Boss VB-2 VS Malekko Vibrato?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tinkercity, Mar 30, 2015.

1. tinkercity

tinkercity Supporting Member

Anyone have any experience with both of these pedals? I've owned a Boss VB-2 before and loved it. Sold it and am thinking of either grabbing another or looking at the Malekko Omnicron Vibrato -- the most current version FWIW, as it runs at 18v and offers higher headroom.

I'm curious if anyone has owned or played both of these pedals and what the similarities and differences might be.

2. tinkercity

...bump for the AM crowd :)

3. olejason

olejason Supporting Member

4. tinkercity

Any experience with the Malekko?

5. theanalogdream

theanalogdream Supporting Member

I have 2 friends who have both owned a VB-2 and swapped to the Malekko with no regrets at all! For what it's worth...

smitty.west likes this.
  6. tinkercity

That's good to hear. It appears they use the same discontinued IC chip?

7. tinkercity

Bump for anymore opinions

8. tinkercity

Just a little update.... picked up a new Malekko Vibrato (which can be run at 15 or 18 volts) and an Xotic Doubler (which has an option for either 15 or 18 volts)... It's incredible. All the tone of the Boss VB-2 with none of the bypass issues or cost. While I still love the VB-2 --- if you're in the market for that tone but can't either find one or muster up the cash, the Malekko Vibrato + Xotic Doubler is killer. Plus it's so tiny and fits perfectly on my board. :)

9. smitty.west

smitty.west Senior Member

Does the Malekko really nail the VB-2 sound? I've been a longtime user of the VB-2, several times trying to find a replacement, but nothing has ever come close to that lush hi-fi Boss sound. I've found all vibratos I've tried-- and there have been many-- shaved off the top end in my signal and I just couldn't stand that. Want something that'll retain the high end like my VB-2 while adding that luscious swirl.

10. flyonthewall150

flyonthewall150 Supporting Member

The Digitech iStomp Magic Fingers Vibrato sounds identical to the VB-2 pretty much. I've owned a VB-2 for a long time and also tried a bunch of different vibrato pedals (BYOC, TC Shaker, Behringer, M9/M13, etc) and the Digitech one is by far the best and most accurate in regards to sounding like the VB-2. No boost or volume loss and no alteration of your original tone either. Has tap tempo too which is interesting.

11. aram

aram Member

I've never played the VB2 but the Malekko is a great pedal.

12. topo morto

topo morto Member

Glad to hear they've sorted the headroom issues. I had an original one - stupidly low headroom at 9v.

13. tinkercity

Update to my thread...

I owned a Malekko and ran it 15v, which was their recommendation. It definitely had more headroom than the previous model. It had clear upper end but still didn't sound or rather react like the VB-2. They're still using different chips, so I'm sure that's the difference. I ended up letting it go as I didn't like how it reacted with dirt before or after it. It sounded great clean, but brought in a lot of noise when run before dirt and sounded mushy and dull after gain.

The VB-2 I had did have some noise with gain after it -- but nothing crazy.

Curious about this... Was going to look into the Behringer as an alternative.

14. gillibi

gillibi Member

I love the Behringer

tinkercity likes this.