• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Boss: what about a little less COSM, and a few more reissues of the classics!

dcmak5

there are MANY boss pedals that constantly get overlooked in favor of the boutique, but some (jf not most) know that there are a good number of Boss products that sound great
some have gone by the wayside (dm-2, dm-3, etc)

I'd like to see Boss reissue some of their best discontinued pedals (stuff like the slow gear, vibrato, and analog delays which obviously have some sort of a following otherwise they wouldn't get cloned.)

why not compete with the Carbon Copy? I don't think Boss has made an analog delay since the '80s...
I love my DM-3 and with the current market having an interest in analog delays, and other analog pedals Boss could definitely cash in

It's probably not going to happen, but I would gladly buy new Boss products if the interesting ones weren't all COSM. don't get me wrong, the RE-20, fender amp in a box/reverb, RT-20, etc are cool. I just don't like modeling/simulation pedals unless they're done very well

or, listen to the players collectively before designing? a sort of suggestion box?

also I would hate to see a double the price "Bosstique" line haha :facepalm

bsrguitar

^Amen... I would be very interested in a new DM2 or DM3. Or maybe a combo of the RV3 with a AD rather than the Digital. Yummy.

ABKB

I will second all that. Would like to see the old chorus (can't remember the name off the top of my head)

dcmak5

and then there are the original ones that came out with the ch-1 or whatever it was called.
that really early distortion pedal that looks like the chorus is also really unique

southpaw pete

I dunno, maybe some of the analog components aren't being manufactured anymore, and the cost may also be higher to build the older style, as opposed to their digital COSM modeling. Of course, other companies are still able to build analog delays and chorus etc...

That being said, I would like to see a real re-issue of some older pedals, but if they did a re-issue, I am pretty sure it would all be COSM. :(

EricPeterson

It is sad that the preferences of TGP dont dictate market trends for BOSS, or fender, gibson or marshall for that matter.

GlobalCooling

I dunno, maybe some of the analog components aren't being manufactured anymore, and the cost may also be higher to build the older style, as opposed to their digital COSM modeling. Of course, other companies are still able to build analog delays and chorus etc...

That being said, I would like to see a real re-issue of some older pedals, but if they did a re-issue, I am pretty sure it would all be COSM. :(
Sadly, this is probably true. Luckily there are still some great Boss pedals currently in production (TR-2, TU-2 and 3, DD-20, DD-7, BD-2)

papersun

Here's what we need:

RV-20
PS-20 (Pitchfactor killer)
TR-20 (Goatkeeper killer)
RE-2 (compact Space Echo)

Edit: If they're gonna make new stuff and not reissue old stuff, that is.

CJReaper

I'd like to see the OD-1 reissued with the original 14 pin chip (if they even make that chip anymore). One of the best pedals I've ever heard pushing a cranked tube amp.

Cheers,

CJ

This has been brought up before, it seems Boss has no desire for a niche market. I believe the closest anyone will ever see to reissues are the Beheringer pedals or the boutique builds.

Lolaviola

Here's what we need:

RV-20
PS-20 (Pitchfactor killer)
TR-20 (Goatkeeper killer)
RE-2 (compact Space Echo)

Edit: If they're gonna make new stuff and not reissue old stuff, that is.
How about :
DS-2 distortion
DM-4 delay
CE-6 chorus
FL-4 flanger
return to analog circuitry; simplicity of the old units, minimal changes in features.

nightraven

we've got a ds-2 already ;)
the ce-5 and ch-1 were both originally analog for the first couple of years and then they changed the whole thing to digital and it sounded the same
i don't see a reason to reissue the bf-2, people like features and the bf-3 has a bunch of stuff, and if you're looking for a specific flavour of flanging that the bf-2 might have, they are still super abundant.
i guess with the delays boss doesn't want to spend so much on the cool audio bbd chips. if there was a dm-2 reissue it wouldn't sound like the original. who knows.

dhrcus

As I understand it, there are two main factors that will prevent that from happening.
We are a technology company and look forward, not backwards. The old stuff is great, but we need to be innovating.
The other reason is when the decision is made to make a product, we intend to have it around a long time. This won't happen, but if we decided to reissue the DM-2, we would have to find bbd chips from a supplier who would be willing to produce the quality we need and be willing to produce them for X number of years at a pretty high quantity. That would be almost impossible.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom