Boston in August with wife and kids

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by ford, Apr 13, 2015.

1. ford

ford Supporting Member

I just searched here through all the Boston threads I could find and didn't really see the info I was looking for. So again I come to the greatest travel experts I know in the world... my TGP brothers in arms! Sisters in arms are also welcome to chime in.;)

Anyway, we are looking at being in Boston from Aug 9-12. We'll be driving in on the 9th from Maine or New Hampshire most likely and then flying home to Houston from Boston on the afternoon of the 12th. (we are going to turn our rental car in when we get to Boston on the 9th, as we won't need it to get around the city)

Looking for hotels/condos that are within five minutes of a train and hopefully at least ten minutes train ride from the city center.

Your best preteen and teen friendly restaurant choices... we won't be eating fancy... lots of burgers, pizza, diners... and maybe a few places with craft beer on tap... or a brewpub!

If you know of a great neighborhood just outside of Boston that has train access in then let me know that too... I just know nothing about the area! (If you are a billionaire and would like for us to stay with you in your huge Boston area home, we could probably also make that happen.)

2. jawajt

jawajt Member

One of the nice things about Boston, are there are a bunch of subway stops. Just so you know, the subway there is referred to as the "T". And geographically, it's a rather small city.
    As for hotels, that depends on how much you're willing to spend. Hotels are usually pretty pricey in Boston, unless they're a total dump. The Boston Park Plaza is pricing at about $166 a night, for when you're there. That looks pretty nice and it's in the city and close to a "T" stop. As I said, it depends on what you want to spend. Some areas that you could look into are Back Bay, The Theater District, and Kenmore Square.
    For food. There's plenty of good eats in town. Head to the North End, if you want some amazing Italian food. For burgers and such, I like Jacob Wirth. Also, Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market has some good "grab-n-go" food spots and plenty of shopping.
    With the rich history that city has, I recommend you take a tour. Either a trolley tour or a Duck Boat tour.

3. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

Stay in a city or adjacent town outside of Boston will save you even more money. The "T" is very accessible from many towns and it's very easy to get around in. If you do a search of the "T" route, that will help you out and easily be able to find hotels/motels within walking distance of the T stops. They are usually on time especially in the summer months over the winter months. There is also the commuter rails that will connect you to towns even further away to even save you more if you like.

As for places to visit with a young family and cheap eats, areas like Harvard Square has some good eats that you are looking for that is also lively and easily accessible via the T stop. The Rose Kennedy Greenway is a great walking area with the North End for eats and exploring and Fanieul Hall just on the other side of the Greenway from the North End. You can easily walk to the USS Constitution from the North End as well. There is also the Acquarium also off the Greenway.

4. jdalf

jdalf Member

We loved the time we spent in Boston, the city and the people. Loved Quincy Market area, bus tours, Duck boat, ole Ironsides, cradle of liberty tours.

Plymouth is nearby, see Plimoth Plantation,Mayflower.

It's a beautiful city.

5. mixwiz

mixwiz Member

Lots of great suggestions so far especially Italian food in the North end. Mass transit is the only way to get around....driving sucks so you're on the right path there. last time I was there, I took the high speed ferry to Provincetown (tip of cap cod). It's a really cool town though you have to be comfortable with some flamboyantly gay people. If you're into American history, there are so many things to see. There are guided tours of the freedom trail that are good. Although I grew up there, I wouldn't go to Lexington. Even though the first shots were fired there, the battle green is just a triangle about a block long on each side.

6. amplifiednation

amplifiednation Member

Make sure to check out the esplanade - the big park along the Charles River in the Back Bay. That's my favorite part of the city. There's a footbridge to get there which I believe is at the end of Dartmouth st.

7. JPB2

JPB2 Member

Too bad you are not coming a week or so sooner; Faith No More are playing 8/4 and Frampton/Cheap Trick are paying 8/1 at the Blue Hills Pavilion on the Boston waterfront. You could stay at the Seaport hotel which is a couple hundred yards from Blue Hills Pavilion. It may not be a bad hotel choice anyway because you can take the Boston Coach buses to Boston proper for free to Quincy Market, Downtown Crossing, etc. Then hop on the green line to back bay.

8. ford

ford Supporting Member

Thanks for all the suggestions so far...;);)

It is greatly appreciated. I'm going to download a T map on my computer when I get home so I can figure out where we want to stay.

9. playsarobin

playsarobin Results. Not excuses.

From one houstonion to another, Boston is a great city full of great people, food and scenery.

The footprint of Boston makes Houston feel like its own state. Wife and I have been twice and we've walked a lot of the places we went to. The T makes a lot of sense once you get the connection points and colors down. Buy a Charlie card that makes sense. We usually buy the week pass and hand it off to someone if we're leaving before it's finished. I think they do 3 day passes but they may only be weekend.. Be mindful I know government center is under construction and that's where the most convenient interconnections are from one Line to another. We were there in November and had to learn a few new spots to jump off and back on to make those connections. We usually stay downtown just to be central. Harvard/Cambridge is a beautiful area, as is the back bay.

Great pizza place on the south end near maybe tremont? Piccolo I think.

Yelp is a great app to find food quickly. Lots and lots of cheap options are all over the place.
    Great walking city. The T is great. Soak it all up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

The duck/trolly tours are actually pretty cool. There are multiple stops so you can get off and walk around then hop back on. The drivers give you the history of different places in the city.... which of course there is a ton of. The stops are pretty much at historic spots.

