Bottleneck slides: which (non-metal) model is best for warm and sustained tone?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by echo unit, Aug 6, 2006.

1. echo unit

echo unit Member

I am looking for a slide that is nice and full and warm sounding that will give me lots of sustain. I don't want a brass or any kind of metal as I find the metallic sound of it on the strings to be a bit harsh. Looking for big, full, warm and sustained.

I would also prefer one that is not too heavy as I will be wearing it only pinky finger and I have a small pinky.

Is there a make and model that is best?

Out of the Dunlop ones, which is best for warm full sustained tones?

2. HHB

HHB Member

IMO you gotta have a slide w/ some weight to it to get the tone your describing, those test-tube weight slides should be banned

3. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

Absolutely. Not only that, I find really light slides actually harder to play than slides with a bit of mass. And I play with my pinky, as well, and have pretty slender fingers. I usually use a Dunlop with the thickest walls I can find, and then just get the diameter that fits best. I've been tempted by the Diamond slides, though.

You might also consider trying one of the glazed ceramic slides. I think they're a bit lighter, overall, than glass, but have a very similar tone. The unglazed ceramic on the inside of the slide can make it easier to grip, if you're having problems with that.

4. WordMan

WordMan Member

I have a few Delta Sliders from Elderly music - glass, made from real, old wine bottles. They sound better than I play slide...

5. cpsdawg

cpsdawg Member

i use my pinky as well. the thin wall pyrex like dunlops suck and are hard to play. the thick walls are best and they make lots of sizes and lengths. i also like the old coricidan bottles like Duane Allman used. they are closed on one end, but my finger hits that so it stays in place well.

6. GuitarG

GuitarG Member

I'm using the Delta Sliders as well. For years I made my own wine bottle slides, but the Sliders are finished better than mine and sound great.

7. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

Without a doubt, the 213. Big, heavy glass. If you don't need the diameter, the 215 is about the same thickness, but somewhat smaller diameter, as are the 212 and the 218, which are shorter.

8. tommyg

tommyg Member

Glass...without a doubt has the smoothest tone. I "borrowed" a bunch of tall double-shot shot glasses from the club I played in: They were blue with the SKYY logo on it. But they are seemless (i.e., blown glass) and have a beautiful rich tone!

I've used shot glasses before with a lot of success due to their weight and - usually - seemless design.

9. Rebel-Guitars

Rebel-Guitars Antique Silver Member

I agree that glass has the smoothest tone, I prefer the thickest I can get over my ring finger. Although I don't like it to go past the knuckle. I like the metal slides also as long as they are thick.

10. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Silver Supporting Member

Moonshine Slide or Mudslide...

11. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I've had everything from metal, wine bottle neck, pyrex (crap)...

My favorite is the Duane Allman style corricidian bottle slide. It's not super heavy, but after messing around with the heavier ones for a while, you learn how to throw your hand back and forth instead of the slide. Plus, it's a bit neater I find...

I like most all of 'em, that's just what I use these days.

12. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

The Dunlop 212 or 218 (depending on the diameter of your fingers) is the slide you seek.

13. Curly

Curly Member

I like the Dunlop 2-- series, too, with pyrex heavy walls. I use a 215 (medium) on my pinky, and I have small hands.

I have tried quite a few others -- I like a small Coricidin, especially for single note playing.

However, I think the thick walled Dunlop fits your description best.

14. WordMan

WordMan Member

The biggest issue with Coricidin bottles is that they are closed on the end - if you sweat at all, they get more slimy and uncomfortable - at least I experienced that. It's why I switched to Delta Sliders...

15. Scott Cioe

Scott Cioe Member

My favorite is the ceramic "mudslide".It is soically like a cross between metal and glass.could be worth a lokk for you.

16. ES350

ES350 Member

I use 100 yr old whiskey bottle necks that I find in dumps and ghost towns out here in the wild west---some are 1/4 inch thick and they sound great.

17. B Vance

B Vance Member

I agree. Mine is always going to go on my ring finger. The slide has to fit snug as well. I don't like the ones that flip-flop around while you're playing them. The thicker/heavier the glass and the thicker the string gauge the better and high action in my humble opinion. As for brand, I like the typical, run-of-the-mill Dunlops.

18. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

MUDSLIDE - ceramic or clay - END OF STORY. ;)

19. Mullet Kingdom

Mullet Kingdom Senior Member

I've seen slides made of Rosewood.

Pyrex is light weight but it doesn't sound as good as glass. Slides don't cost that much -- buy a few different ones and see what works best for you.

20. GuitarG

GuitarG Member

I really like the Mudslide for acoustic and with my National. I like the Delta Slider wine bottle slides a bit more for electric. But from time to time I'll use a ceramic on electric, particularly w/ Fenders. It is a good, smooth sound.