Bought a Full-Drive 2 Today

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by scott757, Mar 3, 2012.

1. scott757

scott757 Supporting Member

I was looking for a medium to heavy overdrive pedal that could cover a few different tones. I went to the store thinking that I was going to get an OCD pedal, but after playing one I decided it wasn't what I was looking for. Feeling a little defeated because I knew that ALMOST everything else they had wasn't for me I tried the Full-Drive 2. I had tried it before and remember thinking it was just another o/d pedal and that I wasn't that into it. Well this time I spent some time messing with all the settings and the boost channel and was able to get like 3 different tones that were usable. I was totally blown away by the ground this one pedal could cover. Anyways, I was very surprised to find that it could do anything from a classic "pushed amp" sound to a good rock gnarl and everything in between without a giant mid-scoop.

2. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

Excellent pedal indeed.

You get the mosfet version? What kind of amp are you using it with?

3. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Silver Supporting Member

I had the same revelation just a short while ago. Great pedal!

4. scott757

scott757 Supporting Member

Yes I got the Mosfet version. I'm playing it through a Tophat Super Deluxe with a tele and an SG.

5. Steve73

Steve73 Member

I've had mine for a long time (old blue pull comp cut version) and I can't sell it. It is just too useful. If I had to grab one pedal for a gig, it's that or my DLS. Great, versatile pedals, a classic for a reason!

6. ItJustRocks

ItJustRocks Gold Supporting Member

I wish I hadn't sold mine...

7. JTL

JTL Member

Rocking the FDII since '04. A classic.

8. Prerequisite

Prerequisite Member

9. chervokas

chervokas Member

Exactly. I'm in a new band where I'm most playing keys (which is what I do best anyway) and only doubling on guitar on a few songs so I don't need a big rack of pedals -- tuner, vibe, trem, and one OD is sufficient, and I from my pile of ODs I wound up with the the FD2. It's the Swiss army knife of ODs.

10. Guitarbrett

Guitarbrett Supporting Member

If I could only have one dirt pedal, the FD2 would be it!

11. Bman20

Bman20 Supporting Member

i had a non mosfet fulldrive once and loved it. The only thing was the boost didnt really "boost" my signal at all. As in, no real db jump, couldnt figure it out. I guess all it really done was get just a smidge gainier, is this normal? (altho i no longer have the pedal), just curious as i may be interested in tryin one out again. Also, whats everyone's thoughts on differences/pros/cons from standard fulldrive to mosfet version? Thanks in advance

12. Davo17

Davo17 Member

Same, Id like to run it though my current amps.

13. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

I use a non mosfet, which I love. The boost comes before the drive, so it adds more gain, not volume, as you noticed. The EQ also changes a bit, it seems to get a bit darker. However, this is only in vintage and FM modes. In comp cut mode (which I prefer), the boost adds volume, gain and it seems to get a bit brighter. This is just my observations though. I run it into a dirty amp, it does sound different into a clean amp. I've never played a Mosfet, but I hear they're brighter sounding.

14. chervokas

chervokas Member

Actually all that the boost actually does is swap the boost pot -- which is a 1M pot -- for the regular gain pot -- which is 500K ohm -- in the OD circuit.

This changes the loading in the circuit so it develops more gain, and, as noted changes the tone to warmer and more compressed. It's kind of like switching between the gain pot that's in a Tubescreamer and the gain pot that's in an SD-1. Personally I love the boost-in tone, it's really creamy and saturated. But it should be noted that it's not actually an additional active gain stage.

15. freaksho

freaksho Member

love mine too. i have the Mosfet version but i leave it in the Std mode, and Vintage mode on the other side. it's for leads exclusively and i like 'em mid boosted with the highs & lows trimmed off a bit. and i like that the Boost is gain only, not volume 'cuz that gives me 2 different lead sounds to choose from at the same volume.

16. CodeMonk

CodeMonk Member

Been using the FD2 MOSFET for a little over a year now.
    IMO, a kick ass OD.

17. afterosmosis

afterosmosis Member

FD2 MOSFET user here, love it. With it, a Lunar Module, and a Katana on my board I've got everything I need for dirt.

18. Sigmund

Sigmund Member

Does it match good with the Super Deluxe?

19. jeffg

jeffg Member

FD2 Mosfet is the only dirt pedal on my board...

jwg

20. Muzzy

Muzzy Supporting Member

I've got one of the old orange fd2's. I've had it for years and still dig it.