Boss VF-1 vs. SE-70?

Discussion in 'The Rack Space' started by iam_krash, Dec 14, 2017.

1. The Revolution

The Revolution Member

I had an RSP-550, the precursor to the se-70, and I "upgraded" to the VF-1. The "organic" warmth of the RSP-550 not really there in the VF-1, but it does have a "tone" its very clear and articulate and the FX are much more flexible and plentiful. It is not bad, it is just a tone you love, hate or just accept as I have. The delay on the RSP-550 was beautiful.

2. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

Can we all try a little good thing for the new year? ALL of us?
    Let's just drop the *organic* word off any audio description... as it means nothing for audio and is such a clichè of emptiness...
    Not a comment about what The Revolution just posted as we all use that word.
    He just reminded me about something I wanted to say... since long time ago.
    Languages have so many great words and phrases to describe things...

Thank you all... the droppers...

iam_krash likes this.
  3. Ian

Ian Member

Man, I heard of this guy Brent Garsed, but never listed to him until this.....that was wicked!!

Thanks
    Ian

4. Frisbi

Frisbi Member

Just one thing.
    Reading the manuals, apparently SE70 doesnt work with external midi clock while VF1 is midi clock syncable.
    That makes a big difference for me since I use midi clock a lot.
    Do you know if I can dial bpm to a delay in Se70?
    And is VF1 really so bad with sound?

5. AnalogKid85

AnalogKid85 Member

Absolutely, even for every single tap in the 20-Tap delay ;) LOTS of different subdivisions to choose from too.

It's a mixed bag. You must run it in parallel for the time-based FX (just trust me on that one!), but even then, some sounds are just not as "robust" as they are on, say, a Lexicon MPX-1 or a PCM. The algorithms themselves do what they're supposed to do—the Dimension D and CE-1-style chorus really do their thing nicely—but chorus in particular comes across as a little less "crisp" than it does with those Lexicons (or any analog stuff). The 4-band EQ does help in this, but only so much.

When I first got this box, I was crazy about the chorus sound because it was the only FX processor I had that could REALLY do a convincing CE-1 waveform (and in true stereo too, with separate delay lines). I made at least 30 presets doing variations on just that sound (mostly trying to emulate Alex Lifesons late 70s/early 80s Rush sounds). I still enjoy these, but I find myself using them less and less as I've acquired other gear that can also emulate these more "vintage" waveforms easily too (MPX-1) and also explored other techniques in gear I already had that could help it get closer (PCM80).

I do like delays a bit better. Naturally, since you're usually running delays at lower levels (like -8 or -12dB), your ear is probably not going to be as sensitive to these little details as they are with chorus, and the EQs can really do a lot for the delays too (my favorite "method" on this box: dialing in a hi & low-cut + a midrange hump at the input EQ, paired with different hi & low damps in the feedback path). No modulated delays, but I have gotten some nice sounds with the delay>chorus algorithm (which allows you to feed delay+dry into the chorus, or just the delay). There's lots of 3-tap delays, some dual-stereo delays, and of course that big 20-Tap one too—all of which have either BPM settings for each one, or a time % control (i.e. choose a subdivision for the "main" delay line and configure the others with the % control).

Overall, it's not the best-sounding box I own, but I'm definitely holding onto it, mostly for the "weird" stuff it can do, like the Slicer+Dual delay (both of which are tap tempo-enabled :) ).

Frisbi likes this.
  6. Frisbi

Frisbi Member

Yes the slicer also got my attention.
    What about reverbs?

7. AnalogKid85

AnalogKid85 Member

Somewhere in-between the quality of the Rocktron stuff and the Lexicon MPX-1. I do get some good sounds out of them, but at long decay times, you really have to do something extra to "smooth" it out (this is why I like to use one of the Chorus>Reverb algorithms, and feed short modulated delays into the reverb). You also have a level control for the Early Reflections, which is nice.

Frisbi likes this.
  8. AnalogKid85

AnalogKid85 Member

Well, I've got both now....
    [​IMG]
    I will have a pretty detailed post coming up comparing these two. Overall I find them to be very "complementary" boxes that fill out each other's shortcomings nicely :D For the raw tone of the effects I would say the SE-70 does sound better, but not overtly so, and it's not so much better that it would make me use an "alternate" SE-70 chorus sound to the VF-1's Dimension D emulation, for example (which the SE-70 doesn't have).

As far as algorithms go, both boxes have things I couldn't live without, but the SE-70 does have a little bit more of what I want, and really gets a little closer to the heart of the things I like to program on the other boxes ;) The Wave Chorus algorithm's Exponential waveform, for example, wound up getting me closer to the 1210's chorus sound than I thought it would (I was really trying to tweak this algorithm for more of a TSC kind of sound, but that waveform really "jumped out" at me and led me in a different direction :D ), and the 12-tap and 2x3-tap detune/pitch shift/reverse algorithm's possibilities are so extensive, they could have been the basis for a new product unto themselves (and in a way it kind of was, with the Boss PS-3 pedal—which does about 1/10th of what this can do). There's a great, real stereo mod delay here too, probably the same as the DD-20's, but with some extra features (4-band EQ + sin/tri waveform choice).

I will have a more detailed summary coming soon that will break down all the differences, and which box does X effect better, etc. Still tweaking some new SE-70 presets, and I'll have some of those up soon!

iam_krash, Tomo El Gato and Frisbi like this.
  9. Frisbi

Frisbi Member

Did you give a try to new Boss 500 series?
    I am trying RV and DD and I am absolutely in love with them.
    I think.they took some algorithms from VF1, and you can find some modulations hidden here and there in these two small boxes.