Boss TU-2: Tone suck or no?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by frankencat, Feb 12, 2008.

1. frankencat

frankencat Lex Luthier Gold Supporting Member

I see it at the beginning of lots of people's chains and it has never worked for me in that position. Is really a tone sucker?

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

why hasn't it worked? it's not a tone "sucker" as much as a tone "driver", outputting a very strong buffered signal that is usually then immune to losses.

some pedals don't like buffered signals (fuzzes, for example). is that what's happening?

3. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

my fuzz didn't like buffered pedals at ALL. . .

. . . so I went with a RAT instead. . .

MY TU2 don't suck no tone to my ears. . . but I'll know in a month for sure when I get my loopmaster jobbie. . . which I got for my DANO trem. . excellent trem. . .EXCELLENT. . . but definitely lopped off some high end to my ears when it was in the chain

4. stuey222

stuey222 Member

I put mine at the end to drive the signal to the amp

5. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

My guitar > amp sounds better than my guitar > tu-2 > amp but it's nothing that can't be fixed with a little EQ/presence adjusting.

6. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    It's a well known tone sucker on previous rigs I've had plus other guitarists I've played with. Having to EQ to compensate for it is a joke. That's not what EQing is for. Get a tuner that doesn't tone suck and use EQ to improve your tone. The Planet Waves & Strobosstomp are good :dude

7. MudPies

MudPies Member

I run my tu2 between my OD and my phaser/delay. works like a charm.

8. Joses

Joses Member

i honestly didn't feel it was much tone suck at all when i ran it first in line. however, now i run it out of the chain totally (volume pedal's tuner out)...which one could always do to solve the problem

9. big brekfest

big brekfest Guest

i never really noticed it to be a "tone suck" but i did notice that it's a crappy tuner. the TurboTuner is awesome, and it's a much better purchase.

10. rdba

rdba Member

you guys have good ears...i can't hear any tone sucking...

11. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

Well... it can definitely change the tone a bit - the signal from the guitar pickups is quite sensitive to what you're feeding it into, and just like any active circuit placed at the start of the chain, the TU-2 will slightly change the way the guitar sounds. Some people like this change, while others despise it. Yet others don't notice the change at all. Every rig is different, as are every pair of ears. If it didn't work for you, it doesn't matter if someone else don't understand why :D

The "tuner out" jack does not place the tuner of the chain - it is still very much a part of the chain. This may well make the problem worse, by introducing a different type of tone sucking.

You'll find a longer article about it here, but the main points are:

A wah pedal, MXR or older Electro-Harmonix has the worst type of bypass - the kind where the circuit is permanently connected to the input jack ("hardwired", as Dunlop calls it). This type of bypass can steal treble and presence (especially when it's the first thing the guitar pickups "sees"), because the circuit input ends up in parallel to the circuit input in the next pedal.

Now, the "tuner out" is wired in parallel with the volume pedal's input jack. This effectively turns the volume pedal/tuner combo into one of the above mentioned pedals... If you have the volume pedal first in line, this can steal quite a bit of treble and presence. If you place a buffered (Boss/Ibanez type) pedal in front of the volume pedal, the problem is diminished. But then you have the (possible) tone change from the buffer stage to worry about... :D

If you want to remove the tuner from the chain when it's not in use, get an A/B box.

/Andreas

12. dancehall

dancehall Member

I did blind testing by putting it in a TB loop. Didn't change the sound at all to my ears.

13. MudPies

MudPies Member

I know a lot of folks who would disagree with you there.

14. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

my tuner is after all my od...my baber trifecta (fuzz) did not like the tu-2 before it...

I had to put my boss octave after my trifecta because it did not like a buffered pedal before it...

15. 205

205 Senior Member

I put mine at the end of my chain, no tone sucking.
    It definately affects tone at the beginning.

16. DanD

DanD Member

I used mine at the end of an all by-pass chain and it sucked tone IMO.
    I put in a simple a/b box to keep the tuner out of the chain when feeding the amp. No tone suck now.

Good luck,
    DanD

17. frankencat

frankencat Lex Luthier Gold Supporting Member

Thanks guys. I didn't really notice it until I a/b'd at the front of the chain. It definitely loses bass/fullness and adds some harshness to the sound. I have it at the end of the chain with my other Boss pedals now and it seems to be better there.

18. POD Buster

POD Buster Member

Confucius say...."Better to be in tune than not have tone suck." :p

19. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

so what does one do if they have a buffered boss pedal that HAS to go at the beginning of a chain, like a compressor or fuzz???

20. fendergeek

fendergeek Member