One time when I had to go for work the hotel wasn't located close to a t station, but it had a bus/van that would make stops to the t station every 20-30 minutes or so. I don't remember the name of the hotel, but it was pretty cheap. Something like that might be an option if you don't want to stay in the city. It really wasn't any worse than staying walking distance from a t station.

I've really enjoyed the times I have went to Boston.

11. pinefd

pinefd Member

Too bad you won't be in town when the Red Sox are playing. No matter who your favorite team is, attending a game at Fenway is always an experience. Even my brother-in-law, who is a big Yankees fan, says Fenway is his favorite park to visit. That said, even with the Sox not in town, you can still take in a tour of Fenway (which is easily accessible via the train): http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/bos/ballpark/tour.jsp

""America's Most Beloved Ballpark" is uniquely nestled in the city of Boston. Fenway Park is a place where dreams are made, traditions are celebrated and baseball is forever. See the home of Red Sox Legends, Williams, Yaz, Fisk and Rice. Visit Pesky's Pole and sit atop the world famous Green Monster which stands 37 feet 2 inches high overlooking leftfield. Our experienced tour guides will provide a thrilling, one hour, walking tour of Fenway Park. We welcome all fans to Fenway Park, home of the Boston Red Sox and the pulse of Red Sox Nation."

Frank

12. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

Fenway is awesome. When I went during baseball season they were actually playing the Marlins, which is my "hometown" team. That was pretty cool to see the Marlins at Fenway on the road. I'd love to go to a Celtics game sometime, too.... but don't really want to go in the winter.

13. TrickinSid

TrickinSid Member

We stayed at the Hyatt Place in Braintree...took the T into Boston.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.220...!1e1!3m2!1s20M08WP2qgdu2t4iHpR3Rw!2e0!6m1!1e1

Worked out great.
    It's a 10 - 15 minute ride.
    Train can get pretty packed at times....watch your time riding (people going to work, etc)

The breakfast at the Hyatt was worth the price alone!
    One thing that we really loved - all the fresh fruit - especially the grape fruit!

We ate at Friday's restaurant that is within walking distance from the Hyatt - DON'T....!
    Not good at all - IMHO.

Boston is small....you can walk most places.

Get a lobster sandwich...mmm.

Find....the apartment where Aerosmith use to hang out!

Pizza...find Regina's Pizza - delish.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/R...708eb0148c6f:0x9068102cef5e449c!6m1!1e1?hl=en

If you walk The Freedom Trail you should be able to find Regina's.

http://www.thefreedomtrail.org/

I loved Boston - have fun. :)

14. jkg

jkg Supporting Member

You might check out the Hotel Commonwealth in Kenmore Square. Its outside of downtown but is where Fenway and Boston University are located. Easy walk to the Back Bay with lots of shops and good food. Kenmore also has plenty to cheap eats for the kids due to the college factor. There is a green line stop there is well which is an easy ride to downtown/Park Street and the Freedom Trail.

15. ford

ford Supporting Member

Thanks! Yes... we plan on walking a lot.. we loved walking all over NYC and Chicago!

We will certainly do the hop on hop off bus tour one day.. great way to see a city! We've also done that in NYC, San Francisco and Chicago.

We are going to do the tour of the stadium. I'm bummed there isn't a game to go to... first thing we did when we saw the dates was check to see if they were playing at home... we are going to a minor league game in Vermont for the Vermont Lake Monsters... pretty sure it will be almost exactly the same!! ;)

Will check out Hyatt Place and the other suggestions... especially the pizza... we are certainly doing Freedom Trail!

Hotel Commenwealth.... another place to check out.. thanks!

My TGPers always come through with local and vacation knowledge.

16. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

Boston is a great walking city. It is really not all that big nor is it spread out. Some of the main tourist attractions like Fanieul Hall and the Acquarium and USS Constitution are walking distance from each other with the North End actually in the middle of those three attractions. Depending on how old your children are, there is also the Children's Museum locared next to The Boston Tea Party sight. It is a short walk from the New England Acquarium where you can take a Whale watching tour.

17. Boston617

Boston617 Member

Food (Pizza, subs, calzones): Leone's in Somerville. The greatest.

If you want to explore the T getting there, take the Orange Line to Sullivan Station & take either the 89 or 101 bus to Broadway/Grant Street. They're right across the street, next to Tony's Barber Shop.

18. ford

ford Supporting Member

Ok, well we put in for an apartment off of VRBO just now... its located on Beacon Street about a half mile from Fenway Park and 1 mile from Boston Common..

It was less expensive than most hotels we could find and has GREAT reviews.

Hopefully that comes through. It says we'll know within 24 hours.

19. 9520575

9520575 Member

Pizza!
    You should go to Flat bread pizza in somerville, pizza and bowling. Right off the red line on the MBTA ("T") The Davis stop. While you're there you can go to JP licks for ice cream. or Red Bones if you like ribs.

If you are going to take busses, trains and subways you should get a Charlie card day or week passes. Whatever plan makes sense, but its a good way to save a little cash on fairs.

The science museum, the isabella stewart gardner museum, the ICA are all worth a glance.

If you're driving in I suggest you travel down 128 which is a scenic byway that runs along the coast. Lots of great seafood on the way into Boston. If you go to Lincoln you can visit Walden Pond and check out the de cordova.

Enjoy your stay

20. ford

ford Supporting Member

Thanks for the tips!!

Thanks! We will be coming in from Maine I think... I see 128 swings by Gloucester and I believe we will be stopping by there for sure.