1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Boss TU-2 for power?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by davedent, Feb 19, 2009.

1. davedent

davedent Member

Anybody using their Boss Tu-2 as a power source for the pedalboard with a daisy-chain? Any issues? Popping, hum, etc.?

Thanks,
    David

2. Brettski

Brettski Member

I used it for a while on a home made pedal board and it seemed to be okay. The only problem I had was the little daisy chain connector cable. I had a hard time getting it to reach all my pedals.

3. shawnshack

shawnshack Supporting Member

I use a one-spot. I have no problem. I don't know if you mean like that, or daisy chaining between the pedals using both plugs on the pedal. In that case, I have a friend who does that, he doesn't have problems that I know of.

4. Top Geezer

Top Geezer Member

That's how I use it to power 3 other pedals on my board - works great - never had a problem.

5. TheFlash

TheFlash Member

I used to power a few pedals from my tu-2, but be aware that you only have 200 ma total available including the tu-2.

6. Loop-Master

Loop-Master Member

7. 205

205 Senior Member

Yes I do.
    Daisy chain from the Tu-2 to my KOT and Delay.
    All I need to do is plug the power supply into the tuner, nice and easy!

8. 205

205 Senior Member

Wouldn't that depend on how many milliamps your wall wart is??

I'm no expert just curious...

9. Structo

Structo Member

Heheh, I was setting up my pedal board one day and finally got around to putting my Strobostomp 2 on the board.

I use a One Spot on this one with the daisy chain cable.
    I hooked everything up and played it for a while.
    I run the One Spot and amp(s) of of a power conditioner to make it an easy one switch power on for everything.
    I turned off the power conditioner and a few of my pedals still had the little led's lit up!
    Then I realized that I still had a battery in the Strobostomp!
    It was trying to power every thing on the daisy chain!

10. chasacourt

chasacourt Member

I just took a look at my set up.
    My Boss PSA adapter (which looks like a One Spot, if I'm not mistaken) has 250 milli-amp.
    Right now I have a Diamond J drive, Boss TR-2, and Boss RV-5 daisy chained to my TU-2 and seems to run fine. I just tried including my Nova Delay as a 4th pedal daisy chained in for a total of 5 pedals...Everything seems to operate fine...
    Am I pushing it here? Would like some advice. How do I know if I'm over-doing it?
    Do I add up the mA of all the pedals? Please help!

11. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

yes, you add the mA requirements up of all the pedals (including the tu-2). the total needs to be less than what the power supply can put out.

remember, the tu-2 isn't "powering" anything. it's just got a convenient extra jack for daisy-chaining other pedals to whatever is powering everything.

12. chasacourt

chasacourt Member

Okay...big help. Thanks!

13. bcc5025

bcc5025 Member

I daisy chain with my TU-2 and it's never failed me. Havn't used more than 5 or 6 pedals though.

14. donkers

donkers Member

correct, boss told me the tu-2 eats 55mA so you're down to 145mA. also keep in mind pedals draw less current when in bypass mode.

15. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

Most has already been said, but here's my take: I usually recommend against using the power out jack, as I have gotten too many reports of it being more noisy than using a regular daisy chain cable and treating the TU-2 as any other pedal.

Also, Boss only guarantees the function of the power in/out jacks for up to 200mA. This is most likely because the connection between the two jacks is made via a small circuit board, and the thin copper traces may overheat and lift from the board if too much current is drawn through them. So if the chain of pedals being powered (including the TU-2 itself) draws more than 200mA, you should not use the power out jack to provide power to the other pedals. You can use a more powerful adapter than the 200mA Boss PSA (like the 1spot, which is 1700mA), but you still can't go above 200mA if you want to run the power through the TU-2.

The new Boss PSA-120S - smaller/lighter body (more like a 1spot) and a bulge on the cable - has 500mA on tap, so time will tell if Boss changes their recommendation about the TU-2 power out jack, or redesigns it with beefier connections. For now, though 200mA is max what you'd want to run through there.

/Andreas

16. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

The TU-2 is one of the few pedals that has a significantly different current draw depending on what it does - in bypass, it's 6mA, and when tuning it's 35mA. I'm not sure wether the "strobe" mode uses more than that (as the TU-2 measurements were sent to me by someone else). Most other pedals - especially the more complicated ones like Boss/Ibanez etc - will use more or less the same amount of current wether they are active or bypassed.

/Andreas