I think there are a few reasons that won't happen :dunno

I'm not going to argue that the frequency is on par with Helix, et al - much less their support (Line6 has clearly earned a legendary reputation for service!)
I'm only pointing out that they've been listening and responding much more than they used to.
The Katanas got several huge updates, the main one for me was doubling the amount of patches / save states you could have.

The GT-1000 has had two huge and many smaller updates over the last year, one of which added the capacity to turn it into a (and, imo THE BEST) bass flagship modeller.
I love all the additions Boss have added and look forward to their future updates.

Sure, L6 are top of the update game, but both Boss and the company behind Headrush have proven themselves recently.

FuzzFacetious

1. Purchase DS-2 upgrade module from authorized Boss dealer
  2. Unplug the power adaptor from the DS-1
  3. Gently remove the DS-1 from your pedal board
  4. Unpack the DS-2 upgrade module
  5. Connect the power adaptor to the DS-2 upgrade module
  6. Attach the DS-2 upgrade module to your pedal board
  7. List the DS-1 on Reverb
As long as I don't risk bricking the DS1, I'll give it a go tonight. Thanks!

4b454e

Gold Supporting Member
Thank you for taking the time to post that!

(Here's what concerns me lately in this regard; it doesn't really properly belong in this thread but I'm gonna put it here anyway: the MD-500 Filter engine does not really work correctly, as per Tri Pedal Review's YouTube review, linked below, relevant section starting at 8.15. The MD-200 will, apparently, include the Filter engine. Tri Pedal Reviews is a pretty level-headed guy but, if I remember correctly, his final evaluation of the Filter mode was "kill it with fire". Will Roland fix it before they throw it into the MD-200? Or not? And if they do fix it for the MD-200, will they thereupon backport that fix into the MD-500? It is for Roland, and only for Roland, that this would even be a question at all. Note that if Roland has already fixed this bug then this whole section is mistaken and so completely irrelevant. )

: )
I wasn’t even thing about the 500 series! (Obvious that I don’t have one, I guess. haha!)

Yep, they’ve got a way to go changing their ways, much less the reputation they’ve earned.

The Vguitar forum (paging @Elantric ) has been instrumental getting wish list items realized for the Gt-1000. At a glance it doesn’t look like the 500 series are addressed there. There’s an SY area but, based on what I’ve seen here, it doesn’t look like the SY has seen upgrades/updates. Bad old Boss.

Elantric

Silver Supporting Member
I wasn’t even thing about the 500 series! (Obvious that I don’t have one, I guess. haha!)

Yep, they’ve got a way to go changing their ways, much less the reputation they’ve earned.

The Vguitar forum (paging @Elantric ) has been instrumental getting wish list items realized for the Gt-1000. At a glance it doesn’t look like the 500 series are addressed there. There’s an SY area but, based on what I’ve seen here, it doesn’t look like the SY has seen upgrades/updates. Bad old Boss.
all are represented at Vguitarforum use search
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=189.0

Boss SY-300 F.A.Q

SY-300 SYSTEM PROGRAM VERSION 1.03 FIRMWARE

But these days you have a better time logging in with your Roland Backstage account, registering your Roland/Boss product and make a New Feature request direct to Roland

If two dozen Roland/Boss users make the same request, it gets their attention better than my efforts

But IMHO i do not expect any new firmware for SY-300 in 2019, 2020, or 2021

Last edited:

Quartermass

Wow....cool pedal. As a synthesizer owner the idea of a "guitar synth pedal" has always seemed redundant to me. This pedal (with it's external effects loop AND external pedal jack) definitely has my interest. Lot's of potential for sound design and creation. Presets have never really been that important to me....so not a worry. Well done, Boss. Cheers.

See3po

If you wanna hear what sy-1 sounds like, just listen to any sy-300 video because it's the freaking same thing in a smaller format with less sounds and less tweakable lol :p
Is that really true? It looks like some of the algorithms are the same, but the tracking seems a lot better on the sy-1.

Brockstar

Is that really true? It looks like some of the algorithms are the same, but the tracking seems a lot better on the sy-1.
Out of all the demos I've seen/heard today I haven not heard anything new and I've never had a tracking problem with my sy-300?

Vhailor

Supporting Member

Judging the tracking of a Roland / Boss product by official promotional videos is... risky.

I recall people complaining about the guitar-to-midi conversion on the VG-99; I'm not sure that anyone found it satisfactory - but maybe some people did; that was a long time ago! But I recall a lot of complaints, to which Roland replied that they essentially assaulted the guitar-to-midi converter with everything that they could throw at it and that it passed with flying colors.

But I'm not sure that many actual paying customers felt the same way.

squishcat

This seems to be a pretty amazing pedal for its size and price point with both exp & loop capacity and a massive amount of sound possibility. Plus, it will be here for the next guy after we leave the realm. It's probably going to outlast most of us being a BOSS, and all.

King Crimson meets John Carpenter in a small pedal format sounds pretty killer to me.