Bought a Blue Angel for $499!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Brion, Jun 5, 2005.

1. Brion

Brion Supporting Member

I stopped into one of my buddies shops the other day and there sat a Blue Angel 1x12 combo marked at $499. He owed me $200 so I handed him $300 and took the amp home. I had told myself after I sold my last Boogie that it was to be my last, but I guess I should never say never. The tolex was pretty ragged around the edges and the leather handle is all cracked, but it had been used by the most popular blues guy in town for years. I'd been looking at small amps recently for decent tones at reasonable volume with a nice reverb, but the Vintage fenders I was looking at were too expensive and I really didn't dig the Blues and Pro Juniors I had played.. I'm really diggin this amp. Yes it has an everpresent white noise hiss, but it doesn't bug me while I'm playing. I like it much better than the '63 RI vibrverb I used for a while. It weighs about 60 lbs so it's heavy for a 1x12, but it doesnt have any rattles like my Maz jr. or other combo amps I've had recently. In my practice room I run it using the 6V6's with the volume around 9:00. This is a very reasonable volume for my house and it sounds good. I've tried my COT 50 and My MI audio Blue Boy through it. The COT didn't sound that great at this volume, but the Blue Boy sounds good. I feel that I got a pretty good deal for a pretty nice amp. It looks much better now that I cleaned it up. It probably won't displace my Maz Jr or RT 66, but it certainly does things that those amps don't do.

2. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

It must be a pleasure to score an amp that you really dig for low $$$.

But it's a feeling I've never experienced. :(

:D

3. Radax

Radax Member

A really sweet amp for a sweet price. Luv the Tube Selector or Combinations.... all in a Dual Recto. Really sweet.
    Mike

4. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

Mine didn't have much white noise stuff happening...you might want to check the tubes.

5. Brion

Brion Supporting Member

I plan on it. I've read many reviews where the noise was mentioned, but I plan on checking the preamp tubes first to see if I can cut down on the noise. It's only noticeable when theres no signal going through it.

6. slowburn

slowburn Supporting Member

when ever you decide to sell it, I'll buy it for $400.

David Garner likes this.
  7. Brion

Brion Supporting Member

LOL, that would work out well for you.

8. hemlock

hemlock Guest

Good score! I played one of those for several years and really liked it. Mine flbbed out whent he 6v6s were cranked, but the EL84's were great all the way from low volumes to fully cranked.

9. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Great amp. Congrats!

10. PUCKBOY99

PUCKBOY99 Silver Supporting Member

NICE SCORE!!

I've got a BA 4x10 & a BA head......so I guess you could say I love this amp!!!!

Try using 6L6s.....smooths out & warms up quite nicely!;)

11. Brion

Brion Supporting Member

It actually came with Sovtek 5881's installed in it. I put some EH 6V6's I had in it yesterday and I'm not sure which I like better yet. I experimented with the preamp tubes to try to cut down on the idle noise with no luck. It is running sovtek 12ax7wb's Originally it had an EH 12ax7 in the first slot and the sovteks in the rest. I took a known good EI tube and swapped it into the different positions one at a time replacing the original tube after I turned it back on to hear if there was any difference in the background noise. I couldn't hear any difference in any position. The noise isn't a show stopper and is probably just the design. This is one of the first BA's with the shock mount design, but no blue tolex, serial #33. It may have some tired caps or component drift. I'm going to play it for a while to make sure I want to keep it then maybe I'll ship the chassis out to boogie for a check up.

12. PUCKBOY99

PUCKBOY99 Silver Supporting Member

#33....WOW !

I don't know about the noise....the only noise I get out of mine is from the fan.....and the usual tube amp noise, but nothing completely ridiculous.

I like the Ei pre's & also use Ei EL84s....JAN Phillips 6L6s

I use a 12AT7 in the P/I....(middle pre tube)....

Have fun & good luck with the noise....like you said, maybe needs a good cleaning or recap.

13. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

That's a good deal. Enjoy it.

JackStraw12 likes this.
  14. icr

icr Member

I have had a Blue Angel since they first came out. Some interesting things, for example it is part of the "Dual Rectifier" line of amps, but it only has a single rectifier. It looks like a non-master volume but it does have a master volume inside on a trimmer. It looks like it does not have the graphic EQ , but it does have a graphic EQ that is hardwired to a single setting and encased in epoxy.
    [​IMG]

15. Blanket Jackson

Blanket Jackson It's Time For Action Silver Supporting Member

Great amp, great buy
    Congrats!

16. Monstercastle

Monstercastle Supporting Member

Wow....11 year bump.

Tone_Terrific likes this.
  17. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Let's see if OP comes back with a LONG-term update!

18. ggwwbb

ggwwbb Member

Where is the master volume trimmer on the inside, and how does it work?

19. icr

icr Member

As I recall it is just to the left of the Mojo module. I believe it is factory set around 5 or 6k.

20. NB_Terry

NB_Terry Member

I used one of these amps back in 99 or so and liked it a fair bit.

I'd like to try one again.