BOSS SY-1 Synthesizer

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 7thString, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Vhailor

Vhailor Supporting Member

Bill Ruppert used to do demos for Roland / Boss, but I'm not sure if they were "official" videos or not. I'd love to get copies of his VG-99 demos because I didn't actually download them when I saw them and now they are nowhere to be found. : (

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    wornoutjunkie likes this.
  2. Road King

Road King Member

3. Nevil Bamshoot

Nevil Bamshoot Member

yeah I got to play with an SY-300 shortly after they came out for about 15 minutes or so...and I can still remember how awesome it was! I don't see myself being able to hold out more than a couple months before I'm buying one of these...

4. See3po

See3po Member

I would have thought most people would find the Boss better sounding that the EHX-9 pedals. I’d like Boss to make something like the Mel-9 with more realistic strings, cello and brass next.

hippieboy likes this.
  5. hippietim

hippietim Member

I've owned every EHX 9 pedal and couldn't disagree more. The SY-300 (and from what it looks like the SY-1) doesn't do some of the sounds that the EHX 9 series does. But that goes both ways - there's plenty you can do with the SY that you can't get from the EHX 9 stuff. In terms of straight up synth stuff, the EHX Synth9 is a joke compared to the SY-300 (and likely the SY-1 from the demos so far). The C9/B9/Key9 are pretty good but there is a sameness to all of the settings after a while and you can get very respectable organ sounds from the SY. The only EHX I ended up keeping is the Key 9 - the SY can't do the Rhodes type of attack like the Key9.

6. coldwaternights

coldwaternights Member

god that video is horrendous.
    does Boss not know it's not 1987 anymore?

Madsen, Imerkat, Brockstar and 2 others like this.
  7. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

Reported.

:mmm :bong

:D:p

Vhailor and vashuba like this.
  8. p.j.

p.j. Member

The size and the price make it a lot more likely to be purchased than the SY-300. I can see why you would not be impressed if already a SY-300 owner but for the average player I think this looks like it has potential.

Cool Hand Luke and Vhailor like this.
  9. BlackT-Shirt

BlackT-Shirt Member

I could have done without the crazy, dramatic lighting and it would be great to hear the effect without the distraction of the backing track(s).

Is CV an input for an expression pedal?

Overall this looks like a better choice than either of the EHX synth pedals. I had my sights on the monosynth (which is cheaper), but now this...

10. Riffa

Riffa Member

How is this different from the Dirty Robot (Digitech)? I love Boss compact units but since I've already got the DR, I don't know if 'need' the SY-1.

11. mikebat

mikebat Member

pre-ordered one from Musique Max Montreal.

Super hyped about this

12. FPFL

FPFL Member

Love McRocklin’s playing in the demo.

13. Timtam

Timtam Member

Neat technological achievement. And fun to play with for an hour or two I expect. But I don't hear many sounds that I'd pay to listen to. A lot of it sounds like Rick Wakeman or some other horrible prog rock in a box ... bleech.

If someone figures out how to make interesting sounds with it that Eno et al. haven't done before then ... maybe.

korgi likes this.
  14. Jr Deluxe

Jr Deluxe Member

Andertons has a availability date of sept 30. Thats like 10 weeks . Thats like 70 weeks in dog years. Thats like forever weeks in guitar player years.

15. gigsup

gigsup Supporting Member

Batman camera angles, 'retro' drum machine tracks, headless guitar, DMX LED light bars.
    Porsche? Leather jacket? Sunglasses? Check, check, check.
    2 octave swept arpeggios? You got it buddy!
    Women dancing in leather with swords? MISSING! ...get Quentin on the phone.

Showing up to a jam with a SY-1.
    Thoughts and prayers.

Cool Hand Luke, Not Orange and UliM like this.
  16. olejason

olejason Supporting Member

That style is huge right now. You'll hear synthwave influence all over pop songs leading the charts. 80's and early 90's throwback stuff is probably the hottest "thing" in pop culture right now.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  17. Jr Deluxe

Jr Deluxe Member

Id like to see a comparison video of Rocklin with his highly produced sweep arpegio synth video then TGP average joe plugging in the the sy1 at home making robot fart noises.

18. Brockstar

Brockstar Member

I can guarantee that the sy-1 was most likely turned down in the mix along with a original guitar wet track mixed in, because that is exactly what it sounded like. More false advertising by BOSS... Yes it tracks well I'm sure, just like the boss sy-300... but do that with original 100% sy-1 signal and it would be a different story. And who is Mcrocking or whatever? Never even heard of him?

Samarasa likes this.
  19. olejason

olejason Supporting Member

If your playing is clean enough it will track. The SY-1 is very clearly in the mix.

Vhailor likes this.
  20. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

I agree. I seriously put my original Marshall Blues Breaker up for sale just last night to buy this pedal in August!

(yea I know...trading in a classic pedal for a new thing) But it's like $300...the price of my Blues Breaker. I also want the synth!

Go Boss!! (gotta find space on my board now somehow)

monty likes this.