Boss Waza Air Headphones

jski59

Silver Supporting Member
Ive had mine for about a month now and completely love them.

At first I thought the gyro modes were a just a semi cool gimmick but Ive been using them all the time...ill just cue up a band set list, turn on gyro mode and just kind of wander continuously throughout the house. Adds a new dimension to my practice routine and hell, maybe I’ll drop a pound lol.

Bluetooth connection has been a little wonky at times, but nothing worse than any other Bluetooth device imo.

Now only if there was a wireless pedalboard where i could stroll by and kick on an effect or two

MIke MM

Ive had mine for about a month now and completely love them.

At first I thought the gyro modes were a just a semi cool gimmick but Ive been using them all the time...ill just cue up a band set list, turn on gyro mode and just kind of wander continuously throughout the house. Adds a new dimension to my practice routine and hell, maybe I’ll drop a pound lol.

Bluetooth connection has been a little wonky at times, but nothing worse than any other Bluetooth device imo.

Now only if there was a wireless pedalboard where i could stroll by and kick on an effect or two
A pedal board would be cool, the only gripe I have about mine is the UX, which I access through my phone, is not the easiest to use or understand.

I've had mine for a couple of weeks now, and I stand by the comment that they are game changers (for me at least). Bottom line is these headphones mean more playing.

I use the Android app, and it works fine for me (with a Samsung S20 by the way). I read the manual once on how to save a liveset and job done. I have the advantage of using Boss Tone Studio for my Katana (which actually does sucks on a PC by the way) so this app and the controls are familiar.

The gyro thing does drift, but I sit on a rotating guitar stool most of the time, so I spin around and chase the gyro if it gets out of whack.

I very quickly had a high gain tone on the Waza-Air that I liked, so I tried the same settings on my Katana. It worked pretty well - and was a near match for high gain satisfaction for the Katana patch I've been tweaking over the course of several years.

It does make you wonder what other possibilities could be explored - for example, audio out to record etc. That will no doubt come down the track with a subsequent version.

Whatever the case - I am one happy camper with this product.

MIke MM

I love the Waza, and had a really interesting experience with it last weekend.

Was guitar shopping and brought along the headphones. So instead of plugging into an amp and worrying about the sound I was creating, I plugged into the Waza, and wandered around the store playing, not bothering or hearing another soul. No more being asked to turn down, or having other people's sounds in my ears while I tried out, (and bought) a new Es-335.

It made trying out and buying a new guitar the best experience I ever had. I probably played the guitar for 2-3 hours before I bought it, and the experience was heavenly.

KenA

Very interesting device, but i'm afraid its size will hurt my ears. Normally I tend to use larger diameter headphones to prevent that, but yeah I guess I have a larger head than normal people???

soopajeanmi

2 weeks with mine; definitely a game changer for boosting my practice time. Maximum convenience, and pure pleasure to be able to play on top of my favorite songs or backing track at night, with a very good tone (switching to a good jazz, blues, rock tone is a matter of seconds). No ears fatique even after using them for 2 hours. :rockin

Marco.au

Still enjoying mine.

I bought a Mojo Mojo overdrive(*), which I'm playing through the clean amp on the Waza-Air. guitar wired to the pedal, pedal wireless to the headphone.
And it sounds very good, less processed than Boss' preamps that I complained on a previous post.
The downside is that it is making some static noise, which I don't know if it is from the pedal or (most likely) from the cheap power supply. Not 60Hz single coil noise, it happens on sc's and humbuckers.

(*) my first pedal ever, to the shock of TGP'ers!

Quad4

The downside is that it is making some static noise,
That static could be:
  • Clipping on the transmitter meant for instrument levels (try lowering the level on the overdrive). Also remotely possible that the modeler is clipping (and they didn't expect such high levels from the transmitter).
  • Interference of the transmitter signal (perhaps from the pedal being or its power supply). The further the transmitter is from the noise source, the better.
  • Ground interference from the overdrive to the plugged in wireless dongle.

Or something else.

Marco.au

That static could be:
  • Clipping on the transmitter meant for instrument levels (try lowering the level on the overdrive). Also remotely possible that the modeler is clipping (and they didn't expect such high levels from the transmitter).
  • Interference of the transmitter signal (perhaps from the pedal being or its power supply). The further the transmitter is from the noise source, the better.
  • Ground interference from the overdrive to the plugged in wireless dongle.

Or something else.
Thanks for that. It certainly reduces noise with lower od levels.
What makes me think of the power supply is that it is affected by noise items, like tv on, proximity to wifi transmitter, etc. But I’ll try to work it out, because the OD lifted the waza air experience.

Danrop

A pedal board would be cool, the only gripe I have about mine is the UX, which I access through my phone, is not the easiest to use or understand.
I do this, use the boss pedalboard wl50 and the headphones at the other end

CptSensible

Anyone having any issues with their headphones after updating iOS to 14.2? I haven’t been able to get my headphones to pair with my phone app after the update.

Last edited:

Marco.au

Another one here.
updated my iphone to 14.2 and the boss waza app crashes every time I try to connect the bluetooth.
I am glad I saw this post, because I use the waza-air with my ipad, which I was just about to update. Holding on to my ipados for now.
Hope there is a quick fix coming from Apple or Boss!

ljholland

Gold Supporting Member
There’s discussion on the FB group about the IOS crash. The developers are aware....but I guess we’ll see how long the update takes.

CptSensible

I guess I hadn’t thought through this iOS update issue before I purchased these expensive headphones. I assume at some point Boss will no longer offer updates to their WAZA app to account for iOS updates, and then the headphones will be largely useless. That’s a ways off, I imagine, but nonetheless, I’m likely to end up with a $400 piece of plastic that can no longer be used.

I guess that’s the plight of a lot of digital products, but perhaps even more with something that requires linking with an app to just use like these headphones.

chrisjnyc

Silver Supporting Member
I guess I hadn’t thought through this iOS update issue before I purchased these expensive headphones. I assume at some point Boss will no longer offer updates to their WAZA app to account for iOS updates, and then the headphones will be largely useless. That’s a ways off, I imagine, but nonetheless, I’m likely to end up with a $400 piece of plastic that can no longer be used.

I guess that’s the plight of a lot of digital products, but perhaps even more with something that requires linking with an app to just use like these headphones.
Fairly common for IOS updates to cause problems with 3rd party apps. I would suggest to hold off from updating right away, or use another iphone\ipad that you dont update. I have not updated my iphone from IOS 12 for that reason.

Trending Topics