• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Boss TU-2 vs. Sonic Research TurboTuner

scmavl

Enjoyer
Gold Supporting Member
First of all, I know the TT is a better tuner. However, I'm looking for practicality in live situations. My main gripes with the Boss are:

-The 5 seconds it takes to actually turn on after you hit it
-The accuracy (or lack thereof)

I do like the easy to read display though, which is what I want to know about the TT. Is it as easy to quickly tune as the Boss is, coming from someone who has never used a strobe tuner? Ease of use & quick tuning are the most important factors to me. Thanks guys!

Ben C.

The TT does not have either of the issues you mentioned above, so, that'll be a plus for you. Instant readout when you switch it on, instant tracking, and it's accuracy and immediate readout allows me to tune super-fast.

Additionally, they both use LEDs, so if the Boss is 'easy to read', the TT will be as well. With the Boss you're used to "right = sharp, left = flat", ya? With the TT it will be "spinning right = sharp, spinning left = flat". So that's really not a mental hurdle.

I think the transition should be positive and painless.

-Ben

blackba

Gold Supporting Member
Your TU-2 takes 5seconds to turn off. I don't remember the TU-2 I had doing that at all, it turned off pretty much instantly.

I don't have a TT, but I do have a strobostomp2 and a Korg DT-10. I use the Korg live and the SS2 at home. I find the DT-10 a little easier and quicker to use.

RobertKeeley

Platinum Supporting Member
My two cents, the Peterson Strobo Tuner (stomp box style) is just a fantastic unit. I find it hard to make a case against it. One thing Peterson could do as Ben C. mention is give a display option/toggle to give you the 'left-flat, right-sharp' type of display. I am sure they could do it in a way that gave both a great degree of accuracy and had the appearance of being a basic tuner.
rk

scmavl

Enjoyer
Gold Supporting Member
Your TU-2 takes 5seconds to turn off. I don't remember the TU-2 I had doing that at all, it turned off pretty much instantly.
Not to turn off, but to turn on. When I hit the pedal, the red light comes on & it mutes immediately, but it takes about 5 seconds before you can start tuning. I know I'm not alone as I've heard other users complain about it. It turns off flawlessly.

scmavl

Enjoyer
Gold Supporting Member
My two cents, the Peterson Strobo Tuner (stomp box style) is just a fantastic unit. I find it hard to make a case against it. One thing Peterson could do as Ben C. mention is give a display option/toggle to give you the 'left-flat, right-sharp' type of display. I am sure they could do it in a way that gave both a great degree of accuracy and had the appearance of being a basic tuner.
rk
Thanks Robert, as you're someone whose opinion I'd trust. Can you see the StroboStomp on a dark stage? In the pics I've seen, it didn't look backlit.

Ben C.

Thanks Robert, as you're someone whose opinion I'd trust. Can you see the StroboStomp on a dark stage? In the pics I've seen, it didn't look backlit.
Oh yes, it is backlit for sure!! Very bright screen on that - no problems seeing it whatsoever.

My two cents, the Peterson Strobo Tuner (stomp box style) is just a fantastic unit. I find it hard to make a case against it.
The StroboStomp (and before that the VS-II) did open up my mind and ears to what accurate tuning can do for sure. So I owe a debt to Peterson! As for a case "against" the StroboStomp... I think most in the TT vs. SS debate would agree that it's not so much a case against the SS as it is a case for the TT.

Video time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bY9H7ec6_0

-Ben

Last edited:

CWFurst

I've got both. I use the TU-2 live and the ST-200 for recording. Mainly because I can beat the snot out of a TU-2 and it's going to keep working. The soft screen on the ST-200 concerns me should it be handeled by stage hands and techs. If there was a way to put a harder cover over the screen then I'd probably use it all the time. I have to be honest and say that part of me really just likes the TU-2.

Ben C.

I've got both. I use the TU-2 live and the ST-200 for recording. Mainly because I can beat the snot out of a TU-2 and it's going to keep working. The soft screen on the ST-200 concerns me should it be handeled by stage hands and techs. If there was a way to put a harder cover over the screen then I'd probably use it all the time. I have to be honest and say that part of me really just likes the TU-2.
Soft screen on the ST-200?

The Peterson StroboStomp 1 and 2 have a 'soft' cover over their screen... hard but somewhat flexible.
The Turbo Tuner ST-200 has a small piece of what seems like tempered glass or thick plexi (not soft, not flexible).

-Ben

charmboy

Korg PitchBlack should be mentioned here... It's cheaper than the TU-2, much faster, more accurate and built very tough with the best readout I've ever seen on a tuner. Maybe not quite as revered as the Turbo, but it gladly replaced my StroboStomp which was acting irradically.

ben_allison

The TT is great. You can intonnate with it as well as any table-top strobe.

It responds immediately.

I'm a fan of the display, and general aesthetic of the pedal too. It's built as solidly as anything, and you can store custom temperaments, if you want.

It's kick ass.

Some people complain that the led's are hard to read in sunlight, but this is irrelevant as rock is meant to be played at night.

:dude

hbentley

there's something wrong with your tu-2... that's not normal. i've had several of them through the years and never had this problem. i would like to try the turbo tuner at some point though.

Not to turn off, but to turn on. When I hit the pedal, the red light comes on & it mutes immediately, but it takes about 5 seconds before you can start tuning. I know I'm not alone as I've heard other users complain about it. It turns off flawlessly.

chuenx

the TU-2 can act as a buffer when place first on the signal chain~
which TT is not able to do so~

TenneyThe2nd

Silver Supporting Member
I have one question that is a bit off topic, but not too far, and I've been waiting for a good thread to ask it in...

I've seen what seems to be three TU2s on Mayer's board, and I'm wondering if he is every using two at the same time. In other words, Does he go out the Bypass (which is more of a non-bypass) out on the first TU2 and the use the muted out for the second tu2? It would make sense that this would make it more accurate. Perhaps he has them on stream mode, but stream mode sometimes doesn't track quickly on he TU2, so maybe 2 TU2s is the way to go?

Also, if you are using a TU2 and are thinking of switching to the Turbo Tuner or Strobo Stomp, use the TU2 in stream mode for a while to get used to it. It feels similar to these other tuners.

TenneyThe2nd

Silver Supporting Member
the TU-2 can act as a buffer when place first on the signal chain~
which TT is not able to do so~
Oh, and you DEFINITELY don't want to use the TU2 as your first buffer! It's fine AFTER another buffer, but it's a major tone sucker when it's trying to buffer the weak loaded signal at the beginning of your chain.

I put mine after my TC Nova Delay, and my signal seems unaffected... if it's the first buffer, it sounds like poop...

okay, not really poop, but certainly more crappy than it did before.

Especially using a strat with weaker pups and janglier highs.

fr8_trane

Silver Supporting Member
if you don't intonate your guitars yourself then the TT may be overkill for stage use. I prefer it to my TU-2 in every way but its not NECESSARY for the stage.

IMO the Pitch black is an improvement over the TU-2 in accuracy, speed of tuning (less wavering), size (smaller) and price. Its also TB if that is important to you.

Jemlite

Originally Posted by scmavl
there's something wrong with your tu-2... that's not normal. i've had several of them through the years and never had this problem. i would like to try the turbo tuner at some point though.
I know what he's talking about. Mine did the same thing and drove me nuts...

Trending Topics