Boss Tremelo mods

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JPenn, Mar 2, 2006.

1. JPenn

JPenn Member

Has anybody tried the mod folks talk about on the Harmony Central Boss Tremelo reviews? Something about just clipping off a big silver thing in the middle, C4. I'd hate to kill the pedal!!:jo

I just got this in today and think it sounds good. I'd just like to NOT lose all the lowend and nuts when this pedal is on.

I can't seem to find a middle ground on trems. I've got a Marshall trem that has too much boost and this Boss cuts volume:confused:

2. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

I don't know about any c4 thingy, but I had my Boss Trem modded by analogman, and it rivals the trem in my '64 Deluxe... spend the money.

3. JPenn

JPenn Member

Just so folks know it does work. I decided to try it. I couldn't use it the way it was, and if I messed it up one of the mod guys could've fixed. Either way it was going to cost money.

Clipping the C4 cap didn't solve all of the volume issues with the TR-2, but it's close enough to the bypassed signal that I don't have to send it off to be modded. Now there's more lowend like my straight tone.

4. nek

nek Member

Removing the C4 cap makes a big difference. I'm not convinced the R9 mod is the right way to improve the volume issues. But it does need something. Still thinking about that one.

5. astainback

astainback Member

Anyone else tried this mod?

6. JPenn

JPenn Member

The only thing I did was just clip the C4 and it fixed my issues with the pedal. It's not perfect, but it's close enough for me.

7. vintage saddles

vintage saddles Supporting Member

Tremolo is my favorite effect, one that I use sparingly. And I may be in the minority when saying I liked the Boss pedal fine in its stock form.

Nevertheless, I performed the C4 mod with great success. The hardest part was getting the screws out. The result was a more open sound with, as reported, less of a volume drop.

Anyone know why C4 was put in place to begin with?

8. plowkraut

plowkraut Member

I cut out the C4 as well. I have no modding or electronics experience, just didn't like how my tone and volume disappeared when playing gigs or at high volume rehearsals. It seemed to add some high end and maybe a bit more volume. The trem seems to chop a hair harder as well at it's maximum settings. Of course everyone's ears are different. I like the tr-2 better without the C4.

9. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    I sent one of my TR-2's out to Keeley for high mod and I can tell you it is onme of my favorite trems. I like it equal to my Fulltone SupaTrem.

TheGrooveking