Boss TU-3 Tuner and CryBaby GCB-95... which first?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Sam Xavier, May 23, 2020.

1. Sam Xavier

Sam Xavier Member

Working on my pedalboard build, so I'm playing pedal tetris. Need to know the best way for these two, since I understand wahs don't often play nice with buffers and other things before 'em.

2. TheoDog

TheoDog Supporting Member

I would put wah first. Off the board. Battery. Only set out and plug it in if I plan to use it.

Sam Xavier likes this.
  3. Oinkus

Oinkus Member

Never had an issue with a TU2 or TU3 and a Dunlop Crybaby Wah being after it in the chain. Currently I have my tuner coming out of the volume pedal tuner out so it is not in the chain at all now. I have used many of the various Crybabies since the 70s and the only thing that matters is if the ones you have are playing nice together or not. You have to try both/all options and pick the one YOU like the best for your rig.

Sam Xavier likes this.
  4. PatrickE_FenderADV

PatrickE_FenderADV Supporting Member

I always run wah first on all my board builds... I use my right foot and it just seems logical to me. Tuner is typically after wah. :dunno

Sam Xavier likes this.
  5. Sam Xavier

Sam Xavier Member

Thanks, guys. As coincidence would have it, I decided soon after posting to keep the wah off the board and on battery power. Likewise, the Whammy DT, since it's a big heavy bugger and takes a lot of space on the board. No problem to keep a spare tap on the PSU for that, though.

6. AMPEGJOSH

AMPEGJOSH Member

Pedalboard guys at shows have found it odd but I run a dedicated in this case visual sound buffer at the start of the chain then wah. I put the TU3 at the end of the chain as a buffer after all the pedals and as an overall mute

7. The-Kid

The-Kid CIOKS dealer and seller Vendor

Also experiment with chain placement.

For me wah always first.

After playing tuner in different spots, I put it at way end of chain at the last. It still tunes as good messes with my impedance and signal as little as possible this way

8. Brian Gilmour

Brian Gilmour Member

Wah first into my Waza TU-3w. Battery only off my board. Tried it after the tuner and the results were abysmal.

9. ZepFuzz05

ZepFuzz05 Supporting Member

I would personally put the TU-3 first, since I generally like to start any effect chain with a high-impedance, buffered input. But, that would most likely bring some extra top end into your wah sound - so you'd have to be okay with that. If you'd rather have a warmer, more "vintage" wah sound while sacrificing a bit of top end on your base guitar sound (even in bypass), then you can put the GCB-95 first.

10. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

is the current crybaby not true-bypass?

if not it would be fairly easy to mod it so, then there would be no loss when it was off no matter where it sat in the chain