• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Boss Turbo Distortion

Busted mine out and starting tweaking with it, Ive decided I love this pedal, especially on the turbo II setting, very unique, creamy and mid heavy at the same time. I'll bet this cuts in a band situation. Use a Homebrew Electronics Uno Mos boost in front of it and its a killer sound.

Im suprised nobody else uses these, I usually use more botique type pedals but this is a hidden gem, especially if you dial it in just right.

SP311

I also think this is a really awesome and overlooked pedal and not just for the price! I have a lot of dist. and OD pedals and this one is definitely in the top 3. It has great tone on both settings and you can get a switch to go from one to the other...beautious ...though i did buy a boss switch and it doesn't change the modes for some reason...?

flyonthewall150

Silver Supporting Member
I had one and found it sounded almost more like a fuzz than a distortion. And the standard mode was too mid scooped, and the turbo mode was...well, too middy.

Unadan

I just read an article about Weezer - apparently Rivers Cuomo uses this pedal.

LowWatt

Playing around with a buddy's Turbo Distortion and loving it. Sounds like a middle ground between a Rat and a Shredmaster. Not as versatile as either of those, but very interesting.

AXXA

Silver Supporting Member
I got one not too long ago, and it is really cool. I especially like the mid heavy turbo mode.

I've never really used distortions for dirt, so it is different than what I'm used to. It has good clarity and is not as gritty as an OD or fuzz. Another sound to have in my arsenal

kdc113

You can hear both modes on "Nevermind"...this was Kurt Cobain's distortion pedal.
Kurt don´t use the DS-2 in the record, only in tour, he borke his DS-1 in middle of the tour and bought the DS-2 for reeplace.

Contrary of what a lot of people say, the DS-2 is not a DS-1 with more balls, the schematic is nothing in common. The DS-1 is a IC opamp with clipping diodes, the DS-2 is made with transistors like a Big Muff, thats why the sound is mor fuzz.

I like both DS-1 and DS-2, theyre different, and i like to have in my arsenal when i need, and plus, are cheap.

Altgtr33

You can hear both modes on "Nevermind"...this was Kurt Cobain's distortion pedal.

Speaking as a Nirvana fan for years now, the above statement is just false/untrue. Kurt used a boss ds-1 for recording "nevermind" but also, used a big-muff and rat for a couple songs. Kurt didn't start using a ds-2 till' he broke his last ds-1 in Hawaii in 92'......his roadies couldn't find a ds-1 and one of them saw a ds-2 in a local shop where they were also buying Marshall speaker cabs(kurt loved to destroy/poke his guitars thru speakers).
Anyway, long story cut short....Kurt didn't like the ds-2 at first but he ended up using it. This is the distortion he used on in utero though(go back and listen and you can tell the tone difference from nevermind to in utero). Also, kurt only used mode 1 on the ds-2.
Now when Nirvana went on the in utero tour he used a boss ds-2 and a tech 21 sansamp to get his distortion......and you can tell he's using something different for the in utero shows because it sounded better then the boss distortions that he "was" using before...........

Hopefully that clears up some of the confusion:dunno There is an old guitar world issue that talks about Kurt's gear that's where most of the above comes from.

Also, I used to have a ds-2 a LONG time ago(it was the 2nd pedal I bought, my 1st distortion pedal). I thought it sounded better than the ds-1 but, I only used mode 2.....which sounds more like a fuzz than a distortion but YMMV.

Ben---------Altgtr33

Trending Topics