boss tuner pedal power weirdness, maybe...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by pete kanaras, Mar 10, 2008.

1. pete kanaras

pete kanaras Member

i run a small board(6pedals)and the last in chain is an older boss RV2 reverb. the board is powered with a power-all adapter. so, it's a power-all then a daisy chain to connect the pedals. but whether the reverb is engaged or not there is a ringing high pitched cycling noise. sounds like an older phone's ringtone. it's only apparent at very high volumes but it iS there, so it's troublesome. but connecting the RV2 to it's own separate power supply eliminates the problem. so that leads me to believe that the boss tuner being the culprit, with it's parralled power jacks. is there a way to filter those dc inputs? anybody experience anything similar? and if so, what was your solution? i really don't want to have to use 2 supplies. highly frustrating

2. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

The problem is most likely the Power-All, actually. The adapter (which is the switching type, rather than transformer) is messing with the clock frequency in the RV-2. I'm willing to bet that you'll end up having to use a separate power source for it. Of course, a power supply with isolated outputs (PP2+, BBE Supa-Charger et al) will count as separate sources, so if you get one of those you won't have to run two wall warts on your board.

I'm a little curious about the TU-2, though. You didn't mention it in the initial description (Power-All -> daisy chain -> pedals), but are you still running the power through it (i.e. using the power out jack to provide power to pedals)? If not, the extra jack shouldn't be of any concern. If you do, I'd stop and simply treat the TU-2 like any other pedal (running it off the daisy chain like the others, and not using the power out jack). It isn't designed to handle more than 200mA, and could fail or drop the voltage if it is used for bigger loads (with bigger adapters).

/Andreas

3. Electric I

Electric I Member

Friend of mine had trouble recently with his boss tuner pedal. Apparently, either the input or output jack came loose & caused an intermittent ground.

Or something of that nature.

In short, make sure the in/out jacks/nuts are tightened.

4. pete kanaras

pete kanaras Member

but are you still running the power through it (i.e. using the power out jack to provide power to pedals)?

yes andreas, that's the way i've always used it. forgot to mention that the powerall had everything but the 'verb, the 'verb used a Mutec(boss style)adapter. but when i use the mutec alone it does the same thing as with the power-all. this is turning into a riddle! hmm...

i've always been under the impression that the tuner's extra jack is in parallel with the main one; a "thru" jack as it were, like a pa speaker's 2jacks. are you saying that i'm being current limited by the tuner itself? i don't know the total draw of the board as everything pedal is velcro'ed on the bottom but it consists of:

mxr micro amp
    boss dm2 delay
    boss tr2 trem
    boss rv2 reverb(the original japanes boss 'verb, no battery access)
    custom 3 button amp switcher, replaced with a vaughn mods ts-9 when needed

hmmm, maybe a pp2 is in my future. pity, because i've been running this board forever, originally with an RV3 which i did'nt like at all. small but quite potent; the whole board measures 16 1/2 x 6

thanks much for responding. any further thoughts feel free

5. stuey222

stuey222 Member

I know the exact problem you're having. The older MIJ Boss pedals run on 12v, not 9v. A VL Pedal Power would work, since they have the switches for 12v. I have a CE-2 and had the same problem, until I hooked it up to a Pedal Power.

6. pete kanaras

pete kanaras Member

I know the exact problem you're having. The older MIJ Boss pedals run on 12v, not 9v. A VL Pedal Power would work, since they have the switches for 12v. I have a CE-2 and had the same problem, until I hooked it up to a Pedal Power.

AHA! stuey you are Da Man, thanks so much. a PP2 it is then. man that was driving me bonkers, many thanks all

7. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

Oh, so you're not using the Power-All for the RV-3, and you're not powering the RV-3 through the TU-2? That'd been helpful to know from the start... :D If the RV-3 whines even when it's the only pedal connected, definitely take a closer look at the Mutec power supply. Try the pedal with a regular Boss PSA and see if that clears things up. If the RV-2 is quiet when alone, but whines when it's in the chain with the other pedals, I'd suspect some interaction from the Power-All. Try unplugging the pedals from the power source one by one (letting them fall back on battery power) to see which one seems to cause the noise.

Yes, they are basically wired in parallel, so theoretically there should be no limit, However, the two jacks are connected through a small circuit board, and the copper traces carrying the power are very thin. If you push too much current through there, they can get overwhelmed. This is why Boss initially only ok'd it for 200mA. The Power-All can provide up to 1700mA, so if you are running several power-hungry pedals, I'd suggest routing the main power around the TU-2 (using the regular daisy chain method).

Also, the TU-2 draws 35mA max when tuning (6mA in bypass). Don't worry about the 12v thing in the DM-2. It needs 12 volts on the adapter jack when powered alone, but when it's in a daisy chain with other 9vDC pedals, it will make do with 9 volts.

Well, call it a pity, but buying a PP2+ (you need the plus version to power the RV-2, using output 5 or 6) will probably be the last time you have to worry about power issues... The BBE Supa-Sound has most of the PP2+ features (except the "sag" controls) with a slightly smaller pricetag, so check that one out as well. Also, chances are that all you need do is replace the adapter you used for the RV-2, so you might get away with far less.

/Andreas

8. GuiltySpark

GuiltySpark Supporting Member

Nm, stinkfoot is the man when it comes to troubleshooting power. I re-read and deleted my post here.

9. pete kanaras

pete kanaras Member

Oh, so you're not using the Power-All for the RV-3

yeah i am; i use either the power all or the mutec for the whole chain, depending on which amp i'm using. i also ran each pedal individually on it's own power with each adapter and in all cases each effect was quieter by itself. and they were all noticeably quieter running thru the power-all vs the mutec. the RV2 is a fairly noisy(hissy, with a turn on "woosh" when engaged)pedal as it is but when powered alone the high pitched cycling noise dissapeared. the hiss does'nt bother me on live gigs

However, the two jacks are connected through a small circuit board, and the copper traces carrying the power are very thin. If you push too much current through there, they can get overwhelmed

aha i see, said the blind man....

Well, call it a pity, but buying a PP2+ (you need the plus version to power the RV-2, using output 5 or 6) will probably be the last time you have to worry about power issues...

yeah, i guess it's time to man up and get a pp2 and be done with it. a 15 foot right angled iec power cable and i'll be good to go.

andreas and all thank you so much. this place is a great resource