Boss TU2 tuner....volume problem

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dallyd31, Oct 13, 2008.

1. dallyd31

dallyd31 Member

Lately when running through my Boss TU2 that intermittently, I get some lose in volume. It comes back and then for a few minutes, I get loss in volume again.

Has anyone else had a similar issue ??? Could it be an issue with the switch ???

2. Lightningrt

Lightningrt Member

Are you using batteries or 9V dc adapter?
    Are you using the "output" output or "bypass" output?
    Have you tried both outputs to see if it does it with both or just one?
    Do you have the tuner switched on all the time when you are playing?
    If so, is it happening when the pedal is switched on or off?

If you use it like I do mine - plugged into 9v adapter and set so it kills the signal when you switch it on for tuning, then it sounds like it's a loose connection or dry solder joint somewhere inside. The input and output jacks on some Boss pedals are soldered directly onto the PC boards which is not ideal. If it's connected to a mains adapter, try wiggling the power lead and see if that is where the weakness is.

Although people say Boss pedals are built like a tank, they are mass-produced and suffer bad quality control at times.

3. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

There's another thing that almost never gets mention here...

The actual, physical jacks. Input and output jacks make contact with a piece of metal that bends in and makes contact in a pretty small area...as well as ground.

It is a good idea to inspect these also sometimes, and see if there is any corrosion and if the "tang" is bent over and making good contact.

Just open up the bottom, plug in and see where it makes contact, see if cleaning or touching up the metal is called for?

4. tlpruitt

tlpruitt Member

Also, if you are using a battery make sure the battery snap is not loose on the battery terminals. You can slightly bend the snap-on terminals to make them fit more tightly on the battery terminals.

...and check your cables.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  5. dallyd31

dallyd31 Member

Thanks guys

Cables are fine.

I have been using a battery, but it is brand new and checks fine. FYI, I use it so that it is muted when engaged.