Bought a Collings City Limits today . . .

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by disconnector, Nov 30, 2017.

1. treeofpain

treeofpain Supporting Member

Congrats on the NGD. The City Limits i a great option if you want a more refined Les Paul.

The bear likes this.
  2. mikealpine

mikealpine Gold Supporting Member

E. Northport, NY (Long Island, not Lawn Guyland)
    Congrats on yours, and I love the story and reviews!! I want one too! I hadn't heard of them a few years back. A local guy walks into the music school that hosts an adult ensemble every Tuesday night, carrying a pretty beat up case and sat in the back of the room as we played. Eventually, after lots of encouragement, he opened the case and plugged into a barley mediocre amp. And he killed it! I couldn't believe the tone. It turns out he's a great player, local band fill-in guy, guitar tech and teacher, etc., but this guitar...as I said, I hadn't heard of Collings before. All I could think of at the time was that this is what a LP wants to be when it grows up. The unfortunate thing on the buy side is that these seem to hold their value very well, making them still pretty pricey on the used market. I have to offload a few, but am really thinking about buying one.

The bear likes this.
  3. joel

joel Member

Congratulations! I have a similar guitar, and came to it from a similar path. There was an Historic '58 that I really wanted, and nearly pulled the trigger for a few times. But somehow it just seemed a little rough for the price. I was sad when someone finally bought it and my chance was gone, but also sort of relieved. I bought my CLD on the rebound of that failed relationship. I'm not a purist nor wanting to emulate some guitar hero in particular, so I'm not troubled that it's not exactly an LP, just a fantastic LP-like guitar. Yours is beautiful. Rock that bad boy!

The bear likes this.
  4. bikeracr

bikeracr Supporting Member

I have a similar story about wanting an LP, but ended up with a CL that looks almost exactly like yours. The Throbacks are special pups for sure. The neck and fretwork are things of beauty. Now I’m gushing. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I love mine.

5. strumnhum

strumnhum Member

Beautiful, and I'll bet you had a great time finding it. I was drooling on the keyboard, while reading about the guitars you were trying until you found the right one! Congrats!!

6. rockabilly69

rockabilly69 Supporting Member

You did it right, you played a bunch of great guitars, and found the one that has the sound and feel you were looking for. Congrats on finding The One.

7. disconnector

disconnector Supporting Member

Thanks everyone! If anything the guitar is sounding better than the day that I bought it . . . like it's breaking in. But that would be crazy right?

I figured out what I was looking for in a Les Paul that I never heard but I hear in the Collings - it's like a tele is mixed in somewhere. I swear there is a little touch of Telecaster shimmer and top end chunk in the guitar. The crazy thing is that it doesn't thin the sound out at all - if nothing else it makes it sound larger and more dynamic. I can hear it acoustically (man this thing is LOUD) and through the pickups as well. Am I crazy? Does anyone else with a City Limits hear this?

The bear likes this.
  8. Byrdseye

Byrdseye Supporting Member

Congratulations, sounds like you found the one! (I’m anxiously awaiting my Throbak equipped SoCo Deluxe to arrive.)

The bear likes this.
  9. The bear

The bear Member

All Collings has a strong acoustic quality to them. Even the 360st which is a small solidbody alder guitar has it. it doesn't surprise me at all that the guitar is opening up and sounding better as you play it, that has been my experience as well.
    I haven't spent enough time with a CL to notice what you are talking about regarding the tele-thing, but that could be. We all hear differently though. The most important t thing is that you love the guitar!

10. romo

romo Supporting Member

I completely agree. The first time I tried a CL it was immediately apparent that they have this power and clarity that a Les Paul can't really achieve. I was really impressed but unfortunately I had just bought a different high end humbucker guitar. A few months later that guitar was traded and I had a flawless used CL Deluxe courtesy of Chicago Music Exchange.

The bear likes this.
  11. mikealpine

Ordered one today, should be here Wednesday or Thursday. Very excited!

The bear likes this.
  12. GGinMP

GGinMP Supporting Member

Beauty! Enjoy.

mikealpine likes this.
  13. GuitarNorton

GuitarNorton Member

Congrats what did you order?

14. mikealpine

Thank you! Maple Street Music in Atlanta had a NOS Standard with Throbaks on special, in Brockburst that looked beautiful. They also had a used Deluxe in Faded Cherry with the same pickups. I asked them to compare the two and try to explain the tonal differences, based on the description I went with the Standard. Really nice people, very easy to talk with, and I have 48 hours approval, but I can’t see any reason I won’t love it. Been lusting after one for years.

joesnewmatch and dougstrummer like this.
  15. PaulE

PaulE Supporting Member

I love Collings guitars.
    I feel the same way as you about my CL.
    The guitar that really floors me is the 290.
    Same feeling of quality but the tonal range and versatility of it is amazing.
    The other thing about Collings is their customer service is second to none.

16. The bear

The bear Member

You might like their new model, I-30lc. It has P90's. Really great guitar.

mikealpine likes this.
  17. mikealpine

There is a 290 for sale, also with ThroBaks, but i’ve got a similar enough guitar with 290s. And i’ve Been wanting a CL for a long time. This seemed like a very good deal, I would have regretted passing it up. The 290 is on Reverb, brand new, about $3350, if anyone is interested. The retailer is Guitar Riot.

18. disconnector

disconnector Supporting Member

Our guitars are probably sisters - that’s exactly the specs on mine. I’ve heard that they aren’t rare but they aren’t exactly standard production either. I *LOVE* mine!

mikealpine likes this.
  19. mikealpine

Wow, I didn’t realize how similar they are! Hope I feel about mine as you do about your!! Here’s a photo from Maple Street’s site.

20. GuitarNorton

GuitarNorton Member

Ah that's beautiful, very nice, enjoy!

mikealpine likes this.