Boss SY-200

chonger

Thanks for your explanations in this thread! It really helps. I'm just exploring the MIDI functionality on the sy200 with my MC8.
Do you know what EXP CC and EFFECT CC is for? I assume with EFFECT CC I can turn on/off the effect loop. I'm not using the effect loop at the moment, but maybe some time later.
I haven't tried it but EXP CC is likely the CC# you would use for MIDI expression control.

chonger

100% agreed. I'm fine with making quick adjustments on the device, but I wish I could set up my initial tones on a computer or phone. It's especially obvious since it sits right next to my HX Stomp on my pedalboard, which has one of the best PC editors ever.
Totally agree about the HX Stomp PC editor. It really is the gold standard for PC editors IMO. I wish other companies paid as much attention to their editors as Line 6 does (looking at you Boss).

chonger

I'm enjoying the pedal and the rc-600 as well. What I find most frustrating is that there isn't a pc settings app. Boss stuff would work so much better (at least for me) if one could set it up, copy and past patches, rename patches, update etc... on the Pc with a single app, instead of with a twisty nob and janky gameboy screen from the 90's. Boss is too stubborn or cheap to step into the 2020's. The frustration with the menu system is a real turn off.
100% this. It's hard to beat Boss when it comes when it comes to the actual tone you get out of their pedals. Sadly, they fall short in literally everything else you would expect from a modern pedal company (documentation, support, UX of their pedals AND their nonexistent editors). I really hope they can evolve in these areas.

tonefinder

I found a nice pad preset on the SY-200 (#43, IIRC). It swells, but then fades when the guitar string's sustain ends.

Plucking the string again doesn't work to sustain the original note, as the swell is initiated again.

What's an honest-hearted man to do- employ an ebow?

Sorry for the simpleton question, I've barely started with the pedal.

Phil_Mayger

Silver Supporting Member
I found a nice pad preset on the SY-200 (#43, IIRC). It swells, but then fades when the guitar string's sustain ends.

Plucking the string again doesn't work to sustain the original note, as the swell is initiated again.

What's an honest-hearted man to do- employ an ebow?

Sorry for the simpleton question, I've barely started with the pedal.
There’s a “hold” function. Assign it to the CTL switch and when pressed, it holds the “original” while you play over the top

Trick Fall

Does anyone know if there's a way to access only the effect you have in the loop? I currently have an Eventide Ultratap in the loop of the SY-200 and I'd occasionally like to be able to access the Ultratap without having a synth sound.

Phil_Mayger

Silver Supporting Member
Does anyone know if there's a way to access only the effect you have in the loop? I currently have an Eventide Ultratap in the loop of the SY-200 and I'd occasionally like to be able to access the Ultratap without having a synth sound.
I’ve tried and this seems to be impossible

Clark GriswoId

Looks Great. Little Full, Lotta Sap.
Silver Supporting Member

Make a preset where the SY effect is set to MIN and the dry is all the way up?

marcicasa

Hi. Just received my sy-200. I have a question about the hold function: is there a way to set a fade-out time so that the sound won't stop immediately as you deactivate the function? In the menu I read some parameters below the Hold, but they are frozen (in the tempo for instance, you can set the numerical value). I have a 1.01 version. Thanks

Fireheart7

Hi. Just received my sy-200. I have a question about the hold function: is there a way to set a fade-out time so that the sound won't stop immediately as you deactivate the function? In the menu I read some parameters below the Hold, but they are frozen (in the tempo for instance, you can set the numerical value). I have a 1.01 version. Thanks
Hmm, I'll have to check. But do you have a reverb after the SY in the chain? Or a reverb you could place in the SY loop?

marcicasa

Hmm, I'll have to check. But do you have a reverb after the SY in the chain? Or a reverb you could place in the SY loop?
Surely could be a solution, i have some reverbs but not in the proper position on the board.... but it's annoying to hook up another reverb pedal to do a thing that probably boss techs would add in a couples of hours of software editing... I have a Infinite tc electronics pedal and the fade-out (settable time) tail is an essential feature...If the sy-200 could do that, i would plan to get rid of the infinite and have room for another effect.

tonefinder

Question about the HOLD function:

You can hold an effected note and "play over it," albeit with an uneffected sound.

But, is it possible to have a similarly effected sound for your playover? I'm hoping to get two instances of the same SY200 sound, one via HOLD and one for the play-over.

evanderbelt

Silver Supporting Member
I've watched a few videos but this pedal seems so deep that they only graze the surface of each mode. Can the arpeggio section do things like the Juno 60, if anyone is familiar with both? Hoping to replicate a part recorded on a Juno, live with a pedal.

monkeybrains

I just spent a few hours with Boss's awful documentation and MIDI implementation for the SY-200 figuring out how to use the hold function with MIDI so I thought I would post here to save some other people some time and headaches.

Out of the box, the CC#s assigned to the three controls of the SY-200 are:
CC#82 = CTL 1 (Right footswitch)
CC#80 = CTL 2 (External footswitch)
CC#81 = CTL 3 (External footswitch)

These are default values and configurable to be whatever CC# you want. In addition to letting you configure the CC#s for the controls, the SY-200 also lets you configure what happens for each of those controls. You can see the full list of these control options on page 11 of the SY-200 manual. CTL-1 (the right footswitch) is unique in that you can configure what happens when you tap the switch vs hold down the switch and these options are documented in the bottom right of page 11.

To use MIDI to control CTL-1 purely for hold, go to MENU -> CTL FUNCTION, set the CTL-1 FUNCTION to S.HOLD and set the SW MODE to TOGGLE on the SY-200.

I did some testing and found out that it actually takes two CC messages to CC#82 to engage hold and two of the same messages to release hold. So:
Send 0 to CC#82 AND 127 to CC#82 to engage hold
Send 0 to CC#82 AND 127 to CC#82 AGAIN to release hold

Edit: Further testing has revealed that SW MODE should be set to MOMENT on the SY-200. Doing this lets you send single messages to engage and release hold on CTL-1. So 127 to CC#82 to engage hold and 0 to CC#82 to release.

I have a Morningstar MC6 and I've configured one of the switches to send 127 to CC#82 when I press it down and send 0 when I release it. This effectively lets me use the MC6 as a remote momentary switch for the SY-200.

I hope this saves someone some time and frustration.
Cheers- this helped me achieve the momentary ctrl1 function via midi. :)

Top Bottom