Boston sound w/ pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by MudPies, Feb 15, 2008.

1. MudPies

MudPies Member

I have a huge soft spot for Boston's music. It always reminds me of my youth (and hockey practice for some reason, thanks KQ95)

how can I replicate that 'torn speaker overdriven amp hells yea' sound with some pedals into a clean amp? My band may hate me for doing so but I'd love to be able to get Boston'y on demand.

my current chain is DynaComp (block logo) > ts9 > Washburn Phaser > dd20 > tu2

2. MudPies

MudPies Member

also, curently running cheap strat copy (someday to have a HB pups) and a 1x10 Park amp.

3. chrisr0712

chrisr0712 Member

Get a Rockman...designed by the guitarist for Boston.

I was thinking about this the other day...what did he use on the first album before he used the Rockman?

4. the recluse

the recluse Member

I would try to find a Rockman and run it through a bypass box. http://www.runoffgroove.com has a DIY project for a circuit called the mockman which is a clone of the Rockman that you could build into a regular pedal housing.

5. Skreddy

Skreddy Member

I was in a metal band in the '80's with a lead guitarist who used a Rockman. Does not sound like Boston. Tom [SIZE=-1]Scholz is a genius at guitar, electronics, and has a great ear. But I don't think his Rockman quite does "it." Unfortunately, you need a cranked amp and a Les Paul, with acoustic feedback between the speaker and guitar strings (and maybe some light chorusing) for that magic kind of sound.

Perhaps something in a FET amp-sim distortion into a loud amp would work though, with the right eq. Check out Runoffgroove.com for some likely (other) candidates.
    [/SIZE]

6. erksin

erksin Member

A P-90 equipped guitar would a good start.

You could check out a Catalinbread VariOboost - it does that honky midrangey cocked wah tone that Tom Scholz used so frequently.

7. doc

doc Member

The essentials of the Boston sound are a Les Paul into an MXR equalizer set in a particular pattern then into a Marshall. I'd probably get one of the blue MXR EQs and a Marshall pedal into your clean amp. Google and check around, there's a site out there that gives a pic of how he set his EQ.

8. JCM 800

JCM 800 Member

I'm confused. You are saying that a Rockman does not have the Boston sound? That's rather odd since it's all Tom Scholz has been using since the 3rd album. He's also been using Rockman gear direct for live shows as well. How can the Rockman not quite do "it". Maybe your friend didn't sound like Tom Scholz, but to say a Rockman doesn't have the Boston sound it rather ignorant.

To the OP, get a Rockman, it is Boston in a box.

9. dc_jcm800

dc_jcm800 Member

Yep, just saw Boston a few months back for the Brad Delp Tribute concert.
    All guitars in Boston were going through stacks of Rockman Gear.
    And live, it sounds it, very boxy and processed.
    I love the album sounds though!
    Crunch Box, MXR eq, and about 20-25ms of digital delay gets me there just fine.
    I read somewhere that the first album was all wizardry. Between the tube pre's, the board, and some custom built/modded comps and eq he achieved an amazing guitar sound.

10. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

Boston's guitars seem to have somewhat of a mid-honk. I imagine a good EQ pedal with the right mid frequency boost would do the trick.

11. MikeMcK

MikeMcK Member

Gary Pihl was doing a series of "clinics" as marketing events for Rockman. He claimed that Boston was using them live...direct to the board (after effects, of course).

Having said that, there's a lot of chorus on those songs.

12. waveman

waveman Member

I get mine by this way:

Rocktron Metal Planet -> Ibanez BCL Bi-Mode Chorus -> Ibanez DDL 10 delay.

13. Scotty J

Scotty J Member

"Bostonize" a Marshall using a BOSS GE-7 - boost 400, 800 and 3.2k, peak at 800

14. Skreddy

Skreddy Member

I'm saying it does not have the first album "More Than a Feeling" sound, for sure (which certainly was done the "old fashioned way").

My bandmate used one of those little X100 belt-mounted units, and it sounds like 80's transistory, tinny, boxy metal. This is the thing that comes to my mind when I see "Rockman," so I was assuming that in my response (a bad thing to do).

Tom Scholz uses a rack-mounted Sustainor Rockmodule, among other things; not the belt-mounted thing, I'm sure.

Honestly, I don't feel Tom's current tones are desirable compared to his first album.

15. Wesman61

Wesman61 Member

Whatever You do don't get a Boss GT8 for it's Rockman model. Horrible sounding.

16. grantford

grantford Member

Bingo! And a Les Paul with a SuperDistortion in the bridge:JAM

17. Scotty J

Scotty J Member

I can only get THIS close :D

[​IMG]

18. FLYING V 83

FLYING V 83 Pedal Trading Guru Silver Supporting Member

Sorry, but with a cheap Strat copy and a Park 1x10 amp,
    all the pedals on Earth won't get you Boston sounds.

Get a decent guitar and amp, and start from there.

A nice Peavey Classic 30 used for under $300,
    an Epi LP bolt-on neck for another $175, and you're on your way.

Don't waste another nickel on pedals.

19. MudPies

MudPies Member

just heading out the door from work but...

back in the day when I was just a little impressoinable pre teen I was told that they first got that sound on record by punching holes in their paper cone speakers. is there any truth to that?

I believed it since I would shove a mini mic in my old accoustic, run it into my boombox maxed out, hit record/pause and run the signal out to an old TV speaker that I punched holes in with a pen. It got this weird fuzzyness that sorta almost resembled that thick boston sound (without the thick).

20. MudPies

MudPies Member

yea yea, I know. the guitar and amp will be repaced eventually.

and this sound will be about 1% of mt sound, just for if/when I want it. Right now I love the plunky funk tone I get. I'm just missing a small low watt tube amp.