Boston Area Tech for Shielding a Strat...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by football, Apr 27, 2016.

1. football

football Silver Supporting Member

If you know someone you respect as being knowledgeable in that area, please let me know.

I have zero interest in doing it myself/will not be doing it.

Thank you

2. Ron Kirn

Ron Kirn Gold Supporting Member

are you sure it isn't shielded already... often it's just a conductive paint, but that's all it really needs.

Ron Kirn

football and Fishyfishfish like this.
  3. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Shielding made my Strat sound worse and, after one gig, I ripped it out the next day...but, sometimes, you just have to try things out for yourself. Good luck!

football likes this.
  4. football

football Silver Supporting Member

Not 100% sure Ron.

Also quite possible something else could be behind these excessive buzzing type sounds (not 60 cycle). When I take my hands off the strings it gets way louder.

It's the only guitar I have/have used that's exhibiting such extreme buzzing.

5. Ron Kirn

Ron Kirn Gold Supporting Member

take a piece of scrap wire... wrap it around a string... then around one of the pot shafts, or the switch shaft... if the hum is diminished when you aren't touching it... then the ground wire between the tremolo spring claw and the ground point inside is not connected... easy fix..

if the hum continues anyway there are several things it could be... ranging from a pickup coil winding shorted to a magnet... the pup could still work.. to some loose funk in the control cavity shorting out something....

rk

football likes this.
  6. schwa

schwa Member

Mouradian guitars in Winchester is one of the best for guitar work in the area, but I wouldn't be surprised if Jim suggested that you "just let a Strat be a Strat" when you talk to him. They're very good, but there will be a wait before you can take it in. They will also be well versed in possible alternatives.

football likes this.
  7. Dawg76

Dawg76 Silver Supporting Member

Guitar Doctor in Whitman.

football likes this.