Boston's More than a Feeling

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by RedneckDerek, Jul 12, 2018 at 2:30 PM.

1. RedneckDerek

RedneckDerek Member

I think this song epitomizes the 70s for me. It was the first song I clearly remember listening to in my friend's older brother's Camaro Berlinetta. Fun times. Even as a little kid, I remember thinking; Wow this guitar solo sounds really different than anything out there right now.

2. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

It was a milestone for me, for sure. Freshman year of high school and learning that there was life beyond the AM radio dial. Biggest guitars I ever heard up to that point.

art_z and Jimi1983 like this.
  3. Boston617

Boston617 Member

Out of all of the songs that are beaten to death on classic rock radio, this is my favorite & I will turn up the radio every time it comes on. It's just a great song with a great solo, plain and simple.

reyleon, art_z and Jimi1983 like this.
  4. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

Yup yup and yup. Sholtz was a genius. Shame about how he treated Delp though...

5. mvd18969

mvd18969 Member

Yep, same here. And when you listen to this today, it still holds up to the test of time production-wise. Talk about being ahead of its' time. To me, this album is just about as close to perfection as you're ever going to get. The songs, the guitar tone, and of course; Brad Delp's incredible vocals.

Jimi1983 likes this.
  6. Cliffhydro

Cliffhydro Supporting Member

Fantastic album from start to finish.

Have you guys seen this?

HesNot, Jignant, Moby Dick and 7 others like this.
  7. vicjoy1945

vicjoy1945 Member

I remember the LP so well with such fond memories !!! Ahhhh...76-77 senior year of high school and the world beckoning !!!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018 at 8:47 AM
    sportycliff and Jimi1983 like this.
  8. vicjoy1945

vicjoy1945 Member

^^^ Fascinating video !!! Love it !!! How angelic are Brad Delp's vocals !?! So clean...so pure !!!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018 at 8:47 AM
    sportycliff, beanbass and dansworld like this.
  9. scott944

scott944 Member

Still my favorite album of all time. I remember sitting on the floor in front of my Dad's (tube!) stereo the day I bought it, listening over and over.

sportycliff and Jimi1983 like this.
  10. dansworld

dansworld Gold Supporting Member

I was working at Peaches in Fort Lauderdale when the album was released. I'll never forget the moment when the Columbia rep dropped the needle on it in our huge in-store sound system. It was a life changing experience hearing those songs, those guitar tracks and that RECORDING!

The album buyer finally spoke up after the first side finished....

"How many thousands of copies are you going to ship us??"

We sold literally thousands upon thousands of LP's and 8-Tracks of that release for many years after that.

11. winterblu

winterblu Supporting Member

Great album from start to finish, not a dud anywhere to be found.

12. Zander Dean

Zander Dean Member

Oh man, at the 3:30 mark of More Than a Feeling, Brad goes "she slipped awayyyyyyyy" and then he goes up a notch higher ......and then he goes another one higher after that! And the last two he's singing a higher note in harmony with himself. Just unbelievable

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018 at 1:47 PM
    sportycliff, Jignant, art_z and 8 others like this.
  13. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

Way ahead of their time. Incredible even all these years later.

Jignant, Jimi1983 and david57strat like this.
  14. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

I play Tom Scholz in a Boston tribute band. I've played the entire first album countless times, plus all the songs from the other albums.

MTAF still scares me every time I play it. Everyone knows that song so well...and not just that song, but that one single recording, that one arrangement.

You must get it right, or die.

15. RoryGfan

RoryGfan Silver Supporting Member

What a great song! I was Music Director at my college's FM station, and that tune dropped like a hammer, running up to Number 5 on the Billboard Top 100 (and Number 4 on Cashbox). Epic released three versions of it: single, album and full. So, no matter if you listened to AM, FM or the album, you were covered.

Cliffhydro, message #6, jumps to a great review (with isolated tracks), by Rick Beato.

"More Than a Feeling" took writer Tom Scholz five years to complete. It is one of six songs, five of which eventually appeared on the Boston album. Scholz worked on the project in his basement in 1974 and 1975, before Boston got its record contract.

It's a cool and amazing story, plus the album was waayyyy ahead of its time.

16. Matteo11

Matteo11 Supporting Member

Heard the song a million times and will be happy to hear it a million more.....a perfect pop rock song with great hooks imo

Jignant, david57strat and Moby Dick like this.
  17. david57strat

david57strat Member

I kind of see these guys as at least one of the the reference standards by which rock and roll guitars should be recorded - even to this day.

Stellar, timeless, melodic, and inspiring work. Fond memories.

My favorite piece on that album is Foreplay/Long Time. Beautiful organ work. Starts out innocently enough, then, out of nowhere, it grabs you by the throat. Right in your face. The vocal harmonies are captivating. Let us now forget the classic B3 tones, interspersed throughout the album.

Interestingly, I'm completely burned out on many of what I considered to be amazing Top 40 guitar-centered rock and roll tunes that I loved. While I could care less whether or not I hear a good many of those songs ever again in my lifetime, this album never grates on me.

It's a welcome treasure.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018 at 10:22 PM
  18. david57strat

david57strat Member

Thanks for sharing this, brother.

Beato is an incredible individual. Here's a man who knows all the intricacies of music composition and performance, and can easily and entertainingly explain all of it to others, with great depth and vision. I love his videos.

On of my favorite videos of his, was Episode 3 of "What Makes This Song Great" - Steely Dan's Kid Charlemagne. So many wonderful musicians on that track. Carlton nails it, with his priceless, tasteful leads and lead fills. The song is filled with gorgeous modulations, chord voicings, syncopation, driving vocal harmonies, and it's got such a beautiful groove to it. That's another song I could never tire of hearing.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018 at 10:08 PM
  19. Hap Hazzard

Hap Hazzard Member

I was 10 years old when I heard this record for the first time at a friends house. His older brother had purchased the Boston LP the week before but happened to be away when I came by.

We played the entire record over, and over and over.

More than a feeling gets a volume up every time I've heard it since.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018 at 8:53 PM
  20. John C

John C Supporting Member

Same here - same exact revelations as a 14-year-old freshman. Still have a soft spot for this song and that entire album. For me a huge AM vs. FM revelation was how AM edited More Than A Feeling down - and even bigger edits to Foreplay/Longtime.